newbie: general gameplay question and bug problem

coleio

Chieftain
hi, new to the forum, just downloaded civ 5 and im hooked. i didnt see an intro forum so hi to everyone, happy gaming

now, the gameplay question, is it possible to garrison men in forts?

and the bug, i checked the bug report section briefly and came up with nothing so my problem is, where ever there is horses deers or cows, instead of seeing them i just see a load of streaks and lines, is this common and is there a solution? i downloaded it from steam, not sure if anyones familiar with it i was just too lazy to go in store.

and also i noticed there is absolutely no online multiplayer games available, is that a prolem on my end or is it the general concensus? if anyones interested in an online game maybe we could get one going?

and also curse sid mierers for not adding an irish nationality lol

thanks in advance
cole

The first thing we need to know is what expansion you are playing, it will be vanilla (no expansion), Gods and Kings, or Brave New World.

Also, just run through the first 2 or pages in the strategy and tips section, there are several newbie advice threads active at the moment.

thanks for the reply bud, pretty sure its the standard no frills one. is that why there are no online games, not that popular?

So far as the streaks and lines--that sounds like a video card problem to me.

Did you check the specs before purchasing?

hi, new to the forum, just downloaded civ 5 and im hooked. i didnt see an intro forum so hi to everyone, happy gaming

now, the gameplay question, is it possible to garrison men in forts?

and the bug, i checked the bug report section briefly and came up with nothing so my problem is, where ever there is horses deers or cows, instead of seeing them i just see a load of streaks and lines, is this common and is there a solution? i downloaded it from steam, not sure if anyones familiar with it i was just too lazy to go in store.

and also i noticed there is absolutely no online multiplayer games available, is that a prolem on my end or is it the general concensus? if anyones interested in an online game maybe we could get one going?

and also curse sid mierers for not adding an irish nationality lo

thanks in advance

cole

The reason you don't see any online games might be due to time of day/vanilla version of game. The game has vastly improved since the 3 years when Civ 5 was first released in the vanilla version. I would
recommend getting Gods and Kings expansion, along with Brave New World, as soon as possible.

As for the lack of Irish civ, The Celts, are your civ choice.

Yes you should be able to put units into forts and on alert at the very least.

thanks, skyojack, i just wanted to make sure i didnt have to do some garrison thing to seal the deal ya know? ha

docbud, sound for the reply. to be honest i didnt check video or graphics card, i wouldnt know what im looking at. i run an acer laptop with windows 7, about 2 years old. is this an easy fix like a software patch download or do i heed a hardwarse graphics card replaced?

Hi coleio,

Welcome to CivFanatics!

Please attach a copy of your DxDiag file. See this post for instructions. The DxDiag file will let us see more information about your system.

thanks petek.. here it is...... i think :/

this is a family laptop, shared with brothers if you get me

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    27.5 KB · Views: 32
coleio and Crafty Bison,

Both of you have the same basic issue: Your laptops use built-in Intel HD graphics and your video drivers are several years old. (coleio's drivers are dated 8/25/2010 and Crafty Bison's are dated 6/3/2009.)

Both of you need to find newer drivers. To do so, first visit the laptop manufacturer's website to see if they have updated drivers for the make and model of your laptop. If no luck there, go to Intel's website and look for updated drivers there. Note: Many members have had trouble finding updated Intel video drivers. Sometimes even with more recent drivers the Intel HD video graphics don't always run Civ5 satisfactorily. Try setting your video options as low as possible. That might help.

HTH

oh patek are the drivers hardware or software?? probably a stupid question but you might s well be talking to an infant when it comes to to this stuff

and also is this thing just called a driver or a graphics driver? im the guy with ocd that tears off stickers on.. well on anything, i can barely wear a condon ffs so how do i check my laptop model and relevent details for this problem?

right so figured tht out. can anyone tell me which driver i need to download? from here...
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

just stick in aspire 5742 into serch by product model and it brings up list. also will this remove stuff from the laptop?

im not sure if what im sking here is too much of a hassle i really, really appreciate your help peeps

The video drivers from the Acer site are no more recent than the ones you already have, so there's no reason to use them. Intel has newer drivers that might work with your system, but I'm not certain about this. At this point I suggest:

1. Change all your Civ5 video settings to the lowest possible. If that works, OK.
2. If after doing so the game is unplayable, or if you aren't satisfied with the result, post your problem in our Tech Support forum. Include your DxDiag file again.

Your system might not be able to run Civ5, at least not satisfactorily.

was a simple fix. when initially opening up and it ass to choose betweed two settings i had been using the recommended one, for me it was the second but if you choose the first the problem is resolved although it is a slight bit slower to load graphics

Top Bottom