AI doesn't take rep hits?

Nell2ThaIzzay

Chieftain
I think I read this somewhere on this forum, but I am unsure. I have never really paid attention one way or another if AI civs take rep hits with themselves or not via invasions, broken trades, etc.

I always thought you should be able to set your mood towards your AI opponents (in the way that when you go to your foreign advisor, you see that A Civ is annoyed with us, B Civ is furious with us, C Civ is polite towards us, etc.), and I do think that the AI should face the same penalties that you do for doing certain things.

So did I read correctly? Does AI not take rep hits?

Also, as a side note, not that I think it should happen all that often, but in the way you can offer gifts to other civs to try to butter them up, I think it would be cool if every so often (again, not a constant thing at all) an AI might want to offer something to you as a gift just to butter you up.

No réputation for the AI -> no rep hits.
Isn't this cool. One of the features I really hate, but nothing to do.
In fact I like trading in a way to rep hit them, just like this. So often in a gpt for ress deal i add 1 gp. Theoreticaly breaking such a deal is enough to ruin human's reputation, but not AI's.

1. Attitude is different from rep. You can do all kinds of things to piss off the AI (like raze cities, plant a spy, etc.) that don't have anything to do with rep. Rep hits affect your ability to trade and make agreements.

2. I think that the AI does suffer from rep damage in some way. If they break agreements (like peace treaties or military alliances) then I believe that they do end up hampering their ability to make future agreements, just like the human player does. (One of my favorite strats is to sign MPP's with a future enemy's MPP partners, declare war, then (here's the important part) let the enemy take the first offensive shot. All his MPP partners (who are also MY partners) declare war on him instead of me. It's a beautiful thing. Hey, even if it doesn't trash their reps, it certainly makes warmongering even more fun. :goodjob:

I think SimpleMonkey's right. I've certainly seen instances where an AI civ broke an agreement and didn't seem to be able to trade with other AI's as easily for the rest of the game. Don't know if it's ever been tested or proven, but it appears to be the case, IMHO.

Ahh but yes they do take rep hits for when you trade with them your foregin advisor will say "trade carfullry sir so and so is known as a liar and a cheat..."

whitecow said:
Ahh but yes they do take rep hits for when you trade with them your foregin advisor will say "trade carfullry sir so and so is known as a liar and a cheat..."
No they don't have any recorded rep with the human player. Their rep when dealing with the human player is entirely dependent on your personal opinion, otherwise the game might restrict your trading options when you don't mind dealing with a treacherous AI civ. The advisor will remind you of any past problems with the civ in question but the final decision is yours to make.

Imagine if an AI civ has all of one type of resource which you want to trade for, but the game stepped in and said you can't take luxuries from them because they have a bad rep. :crazyeye:

Zakharov has it. You are a human player; why should the computer make your opinions for you? If you think this AI is suspicious, you get to refuse to deal with him or even blockade him. But if you need the lux, you can make a deal even if that AI has broken twenty deals. It's all up to you.

I'm talking about rep hits amongst each other.

And the only reason I'd like to be able to "set my mood" towards AI civs, is to show them, and other civs, what I think of them.

I remember one game I played a long time ago, I had the Carthage in the game, and I was always making deals and alliances with them, they was my buddies :crazyeye:

And I've often played games where I started next to the Celts and they :mad::mad::mad::mad: me off no end.

I'd just like to be able to let the AI's know what I think of 'em.

In my experience, the AI will keep on trading no matter what, remaining 100% unaffected even after breaking dozens of treaties. However, I think that if an AI has broken treaties, it is likely to get betrayed by another AI.

Of course, this is kinda feedbacks the proccess, so in the end the game just enters in an unstoppable coil of backstabbing to the point treaties are not worth the paper they are written upon. Just like in real life, nationalism seems to open Pandora's Box

I can see why this would be fun against or with a human opponent, but the AI would not care either way, right? We get a kick out of seeing a particular civ we hate mad as hell, but I doubt a computer would care about our feelings, except as a possible detriment to trade.

Top Bottom