News: TSG5 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 5
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition once it starts.

A major update has recently been provided for Civ5, windows version 1.0.1.135. Some of the changes include fixes for cultural victories. In this game, your preferred victory condition will be Cultural. We have allowed both Policy Saving, as the city selling exploit has been corrected (we think?), and Promotion saving, as this is common in Civ4 and we do not think it exploitive (but you could prove us wrong?). We decided to see how effective these changes have been and challenge you to help us understand how they have affected game play. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Montezuma and lead the Aztecs to a magnificent victory. It’s a standard sized lakes map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. The preferred victory is Cultural, although all victory conditions are enabled. To achieve a cultural victory, you will need to fully learn five social policies and then complete the Utopia Project.

A note for Mac players. Your version of Civ5 is not yet compatible with the Windows version. Results from the two version would not be comparable given the extensive game play changes. We hope your next patch comes out soon.

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Update note: Firaxis issued a hotfix on 22 December. The details can be found here.

Civ V - TSG5 game settings
Playable Civ: Aztec - Montezuma
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Lakes
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Temperature: Temperate
Rainfall: Wet
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled. Allow Promotion Saving and Allow Policy Saving are enabled.

Playing as Montezuma, you possess Sacrificial Captives. With each enemy units you kill, you gain Culture for your empire. You can train Jaguars, which replaces the Warrior. They fight more effectively in Jungle terrain and heal damage when they kill an enemy unit. You can also build Floating Gardens. They increase the city's food supply by 15% and provide +2 food for each worked Lake tile. To build it, your city must be built next to a river or a lake.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! Please also attach a .Civ5Save file made after your victory or defeat, as we have the beginnings of a parser working that will check your game saves. We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the three week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after three weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

This game runs for three weeks (due to Christmas) and ends Monday 10th January 2011.

The Save can be found here.

Finally! Thanks!
This one will be tough. Cultural victory on emperor with a lakes map.
I am not sure, if I will pump out jaguars for puppetizing 2 cities at the beginning or try to build 2 cities by myself and hopefully be in peace the whole game.
Or wait, if I get culture for every enemy killed, than I wanna be in war all the time ;-)
Will be interesting to find a balance.

Finally! Thanks!
This one will be tough. Cultural victory on emperor with a lakes map.
I am not sure, if I will pump out jaguars for puppetizing 2 cities at the beginning or try to build 2 cities by myself and hopefully be in peace the whole game.
Or wait, if I get culture for every enemy killed, than I wanna be in war all the time ;-)
Will be interesting to find a balance.

should be an interesting game...

Haven't started a game since the patch; would love to see how the AI handles DoWs now. If I can declare war on a neighbor then just fight defensively and enjoy the culture... :cool:

Hmm. Does this mean that if we, the Aztecs, win a cultural victory, and our culture becomes dominant in the Lake World, that Sacrifice of Human Captives will be an accepted practice world-wide? :eek: I may need to lose just for the benefit of the Lake World.:lol:

I'm tempted to just jump right in as this looks like an interesting game. However I've handicapped myself by as yet not playing with the Aztecs. A couple of questions jump to mind in this respect.

Do barbs count for the unit kill culture gain?

How much culture does a unit kill provide?

My observations on the latest release are as follwos: AI gets faster research than before. Taking cities is harder so you benefit a lot more in investing in seige units (of course you need access to iron!). Cities recover rapidly and the AI and CS'es appear to get stronger sooner. Naval bombardment of cities seems to be less effective. I haven't noticed as many run away AIs with a whole continent under their control. Hopefully that will be the rule in general.

Promotion saving and policy saving are allowed (which is not the default, so you had to select those options, right?)

I assume that the fix to city shedding, however, is still in place? That is the new default, and you didn't select any option to change that?

dV

Promotion saving and policy saving are allowed (which is not the default, so you had to select those options, right?)
Yes, I selected the option to allow Promotion Saving and Policy Saving.

I assume that the fix to city shedding, however, is still in place? That is the new default, and you didn't select any option to change that?
As I understand, the game rules have been changed such that city shedding will no longer reduce the number of points you need to gain the next policy. afaik, there is no option to change this. You can shed all the cities you want but it will not change the policy cost.

Because of this, we decided to test with this game what the affect of Policy Saving is and whether players believe it is an exploit or adds to the depth of strategies available?

For some reason, I can't load the save that was posted. It has "Load Game" grayed out and has the tooltip that says, "Required DLC has not been purchased". WTF?

Fyi, I've got all the DLC's except for the "Cradle of Civilization" map-pack (e.g. Mongols, Babylon, Inca, and Spain).

Anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

***Nevermind, it turns out it was some problem with Steam (g-d I do not like them). I just exited and launched Steam again and it's working now.

Does the save work on Macs? Is there any way to get it to?

The current Mac version is one very major patch behind the Windows version, so it doesn't load this save. Even if it did, the games played would not be comparable, given the scale of the gameplay changes that were made in the latest Windows patch.

I hadn't loaded up Civ 5 in about a month, and here you GOTM folks go and post something interesting and drag me back in. This sounds cool. My record on Emperor is dismal and I hear the patch makes it even more difficult...I hope Spain is one of the AI. Maybe I can incite a conquistador to invade...

Have Firaxis allowed us yet to switch quick combat settings from within-game? How stupid is it that one can only make this choice once per game? Well, as usual I will be using whatever tweaks I can to reduce game lag without affecting game play.

Have Firaxis allowed us yet to switch quick combat settings from within-game? How stupid is it that one can only make this choice once per game? Well, as usual I will be using whatever tweaks I can to reduce game lag without affecting game play.

i recently found a way to circumvent this setting - the answer is: strategic view (F10) :crazyeye:
there is no combat animation in this view so before i attack with a unit, i hit "F10" and play a little battle isle :lol:
this also works in-between turns, so if you expect some combat action after ending your turn, just be sure to go into strategic view before you do. i used this a lot in the DLC-scenarios and immediately remembered the numerous complaints about this topic in the GOTM-forums ;)

so here i am, bringing strategic view to the GOTMs! actually i began to use it on my laptop because it was the only way i could play the game but now i start to use it on my desktop machine, too - that mode is really growing on me, especially during war with the right overlay (unit owner), attack planning and unit distribution is much, much easier...so give it a try, and maybe you like it too.

Firaxis released a hot fix on 22 December. (Sorry I missed this, Christmas had my attention...) :xmascheers:

Here are the fixes (click to go to 2K's announcement of the fix):

[STABILITY]

* Fix for various rare crash bugs

[MODDING]

* Re-enabled LUA library unused in the core game. It was removed because we didn’t think modders were using it, and apparently many, many are using it.

[GAMEPLAY]

* Fixed bug where as Siam, food from Maritime City States didn't provide the expected result.
* Make a few more negative promotions not pass through on upgrades
* Made the Mandekalu mounted unit have the same negative vs city as the other mounted units
* Increased the chance that the AI will improve sea plots

Top Bottom