News: TSG107 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 107
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the One Hundred and Seventh game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Diplomatic victory turn.

In this game you will play as Napoleon and lead the French Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized Continents map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until May 3rd to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG107 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Napoleon - France
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Continents
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Ancient Ruins are disabled in this game. Quick Combat is disabled. (You may turn it on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279. DLC is required for this game. You must have Mongolia, Wonders of the Ancient World, Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

In this game, you will be playing as France, you possess City of Light. Museum and World Wonder theming bonuses are doubled in your capital.

You can train the Musketeer, it replaces the Musketman. The Musketeer is significantly more powerful than the Musketman, making it the most powerful foot soldier unit in the game until the introduction of Industrial Era units. The Musketeer requires that you discover the technology of Gunpowder and does not require a resource to build them.

You can also build the Chateau. The Chateau is a tile improvement built by a Worker. A Chateau must be built adjacent to a luxury resource and cannot be adjacent to another Chateau. It provides additional gold and +2 culture as well as the +50% defensive bonus of a Fort. When Flight is researched, its culture increases its yield by +1 and its gold output increases by +2. It must be built in French territory. The Chateau requires that you discover the technology of Chivalry and you do not need a resource to build them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Sunday, 3 May 2015 (gives you the weekend to finish up).

The save will be available for download on 1 April 2015, midnight Central Daylight time (UTC -6:00) in the US.
The Save can be found here.

This will be my second showing for GotM. Emperor difficulty is right up my alley. Lots of salt and Marble is good. The only concern is the lack of production. I will move my warrior south-east to check the terrain out. Think i see a river in the south. I will probably plant Paris one tile to the south west by the shore if there is nothing amazing in land.

Yep, lake and river to the south. Looks like floodplain-desert SE of warrior so it's probably worth looking there and maybe move settler inland, but this time as it's not OCC i won't search for the perfect spot and loose my Settler to barbarians in the first 10 turns of the game :nope:
Production won't be terrible early with 2 plains with salt, but not great either.
Wonder how France plays for Diplomacy. UA is sort of useless but gold and culture from Chateau can help.

the designated VC is Diplomatic

Duly noted ;)

To build coastal or inland by that river...that is the first dilemma. I'm inclined towards settling to the right of the southern-most salt - unless there is something better in the fog.

I expect a few surprises in this map, seeing as it will be made available on April 1st :groucho:
Of course, France for Diplomatic Victory is probably the first joke.

We will probably be going against Greece. I'm not sure how wonderful culture and tourism will help on diplomacy. Are there really 18 CS?

Or maybe Venice and Austria and we'll have to crush them to avoid permanently loosing CSs (thought Austria wouldn't be half the nuisance it can be on Deity).
Culture is always useful to get more SPs so Chateau won't be a total loss. Theming bonus OTOH i really don't see how it could help.

Why do you keep pointing out whether Quick Combat is enabled or disabled, when it can be changed really simply anyways?

Oh, and of course huge thanks for all these great games :)

Or maybe Venice and Austria and we'll have to crush them to avoid permanently loosing CSs (thought Austria wouldn't be half the nuisance it can be on Deity).
Culture is always useful to get more SPs so Chateau won't be a total loss. Theming bonus OTOH i really don't see how it could help.

Well, unless you are using culture offensively to get them to your ideology....although I'm not sure what benefits that would have here. Would have been useful in Civ 4 @.@

Why do you keep pointing out whether Quick Combat is enabled or disabled, when it can be changed really simply anyways?
Legacy from a time when this setting was locked on game creation i would bet.

It can still be Diplomacy if I almost kill everyone and have enough CS votes, right? Sometimes you have to speak loudly and swing the big stick you carry.

It can still be Diplomacy if I almost kill everyone and have enough CS votes, right? Sometimes you have to speak loudly and swing the big stick you carry.

I think that's stretching the meaning of the word 'diplomacy' he he but yes it's a viable plan :sniper:

Done the challenge. It was fun, but so tempting to go cultural.:)
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

In future, once you open a save, please discuss the game only in the Opening Action or After Action threads to prevent spoilers.

Glad you joined us, best of luck in future.

Top Bottom