What bad AI do you find the most amusing/annoying?

Cromagnus

Deity
Imagine how cool it would be if the AI didn't suck so bad at strategy, or if they didn't make decisions that no one in their right mind would ever make. Then they wouldn't have to give so many bonuses to the AI to compensate. Deity would be like playing against really good human players, instead of being a totally different experience. Man, that would be cool. I'm not saying it would be easy to fix this. AI programming is a lot harder than it sounds. But still, one can dream...

So, aside from the *obviously bad combat AI* (let's just get that out of the way), what's your personal pet peeve, or favorite humorously bad AI decision?

I'll start off with:

*Aimlessly exploring my territory with missionaries without ever spreading faith before they die from attrition*

Most annoying?

Foreign profets spreading their religion. They force me to keep inquisitors in my lands.

I can start wars because of this.

Most annoying?

Foreign profets spreading their religion. They force me to keep inquisitors in my lands.

I can start wars because of this.

I meant bad AI. That's actually good AI, but yes, it is annoying. :p

I changed the title of the post to specify bad AI.

Here's another one. I found a city state worker wandering aimlessly about 50 tiles away from his home CS. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but he seemed uninterested in going back home. I didn't want the diplomacy hit so I left him alone. He never went home... he just kind of walked around near my city for a while and then eventually got capped by a barbarian.

Wandering around with settlers or workers in enemy territory, because it triggers the "Enemy spotted" warning when, well, who cares? Most of the time it's at a game stage when I don't need extra workers anyway.

Of course the AI might be more efficient generally if it didn't spam workers it has no use for to begin with.

Spaceship parts/great merchant attacks! On my first immortal game (occ) science but it was very close and the AI were monsters in term of military compared to mine but I was still slightly ahead (thank you Hubble). Simi when Austria (a ginormous beast) DOWed me I thought I had lost. She sent a puny army that I massacred without loss and a.spaceship booster accompanied by a great merchant. Suddenly I wasn't so proud I my feat and it seems exploitative :/
Still was a great game though (won 210 quick)

I had a game as the Maya recently, I took over my continent. Took it over on a huge map, as in I had more than 30 cities. I expected to win at that point, of course, but I didn't expect to get to the other side of the world and find everyone going with 4 cities into the industrial era and having the ability to settle more cities on that side of the world than every other civ there...combined.

The civs that were there included France and Greece, neither with more than 4 cities. It was so hilariously one sided....

What I hate is when a Civ keeps making silly peace demands, even if you keep destroying them.
I was playing as England, and in 1000 BC Dido DOW's me. I beat back her initial wave, push back a bit, and she keeps demanding a truckton of compensation for peace. At one point, I had taken (and razed) 3 of her cities, and destroyed a total of 7 Composite Bows, 3 Knights, 4 Pikes, 4 Archers, 2 Spearmen and captured 1 Settler and 2 Workers...while I had only lost 1 Tririmere, 3 Composite Bows and 1 Pike. She still wanted 2 cities, 4 Luxes and 80% of my gold...

Asking you to join them in a war and then later - when you accept - denouncing you for being a warmonger. That is just so badly coded that it qualifies as hillarious.

In the same line, like shown above, when Civs that have adopted Autocracy blame you for being a Warmonger. Seriously?

Asking you to join them in a war and then later - when you accept - denouncing you for being a warmonger. That is just so badly coded that it qualifies as hillarious.

In the same line, like shown above, when Civs that have adopted Autocracy blame you for being a Warmonger. Seriously?

It's all propaganda

The fact that the AI blatantly ignores citadel damage.

Egypt marched their army over my citadel leaving everything that passed on 40hp. By the time the units at the back got past it I had killed enough with a single ungarrisoned city he began to retreat. The whole army died on the way back.

I face palmed and took his capital.

I had a game where the french would embark there units to try to get to my land but they were destroyed by my waiting frigates over and over.

What amuses me is when you have a city that happens to be infront of a couple of lakes and you get in war with an AI. It`ll send its tanks and troops and arty at you. Instead of avoiding the lakes, it`ll often walk into it, instantly turning its tanks or mega GDR into useless transport ships and be instantly sunk.

Another reason why the insta-ship thing is bad for the AI.

Top Bottom