Indiana Jones Quote?

Ah yes, the Ozymandias-like statue in the defeat screen. It is definitely a better fit than a dinosaur fossil.

This statue actually reminds me of a drooling baby! :lol:

Now that I think of it, though it may be a bit off topic, but the defeat screen fit very well to the poem Ozymandias:
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Now that I think of it, though it may be a bit off topic, but the defeat screen fit very well to the poem Ozymandias:
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
This is why I call losing in Civ V an Ozymandias moment, more specifically, "I got Ozymandias!" For example, if I were about to win a cultural victory, but another civ got to the scientific victory before me, I say, "[insert the civ that won] went to Alpha Centauri, while the rest of us (including myself) got Ozymandias!" When another civ loses, I think to myself that they got Ozymandias.

Oh, Monty got Ozy-ed! (note that getting Ozy-ed is short for getting Ozymandias)

I always pair the defeat screen with the Ozymandias poem before you mentioned it. I nickname the statue in the defeat screen Ozymandia in reference to the poem and the fact that the statue represents a woman. I believe that the person who created the defeat screen was inspired by the Ozymandias poem.

I added the Ozymandias poem to the defeat screen.

It seems instantly more epic with that added, I'm Planet of the Apes-vibes. They should have the poem narrated over the screen, though it need not necessarily be shown in text.

Now, if it had narration like this: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/arts/romantics/audio/mp3/shelley_ozymandias.mp3

This is an MP3 of a BBC Radio reading of the Ozymandias poem. If you listen to that narration, while having my modified version of the defeat screen with Darius's war theme, it will be extremely fitting.

This is why I call losing in Civ V an Ozymandias moment, more specifically, "I got Ozymandias!" For example, if I were about to win a cultural victory, but another civ got to the scientific victory before me, I say, "[insert the civ that won] went to Alpha Centauri, while the rest of us (including myself) got Ozymandias!" When another civ loses, I think to myself that they got Ozymandias.

Two things:
1.Whats going on in the mini map?!?
2.Getting Ozymandias should be a Civfanatics-wide term for whenever you get beat in a game of CiV.

You know what quote I really like is Einstein's quote for when you discover Combustion. That quote is awesome :lol:

Two things:
1.Whats going on in the mini map?!?
2.Getting Ozymandias should be a Civfanatics-wide term for whenever you get beat in a game of CiV.
1. See here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11723529&postcount=557
2. I agree with you. That should be CivFanatics' special term for being defeated in CiV (just like "Skilldorado" for finding El Dorado first and early and other such terms). All of us who played CiV should see the defeat screen (unless you never complete a game or only play the easy difficulties) and by getting Ozymandias means that you have to play better next time. I will help promote the phrase "to get Ozymandias" or "to get Ozy-ed" as a synonym for losing in CiV throughout CivFanatics.

1. See here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11723529&postcount=557
2. I agree with you. That should be CivFanatics' special term for being defeated in CiV (just like "Skilldorado" for finding El Dorado first and early and other such terms). All of us who played CiV should see the defeat screen (unless you never complete a game or only play the easy difficulties) and by getting Ozymandias means that you have to play better next time. I will help promote the phrase "to get Ozymandias" or "to get Ozy-ed" as a synonym for losing in CiV throughout CivFanatics.
Excellant!:goodjob:

"...who drinks the water I shall give him, says the Lord, will have a spring inside him welling up for eternal life. Let them bring me to your holy mountain in the place where you dwell. Across the desert and through the mountain to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon..." - Indiana Jones
There ya go!

"...who drinks the water I shall give him, says the Lord, will have a spring inside him welling up for eternal life. Let them bring me to your holy mountain in the place where you dwell. Across the desert and through the mountain to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon..." - Indiana Jones
There ya go!

Im sure theres some kind of rule against putting a youtube link to the theme, so you'll have to use your imagination"

Da-Da-Da-Daaaaaaaaa Da-Da-Daaaaaaaa

Oh, Monty got Ozy-ed! (note that getting Ozy-ed is short for getting Ozymandias)

I always pair the defeat screen with the Ozymandias poem before you mentioned it. I nickname the statue in the defeat screen Ozymandia in reference to the poem and the fact that the statue represents a woman. I believe that the person who created the defeat screen was inspired by the Ozymandias poem.

I added the Ozymandias poem to the defeat screen.

The guy who wrote the Ozymandias poem was the husband of the woman who wrote Frankenstein.

It was also the narration for teching construction in Civ 4.

Back to the original point, I think the Indiana Jones quote was used because its where the Petra is most famous from in modern day culture. I'm willing to be a few people didn't know about it until they say that film (I didn't)

Then again, we could replace it with Karl Pilkinton's view on it from an idiot abroad(would be fun for all the other wonders too)
Also, gonna throw out it was used in the adventures on Tintin too :p

Top Bottom