Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, Samart.

I have a question:

were SoL and Frigates ever used for troop transport?

And I'd like to know from you what exactly these ships represent (they are MoW, Frigate, SoL and Galleon in the game):

Attachments

• sails.jpg
    sails.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 201
Micromegas said:
Thought I let you know, what's the state of things. So here's what I got now:

- monolithic installer for 2.66 and xpack 1.1 with full GUI, installs both in a single run
- creates programm group containing links to uninstaller, this thread (maybe replace with mod homepage?)
- displays readme when finished with installation.

To do:
- Update readme regarding installation process, maybe merge readmes for mod and xpack.
- license.

Thoughts, plz? I'll go and take a look at licenses now. Rhye, I need your input on this.

Put the links to both this thread and the site.

Remember that the uninstaller must remove everything was added in the installation. I hate when registry keys are left here and there.

Merging the readmes will be a bit hard. Do you want a doc or a txt? The doc allows to keep the pictures.

About the license, I really don't know...

Ok, I'll add a link to the site. There's nothing to worry about registry entries, there's no need to even touch it for the mod and xpack, just for the uninstaller itself, so it shows up in control panel/software. So it should be clean.
The merging is just to have the installer display all there is to read about RoC at the end of installation. It seems I can only call one file at that point and I think this 'forced reading' will save a lot of support work. But you do't have to spent your time on that, I think I can handle that - will send doc when I got to it. I just mentioned it, as it was on my to do list.
The license is the most interesting question, and the one I cannot answer. That's up to you Rhye. I Think the most crucial question is whether there will be siad 'best of the Mods' cd release. Do you have any info on that?

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html here's the copyleft license, essentially a free license that makes sure noone else is making money of your work which you released free of charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft here's an overview, too.
The problem with it is that it requires derived works to be distributed freely too, which is in general a good thing, but will be a problem if Firaxis should really decide to do a 'best of' as the Mod can't be a part of that anymore. The pro of course is that noone can make some minor changes and try to market that, ripping you in the last instance. Another problem is that I'm not sure if it is at all applicable, as would be true if there are copyrighted files distributed with the mod, e.g. animations. But I'm by far no lawyer anyway. Hm... wonder how other mods do this stuff, I never saw licenses with civ mods, but hw about other games? I for one do think there should be some kind of license, that would open other paths of distribution than just downloads. Quality is good enough to try to get it on game mag cds, imho... and that could help your application, right? ;)

What jsut came to mind is, that IIRC the BSD license does differ on the part of commercial redistribution. Hmmmm.... Regarding mag cds, maybe there's even a way you can get some money ofr your work finally, if you want to follow that road. What could be nice about that is that there would be no real charge to the user. Ah, all just unordered more or less random thoughts anyway

MMmm. What should I do to acquire that licence?

I'm going to send a notice to some game magazines; that installer would be very useful, and the license too.

But I don't think that I should make any money with it. I don't think that's lawful.

Oh, actually there is not much to do, we just add the license file to the installer and let the user click a checkbox to accept it or something like that, some licenses of this open source style obliges to mention the creators of the license or something similar, but there is no sign up or any such. Here's an overview on open source aka 'free' licenses http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

Geez, do we have any lawyers aboard? LOL

Open source is a bit misleading for the mod as there is no compiling involved there are no sources, but somehow it does apply as anyone is free to open the relevant files with the editor. (?) One thing that also comes to mind, as far as I know you used animations by quite some ppl, just to be on the safe side, ask them for written permission, I think email should be ok though. But I guess you've done that anyway already.

I understand why The Urban Militia==>Partisan==>Guerilla line was given -2, but why was the Urban Militia also incresed in cost?

Hm... Don't think it is absolutely necessary as the animations have been posted for use by anyone, but credits should be given I think (for politeness) and maybe an added disclaimer to be safe.

Please pardon my brevity, I just got back home from almost two days out of town, and it's now 1:45AM (was around 1:10 when I started to go through the new posts here. ><) I kinda wanna get the posting over with and get to bed.
Aeon221 said:
Recommended changes to ships in order to implement Age of Sail ships:...
I generally think your suggestion is great.

Rhye said:
A major problem is speed.

galleons and SoL should be very slow (no more than 7/20/20)

The fact that the galleass (9/9/9) upgrades to something slower (SoL) is a major problem.

Another problem: Galleons should probably be a bit earlier, but I can't put them too close to caravels.
But the SoL would indeed be far faster than the Galleass at getting from place to place... You can almost always just use some nearby sea to travel quickly along the coastline, and it's good to slow down the movement of the age of sail ships in completely coastal areas anyway.

Not sure if it matters (since the mod is nearly done), or if its even been discussed (hard to tell in 245 pages!!), but there are alot of civ traits that aren't combined.

For example these aren't combined:
Agri, Comm
Agri, Mil
Agri, Sea
Comm, Ind
Comm, Exp
Exp, Ind
Ind, Sea
Sci, Sea

Just wanted to point it out.

homersheineken said:
Not sure if it matters (since the mod is nearly done), or if its even been discussed (hard to tell in 245 pages!!), but there are alot of civ traits that aren't combined.

For example these aren't combined:
Agri, Comm
Agri, Mil
Agri, Sea
Comm, Ind
Comm, Exp
Exp, Ind
Ind, Sea
Sci, Sea

Just wanted to point it out.

I know this, but I prefered to give the priority to history instead of filling all the combinations.

Rhye said:
I know this, but I prefered to give the priority to history instead of filling all the combinations.

No problem, just making sure :)
I agree that historical relevance is better, jsut making sure ;)

Barak said:
I understand why The Urban Militia==>Partisan==>Guerilla line was given -2, but why was the Urban Militia also incresed in cost?

All of them were increased because AI over-produced them, as they don't require support. Those units are now the best choice for the civs with no resources and no gold. No matter how much they cost.

And they should also be very useful for any productive empire that needs to invest its precious gold in things other than its army... With the UM line, such a nation can mass-produce the weak, no-support infantry, and wage an effective war without needing to spend alot of gold on it, and without even needing to be in a gov't with good free unit support!
This line will be the weapon of democracies and republics. :D

Blas, the last sentence breathes a historical cynism I like alot :D Guerilla as the weapon of choice for republics ... like in afghanistan during the russian occupation... thumbs up LOL

Rhye... if you had to decide which page to link to, would that be forum or the modpage? I run into some strange problems when I try to add both. Guess that's because I'm utilizing some premade modules, esspecially for the registry stuff. Seems to point all *.url to the same URL. I'll work that out, but I get the feeling I need to learn quite a lot befor I can be sure not to introduce errors for a rather neglectable feature (err imho). So, if you don't mind I'd like to stick with one link in the programm group for now. Plz decide.

I just worked on a possible solution. Tell me what you think:

Galleass movement reduced to 8/8/8 (previously 9/9/9)
Upgrades to SoL instead of Frigate

SoL: 5/5 Movement: 8/22/22
bombard 8/1/2.
(Possibly 1 transport. Only if Samart says that they were used for transport, too)
Upgrades to cruiser.

Nothing upgrades to Frigate now.
Frigate: A/D: 4/2 Mov: 11/11/11 (like the Privateer) + Radar
bombard: 6/1/2

Ironclad A/D increased to 6/8 (previously 5/6)

Privateer 3/2 instead of 4/2. No radar, but they can enslave.
bombard: 4/1/2

Galleon A/D 2/3 instead of 2/4
defensive bombard: 6/0/0

No changes to the old MoW settings xcept bombard: 6/1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom