Strange thing about resources from city states

Question

King
Is it just me, or you can't trade away extra resources given to you by city states? I noticed that if i have 1 silk and CS are giving me additional silk, the trade window only shows me that i have the 1 silk of my own and i can't trade away more than that.

The patronage policy that doubles quantity of luxury resources and +50% happiness from gifted resources is particularly puzzling. If i can't trade away additional resources, what are they for? And if i have 1 silk and i get 1 silk from a CS, do i get the +50% happiness or not?

Is it just me, or you can't trade away extra resources given to you by city states? I noticed that if i have 1 silk and CS are giving me additional silk, the trade window only shows me that i have the 1 silk of my own and i can't trade away more than that.

The patronage policy that doubles quantity of luxury resources and +50% happiness from gifted resources is particularly puzzling. If i can't trade away additional resources, what are they for? And if i have 1 silk and i get 1 silk from a CS, do i get the +50% happiness or not?

No, you can't trade CS resources away. The double quantity is for strategic resources. Yes, you get +50% happiness even if you have your own silk.

That's...not very useful. Actually, the whole patronage tree as a whole doesn't feel very useful to me....

The patronage tree used to be better when CSs gave more science. It's been nerfed while other trees were buffed. I agree that it's generally underwhelming.

Trading gets quite hard when you have to do it a lot and lose track of things.

That's...not very useful. Actually, the whole patronage tree as a whole doesn't feel very useful to me....

What about aesthetics? 20 point resting point with every city-state (not at war) combined with pledge to protect means free friendship benefits from 16 city-states on a standard map. The only downside to this plan is annoying bullying of city-states by AI opponents, but it's not a problem if you don't neglect your military. Many of the AI will attack sooner or later, anyway.

Patronage has become AN OPTION with the GnK expansion
In vanilla you could pay 1000 for an ally that would last ALOT
Now, gold do not give that much influence, and the influenced gained on quests is really low, you only achieve friend status, as in Vanilla you would get ally status
Patronage (I don't know the whole tree) is really good now, since it slows down the rat at which the influence drops and aesthetics gives you more resting point, I'm sure just those 2 make patronage an option in many games

Patronage has become AN OPTION with the GnK expansion
In vanilla you could pay 1000 for an ally that would last ALOT
Now, gold do not give that much influence, and the influenced gained on quests is really low, you only achieve friend status, as in Vanilla you would get ally status
Patronage (I don't know the whole tree) is really good now, since it slows down the rat at which the influence drops and aesthetics gives you more resting point, I'm sure just those 2 make patronage an option in many games

It really depends on whether Austria is playing... if they are, it often makes Patronage a waste of time, as by the time you get towards the end of the tree, there may not be many CSs worth allying!

New Advice: if Austria is in the game, don't go for a Diplomatic Victory!

patronage is great if you want to keep CS as allies... the 4 main reasons are:
1) cultural victory... at deity keeping religious city state happy is a must... and keeping cultural one is good (you have few cities remember).

2) military... allied CS military count in your military so IA does not declare war so often... and a CS with a good army at your frontier is really nice as it will build the units which will get burned 1st.... generaly some CS keep the "strategic point" of the map if you do not want to have to much military (or need someone to watch your back while your army conquer the other side of your empire)

3) maritime CS ... you want to go tall or not ? ;)

4) and obviously diplomatic victory .... if you have greece even austria will not compete... last diplomatic victory i was ALLIED with ALL remaining city states when I finaly build the UN . some switched side but not enough ;)
on the side patronage means better result from CS quests ... when you do it i generaly get some units from CS that i do not have to build even when i do not try to get them ;)

at deity wo patronage you are lucky to get (and keep) 1 or 2 allied CS and the benefit of 2 others in the middle game... when i do not do it i generaly finish with NO CS allied and perhaps 1 or 2 friendly in the middle game... (you do not have the gold to keep them)

Top Bottom