Preorders, DLC, and Bears oh my!

I think this is a smart idea and it could be a terrific CF community initiative for helping Australian users. All needed for this would be a trusted member of this community forum, living in the USA. This is how it could work:

1. Trusted US member creates a "CivFanatics Civ5-" Paypal account and publishes the "CivFanatics Civ5-" Paypal address in this forum
  2. AUS inhabitant sends payment for the desired US Civ5 version combined with his/her Steam username to CivFanatics" Paypal address/account
  3. After receiving the Paypal money, US member purchases Steam version and gifts it to AUS inhabitant.
More info about Steam gifts:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6262-QXCN-0755

As long as everyone keeps using the word 'gift', it should be completely legit too. :goodjob:

We could also get it from Playasia, though at about $US 61. Anyone have anywhere that can top that in terms of price/reputation?

I'm just somewhat wary of having to rely on others/proxies/etc to get around Steam.

Might be necessary if you want the Deluxe Edition though (and avoid paying extra 30USD!). I'm not sure about the D2D version either . It appears it's not available to Aussies at all (at any price) so would relying on a proxy work in that case? I know if I were to go with one of the deluxe editions it would be the D2D one as it sounds much better.

So now it's a tariff instead of a luxury tax. Thank you for the link.

I am however still doubtful of the 47% claim you made. Is there anyone or anywhere at all other than yourself who/that can corroborate your position?

Even something describing what these tariffs were in the past (before US FTA entered the scene) would help. Figures I am looking for.

Also, I don't understand something... If you're arguing this tariff or tax is real, aren't you pretty much answering your own question? You're asking 2K (quite loudly) why the price is so much higher here and then telling me the reason for 47% of the 60%. It doesn't make sense.

Tariff is an import tax. I'd call you a dolt, but then you'd just infract me for labeling you. :) Also a suggestion: if you want to find it out, look it up yourself. I got better things to do than hang around this forum.

I think you need to re-read the part where I'm talking about the Steam pricing. A US price, with US denomination, from a US company. Yet we're gouged.

Tariff is an import tax.
Quite right. I was being a bit facetious, much to my own embarrassment. :blush:
I'd call you a dolt, but then you'd just infract me for labeling you. :)
I wouldn't, but someone else might. ;)
Also a suggestion: if you want to find it out, look it up yourself. I got better things to do than hang around this forum.
Fair enough. I've said on a few occasions already I've searched for info about it no avail. I'm happy to leave it, but I'm not taking the 47% as fact.
I think you need to re-read the part where I'm talking about the Steam pricing. A US price, with US denomination, from a US company. Yet we're gouged.
Yes, true. What about Australia's branch (or whatever it's called) of 2K? Aren't they who you originally described as the people purchasing the units from the US and so having to pay the tariff? Are you saying that would only apply to sales made by Australian stores as opposed to the US-based Steam store?

the reason why you are moaning at 2k is because D2D now has a better offer than the one you paid for

And the reason you're moaning is because you're happy to 1) pay for the game and then 2) straight afterwards pay for downloadable content that was available (made) at the same time as the 'original' game, so in effect you're happy to be paying twice to get the game's original contents.

Doesn't that make you a bit of a sucker/fanboy? :confused:

Quite right. I was being a bit facetious, much to my own embarrassment. :blush:

:)

I wouldn't, but someone else might. ;)

Ooooo..... I hope it's Turner! His PM's reflect the utter grouchy mood he must be in perfectly reflecting his avatar. :D

Fair enough. I've said on a few occasions already I've searched for info about it no avail. I'm happy to leave it, but I'm not taking the 47% as fact.

That's cool, in your shoes I wouldn't either.

Yes, true. What about Australia's branch (or whatever it's called) of 2K? Aren't they who you originally described as the people purchasing the units from the US and so having to pay the tariff? Are you saying that would only apply to sales made by Australian stores as opposed to the US-based Steam store?

I'm sure Greg can answer that one, maybe add it to the FAQ. :mischief:

Roll your eyes all you like, you still sound like a sarcastic, uninformed fool. :lol:

Warlords added 6 Civs, DLC so-far represents 50% of that.
Beyond the Sword added 10, 30% of that.

3 Civs is a lot, and with even more sure to come as DLC.

I'd say it's a pretty big part of the game, you know, the game called Civilization. We should be the ones rolling our eyes, not him.

Just for the kicks, out of the two Tongan proxies (.to) I found, one leads to Steam at $50 USD and the other at 50 Euro's. The Tokelau ones (.tk) were a bit weirder, about 90% of them resulted in prices of 49.99 and 59.99 for the two versions, but without specifying a currency (it doesn't say USD as it usually might). Perhaps Tokelau confuses the region screening.

Whether or not the proxies were actually .to and .tk is another question.

And the reason you're moaning is because you're happy to 1) pay for the game and then 2) straight afterwards pay for downloadable content that was available (made) at the same time as the 'original' game, so in effect you're happy to be paying twice to get the game's original contents.

Doesn't that make you a bit of a sucker/fanboy? :confused:

You imply that because the content was made at the same time as the original game, it would have still been made if they weren't offering DLC. How does that follow?

Have you not considered the fact that these extra civs were only made because Firaxis could sell them as DLC? That some designer said to his boss "you should give us the money to make these extra civs so that we can sell them as DLC and make even more money"? And that if they had never had the plan to sell DLC, those civs just wouldn't have been made? Because that is how companies work, you know. They have to make money.

I prefer to keep a level head about these kinds of things, personally. It leads to a lot less stress. ;)

Quite right. I was being a bit facetious, much to my own embarrassment. :blush:I wouldn't, but someone else might. ;)Fair enough. I've said on a few occasions already I've searched for info about it no avail. I'm happy to leave it, but I'm not taking the 47% as fact.
Just to throw a spanner in the works I wanted to highlight something I posted in the other thread on this pricing subject...
(I love a Google challenge)
Not sure if this is relevant since it is not clear at what point the importation takes place, (but I have to believe that whenever it happens it is a digital transmission!) but I found the following information on the Free Trade Agreement between the US and Australia.

It includes the following wording:
The Agreement ensures that digital products, including software, music, video, and text, will receive non-discriminatory treatment and makes permanent the current practice of not subjecting such transmissions to customs duties.
To me this suggests that any tariff would not apply to Steam sales...but I'll leave the official verdict to someone with a better understanding of international trade agreements. Do we have someone like that?

3. We're putting together a webpage to detail for you what the different preorder bonuses are from the different retailers. We want you to be able to make an informed choice, and so soon we'll have that page for you to reference to see what all of your options are.
To everyone who wants to understand the different orders before 2K puts together this website, we already have an overview of all offers here.

It lists Steam, D2D, retail, Deluxe Edition, Special Edition and all combinations thereof with prices and content.

To everyone who wants to understand the different orders before 2K puts together this website, we already have an overview of all offers here.

It lists Steam, D2D, retail, Deluxe Edition, Special Edition and all combinations thereof with prices and content.

bah...all you have is the facts...you're missing the most important part...the marketing spin. :lol:
:sarcasm:

I have one question. As I am new to steam and ordered Deluxe edition, I don't understand how "the soundtrack" works with steam digital edition and all? Seeing how steam download and install works/manages having accidentally purchased "civ3 complete"... Will it like... download it separately to my PC or something?

I have one question. As I am new to steam and ordered Deluxe edition, I don't understand how "the soundtrack" works with steam digital edition and all? Seeing how steam download and install works/manages having accidentally purchased "civ3 complete"... Will it like... download it separately to my PC or something?
It hasn't been confirmed how they will manage the distribution of the soundtrack. I assume that they will provide a ZIP with MP3's, but it's also possible that they have some mechanism through which you can burn the soundtrack onto a blank CD.

Isn't that a key reason for us to keep up the complaints as well :sad:

Just to reinforce Dale's point, it's clearly got very little if anything to do with mysterious Australian specific taxes, or perhaps anything specific to Australia. New Zealand is also subject to the same (what appears to be an arbitrary) price increase from Steam, and NZ has different taxes, laws, etc. Either this is NZ and Australia being seperately rorted, or some sort of regional rort. Anyone got a Fijian or a Tongan proxy or something?

(and ignoring the even further inflated in store prices)

Copypost:

US 50 - $72NZ <-US Steam

US 80 - $115NZ <-NZ Steam
US 90 (Deluxe) - $128NZ <-NZ Steam

(Footnote: NZ is in fact, a different country, almost as far from Australia (average 2200km) as Turkey or Russia is from England).

My Innocent little self thought it was 80 US in America too. Why do they need to charge more, it's not like you need postage.

Maybe they put the price as it is in local areas (eg 90 NZD,) but because their website doesn't support NZD it defaults to USD, costing more.

Warlords added 6 Civs, DLC so-far represents 50% of that.
Beyond the Sword added 10, 30% of that.

3 Civs is a lot, and with even more sure to come as DLC.

I'd say it's a pretty big part of the game, you know, the game called Civilization. We should be the ones rolling our eyes, not him.

And there was nothing else new in Warlords or BtS except a few new civs and maps now was there? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom