Trading Posts

I think they are gone!

Remember the brazilian UI? It was said that it gives +1 gold on the tile in some interview, and people on the forum started saying that only 1 gold is not enough and probably it is +1 gold in respect to the trading post.

But if the trading posts are completely gone, +1 gold doesn't sound that bad!

This.

The brazilian UI would make a lot more sense if the TPs are gone.

I don't care much if trading posts are removed, but if they are, they better replace them with something. If there's no choice between what to build on tiles, it'll take a lot of strategy away from the game and from controlling your workers.

Cottage --> Village --> Town would be awesome. Makes protecting built-up areas vital again rather than just retreat into the city and come back out with a worker after the assault and everything is back to normal. Need ranged bombard against improvements again while we're at it, artillery/air bombarding improvements just makes sense.

I don't care much if trading posts are removed, but if they are, they better replace them with something. If there's no choice between what to build on tiles, it'll take a lot of strategy away from the game and from controlling your workers.

I personally have improved enough tiles in my gameplay, I don't find the choice between farm and TP that compelling. TPs replacing farms and mines in high-output cities are the reason I can't automate even one of workers right now. I would find my gameplay much less constrained if TP's were banished.

The space for creative worker employment already exists and will always exist, in road-placement. I take my workers with me in all my wars to build freeways for my little troops, very engaging.

According to the "What we know" thread the Collusus looses its gold per turn. Maybe they've the deleted the gold acquired through the map (almost) completely, probably with the excption of Brazil and I assume also Holland and their unique improvements.

This could make sense -- you can't just pull money from nowhere, well, short of gold/silver/gem mines. Currency really only has value through trade and economics. Though I do realize that "gold" in the game is an abstraction of money, and not actual gold.

My hope is that this is a prelude to having properly connected cities be viable (roads branching between all cities, not just the capital), including roads between empires. It's always silly needing to have one road connect as many cities as possible in the most efficient way possible. Additionally, the first thing people do when puppeting a city is remove all extraneous roads which is just nonsensical. Why would we want to remove infrastructure that connects cities other than to satisfy the -gpt mechanic? Enemies already don't benefit from our roads so... Hopefully this is all in line with a trading post/trade route change.

One thing I didn't see anybody mention here in relation to a possible trade post change is that you get science from trade routes now and how it might change the social policy "Free Thought" in Rationalism. With science coming from the trade route, that removes the need for the policy to function in that exact same way. Maybe you only get science from a road with a trade post on it? Hmm..

Yeah, agree with this. Even if trade posts need some tweaking to really make them a viable alternative (such as gaining gold when worked for a time, similar to Civ4, and possibly grow faster if placed on a road), it's still nice to at least have to think sometimes about what to place than to just automatically pop down farms on any flat tile.

The screenshot also has two farms that are out of range of the city (unworkable) and no city ruins nearby.

It seems they really want to get the player to think of international trade routes as the primary way to make gold now.

I agree though that if trading posts are gone, we need something else, otherwise there won't be enough gold around. I really hope the lack of gold from the map won't encourage the AI to city-spam even more than it already does...

I agree though that if trading posts are gone, we need something else, otherwise there won't be enough gold around.
Or you might actually want to work some of all those "useless" luxury tiels like Incense, Cotton or whatever ... which might not be a bad thing on the bottom line. :undecide:

It seems they really want to get the player to think of international trade routes as the primary way to make gold now.

This, in that internal TRs appear to be extremely powerful (+9 food is almost twice as strong as the Hospital!) - especially in the early game - and the devs need to make the choice between them and international TRs meaningful.

Or you might actually want to work some of all those "useless" luxury tiels like Incense, Cotton or whatever ... which might not be a bad thing on the bottom line. :undecide:

But also this. The devs have been pushing in this direction with general gold nerfs for a while now; it seems that in their eyes luxuries are meant to be worked and not simply sold to the AI. And I agree with them, there should be a meaningful choice (there it is again) for how to assign your population.

I personally have improved enough tiles in my gameplay, I don't find the choice between farm and TP that compelling. TPs replacing farms and mines in high-output cities are the reason I can't automate even one of workers right now. I would find my gameplay much less constrained if TP's were banished.

The space for creative worker employment already exists and will always exist, in road-placement. I take my workers with me in all my wars to build freeways for my little troops, very engaging.

The worry for me is that if they're getting rid of trading posts, what happens to puppets? Without trading posts you can't replace those farms the AI was so kind to spam everywhere.

The worry for me is that if they're getting rid of trading posts, what happens to puppets? Without trading posts you can't replace those farms the AI was so kind to spam everywhere.

You annex some of them. Getting rid of huge puppet empires wouldn't be such a terrible thing for Civ 5's gameplay imo. Plus if SP costs will be lower (as some have postulated) it won't as much of a hit to your empire's progress to annex more cities.

Frankly I am afraid not enough gold will be removed from the map. Many players can survive long turns of (-) gold per turn in singleplayer by relying on stealing gold from the AI via trades. Alternatively bullying city states for gold loans works just as well. The longer you can get the food and production bonuses from internal trade routes early on, the better. These things will be massive boosts for wonder building

Many players can go whole Deity games already without building a single trading post. Its not really that hard to adjust.

Frankly I am afraid not enough gold will be removed from the map. Many players can survive long turns of (-) gold per turn in singleplayer by relying on stealing gold from the AI via trades. Alternatively bullying city states for gold loans works just as well. The longer you can get the food and production bonuses from internal trade routes early on, the better. These things will be massive boosts for wonder building

Many players can go whole Deity games already without building a single trading post. Its not really that hard to adjust.

It will be harder, if not impossible, to cover your deficits with trades with the AI, because the AI will have less gold as well.

Where there is a will, there is a way. AI get ridiculous bonuses at those levels already. I have seen AI make 700 gold per turn long before 1000 A.D. There will be little trouble if the AI gold power is reduced to say 300 gold per turn rather than 700

Top Bottom