[MODMOD] Age of Further Discovery v0.03 for AoDII v1.12

I'm not sure if the version you linked, i.e., Age of Further Discovery v0.03e, is a beta but FYI I had a great deal of difficulty with this release.

When I selected certain countries, portugal for example, I got an immediate CTD. I reinstalled AoFD without this patch and everything was fine.

Great mod mod btw!

Remember: first install Age of Discovery 1.12, then copy over AoFD 0.03, then AoFD 0.03e

Did you install it this way? v0.03e shouldn't have any new bugs/issues compared to v0.03
Anyway, there are some other versions out there too, you can also try those
Unfortunately I don't really have time ATM to continue modding this too

I'm pretty sure I did. I'm not 100% sure though because the zip files have such similar names, possible I mixed up 0.03 and 0.03e. It's not very likely I mixed them up though. I was able to play the pirate "nation" just fine, portugal was completely bugged.

Would it be possible to merge with AODII certain features from KJ Jansson's "Slavery Market. The Orient. Port Royal." mod? AODII is my favorite Civ4Col mod, but the absence of slaves kind of bugs me, I've always thought that having cities full of "expert sugar planters" (etc.) was a bit ahistorical. For a game like colonization that is focused so heavily on the trade of goods between Europe and her colonies, it seems a little ridiculous to leave out Africa, the third point of the triangle trade.

I have myself tried to add only the slave unit and the Africa market/screen to Age of Further Discovery, but to no avail. Could somebody more familiar with the workings of AODII possibly put together a modmod that featured Africa and the slave unit? I don't really want the rest of the Slavery Market mod, just those two features. It's not like this in KJ Jansson's original mod, but ideally, there would be distinct "Sail to Africa" tiles a bit South of the "Sail to Europe" tiles on an Americas map.

Does anybody think they can help?

I agree about the adding slavery for I think it sets up some interesting issues which colonists had to deal with. I was thinking that this mod could also potentially use something of the Rebellion Mod from regular Civ 4.

Just some ideas to throw out since I'm not a coding type so I have no idea if they are possible.
#1: Religion: Add different religions with affinities towards certain groups. This would allow for more religious buildings but would create more tension and potential for rebellion.

#2 Rebellion & Loyalty: Have the loyalty count less Civ specific and more individual city. The Colonies didn't uniformly rebel against England. Have certain goods tied to the mother country such as cotton for England's textile industries. Cities heavy in those industries would have a higher loyalty factor. This would set up for cities which would not join the rebellion or if they did would have a lot higher rater of anger which would need to be managed.

#3 Other Nations: I've always felt the game was too geared towards combat than colonization because you knew the whole Armada/Grand Armee was coming so I think there needs to be factors where the colonists player can build certain wonders, use certain great people, what have you to court other nations. Having France, for example, gift lots of units or great people would be a big help.

#4 Lack of supplies: I think non-colonist units need to suffer a loss of combat potential outside any territory they do not own. This would replicate the historical need for them to have port cities or cities along rivers to get supplies. This "weakness" could also be temporarily alleviated by pillaging. Sort of like how in the Civ 5 New World scenario how ships get scurvy.

#5 Diplomacy: Like courting other countries, I think there should be a mechanism where the colonist player has an option to build/buy (whatever) diplomats or a wonder or something which they can use to diplomatically "attack" the native country. This could come in the form of lobbyists which get Parliament to have the King lower taxes (or not raise them as often) or reduce the rebellion counter. This could also set up a additional way to win: convince the Mother Country it is better to let the colony become an ally instead of fighting to keep them.

I like arkham's suggestions, and I'd like to add some input.

1. Religion. I second this notion. One cause of tension between the colonies and their motherlands (and other colonies) was religion. The Catholic French and Spanish and the Protestant English/British and Dutch led to the Seven Years' War, the founding of St. Augustine, and other conflicts in Europe and the New World.

2. Rebellion and Loyalty: I like this, too. Remember that not all of Britain's colonies rebelled in the New World. Florida remained loyal, as did Canada. With Spain, not all of its colonies rebelled at once. It first lost New Spain in 1821 and its South American colonies all rebelled later, and even then, it held on to the Spanish West Indies until 1898, when they were lost to the United States.

3. Other Nations: I agree with arkham entirely. If it weren't for France, there would not be a USA today. In Colonization, you can't seem to interact with the kings of other nations, even after you see them appear in the New World.

4. Lack of Supplies: I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Maybe if it were that units can't heal unless there's a supply train with them, then that would work better, like in the Charlemagne mod for CIV.

5. Diplomacy: Again, not sure how I feel about this. Diplomacy was not really an option for the Spanish or the English colonists when fighting their wars of independence with regards to their mother countries. However, diplomacy with other European nations might work, but that falls back under the "Other Nations" category.

In regards to the Diplomacy, it is true that it is mainly geared towards the English. Most people do not realize (because it is rarely taught) that the was actually a lot of sympathy to let the Colonist just leave because they were a big drag financially on Britain in many ways even as they were a source of vital resources. People like Franklin did a good job helping feed the line that it would be better for America to stand as a independent 'son' next to Mother Britain without bloodshed than soiling their relationship through war.

I guess my feeling has always been too many games and definitely Civ Mods have different ways to win but it almost always comes down to combat. Well there are plenty of combat games and I like winning in other ways. Frankly the U.S. might not have come about (or at least not in 1776) if the folks back in Britain had just said, "Okay you're right; you don't have a vote. So we'll give you the full rights of Englishmen and then you'll start paying down all that money we've spent defending you from Spain, France and the natives." Had they offered that, the U.S. might never have existed or we'd have ended up a Commonwealth country like Canada.

Adding slavery would add another dimension to the whole loyalty, religion, rebellion mix. England was in a bind with the Confederacy; they need the CSA's cotton but hated slavery. Likewise having more slaves would cause a higher amount of some discontent but would also raise the amount of "need" for the goods produced.

Also there was a reason for slavery: sadly Africans had (have) a gene which makes them less susceptible to malaria so they tended not to die like white colonists. (Of course because of it they are more susceptible to sickle cell anemia) Thus certain intensive crops should not be able be cranked out at anything like a high level without slaves. This puts the player in the same moral conundrum as the original colonists. The lure of cotton/tobacco wealth versus the risk/costs of slaves and the moral issues.

Frankly I think it might be cool if after a rebellion against the mother country, some cities would remain loyal but based on the factors listed above, some might decide to become a independent minor country.

I like the suggestions on this page:
-Mike Vick definitely has a point about slavery and triangle trade and I certainly would love to see this incorporated.
-arkham ideas are very interesting as well

I have always thought that Colonization was "wrong" in allowing victory only through independence. While in this game you know in 1492 that one day you will need to declare independence and fight a war over it. Historically, it was not even clear in April1775, the outbreak of the War against Britain, that Independence would be the outcome and there was no majority for it yet either. (Also, had the American Farmers known that they would ultimately pay way more tax for the War of Independence than the British ever intended to impose, the war would have been rather short and the colonies have stayed British then).

What imho would make the game more interesting would be to
1. Incorporate Slavery and triangular trade.
2. colonial development - colonists could at first only produce/gather raw materials and build basic buildings for processing them. Later, after either having supplied a certain number of that commodity or by paying a lump sum they could get the permission to build more advanced structures to process these. The same goes for production of weapons and ships. Being on good terms with the king should make it cheaper/easier to get these permissions or this support.
Technically it might perhaps be possible to use small world wonders for these permissions - just an idea.
3. Change the current Liberty Bell system which pre-supposes that you have to fight for independence. Improvement in productivity and culture points should not automatically hurt your relations with your king. Liberty Bells only count against the relationship with the king once independence is being declared (or during a "colonial crisis" state yet to be defined). Perhaps productivity would better be covered by a loyalty factor (loyal to the colonial government) which would have drawbacks for foreign nationalities (after conquests), other religions, and slaves.
4. Interaction with other European Kings - it should be possible to trade with them thus improving relations with them...possibly at the expense of relations with your own king (depending in degree on the relations between the kings)
5. Victory Conditions should be more diverse. Modders have already done a lot here by introducing economic and industrial victories. Perhaps victories like rum- or cigar-mogul (producing or selling a large number of these) or religious victory for a number of cathedrals, converts and missions could be added.

@Daniel Shays:

Good luck with your modding efforts. :thumbsup:
Nice to see that somebody wants to pick up this old project again.

This mod has been superseded a lot time ago. If you want to play one of the mods that picked up where this left off then I can recommend either:
1. The Authentic Colonization (TAC) mod.
2. Religion and Revolution which expands on TAC adding even more content and interest.

Enjoy! :)

If anyone still wants a copy of the original mod Roamty kindly donated his to CivFanatics!

So I've repacked it (215mb down to 180mb) with 7zip and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers here:
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ4col/AgeOfFurtherDiscovery_v0.03.7z

Roamty also gave us the missing original Dale's Age of Discovery 2 mod this one is an addon for too!

Aymerick did a bunch of releases with his final full one being v0.03 talked about in this thread however he also had a test thread for a v0.04 alpha too. Sadly that alpha appears to still be missing...

Last edited:
Looks like Roamty mixed the files around a bit as I just noticed in Dale's Age of Discovery 2 mod there's the missing readme files for Age of Further Discovery. They say v0.03 so I guess that answers that and v0.04 alpha is still missing. I'll grab the readme's and put them in the Age of Further Discovery download asap. EDIT: All fixed, download above updated! :)

EDIT2: We've managed to rescue Dale's original AoD2 and it turns out there were quite a few differences to Roamty's copy, so that plus the above mixup with the readme's it's looking like Roamty's copy of AoFD was also quite tampered with. So if anyone still has a copy of Aymerick's v0.03 and/or his v0.04 alpha please don't let the above rescue dissuade you from offering your copy of AoFD as I can't guarantee Roamty's copy is complete, untampered with or even works! I might PM Aymerick, it's a long shot as he hasn't been here in a long time but hey it can't hurt to try lol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom