Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Seriously Phil, Civ V took a huge step back by allowing massive ICS back into the game. Its so easy to win these strategy games with ICS. Civ IV managed to solve this issue and Civ 5 just ignored the best solution they had.

Sorry in advance, Phil, and walking the fine line that separates Ad Hominem from argumentation (which I will try not to trespass),

I just need to ask you this:

Who are you really?

I mean, you obviously know how to write, and well, and correctly argument, which suggests your intellectual profile is above average (which, to me at least, partially contradicts your "fanatism" for the most simplified version of this franchise), you write long passages full of ideas, arguments and justifications that sound very ellaborate... yet you just registered a few weeks ago, seem to aim exclusively at the RANTS thread, and use extraordinary amounts of time trying to derail any single opposition to the game...

Pardon me, but that combination of facts seems too suspicious to me. I mean, who in the world has so much time to defend a stupid game to the extent you are, WITHOUT any particular, probably unknown to us, interest in the matter?

So, pardon me again, but... WHO are you really?

Yes, I know, it's more of a rethorical question, because there is no way in this world that a person having a particular interest in "boosting" a conflictive and polarizing game, will confess that...and the source of his particular interest.

Sorry, bro, I had to ask. You know, "Contradictions do not exist; one of the assumptions must be false", as Francisco D'Anconia used to say, in Ayn Rand's masterpiece.

Regards,

If you're asking if I'm linked to the developers or publicity people for the game, I'm afraid (as you suspected, but not for the reason you suspected) I have to disappoint you. I imagine that if I were I'd have signed on and been responding to these kinds of rants for rather longer in the lifetime of this game than a few weeks. Actually, I'm a biologist working with IUCN.

I can of course argue both the assertion that Civ V is "the most simplified version of the franchise" (once again, look back at Civilization in its original form) and (as I have done) that a liking for simplification is any hallmark of intelligence (indeed scientists are normally thought of, accurately in my experience, as being generally intelligent people, and yet one of the guiding principles of science is the principle of parsimony, the idea that the simplest solution that fits the available evidence should be preferred). On the other hand, I think I've now done that several times...

My "fanaticism" isn't with Civ V as a game (I haven't much played it recently actually - possibly because I've been writing endless forum posts about it instead...), it's about combating sloppy thought processes and poor arguments. Back in the days when Usenet was gloriously full of off-topic threads and borderline-insane conspiracy theorists, I used to live there more or less permanently. Recently I've been involved in these kinds of arguments on Starcraft 2 forums, which is actually where I first articulated the difference between strategic complexity and diversity (using Civilization as one example) that I've since mentioned here. Which does naturally tend to prompt me to gravitate towards the contentious and moany threads, which can be high on disatisfaction and denigrating catchphrases (like "dumbing down") but short of logical argument or evidential support.

No doubt I've fallen into the trap of every Devil's advocate by overemphasising, or seeming to, the positive aspects of the subject of everyone else's disdain, but I'm more concerned with ensuring criticism is genuinely constructive if it's intended to be useful or to give the developers an idea what is actually wrong with the game rather than a random set of complaints or objections that may be misdirected. Take the particular bugbear of "dumbing down", a claim I've suggested multiple times doesn't withstand cursory scrutiny. Or the assertion that more varied options make a game inherently more strategically worthy, which can be effectively countered by comparing Go with chess (or chess with most complex games) - two games that differ by orders of magnitude in the options they allow (far more so than Civ V vs. Civ IV), but are very close to each other in terms of their strategic complexity.

I'm not concerned with arguing or "proving" that Civ V is a better game than Civ IV, or even that it's as good. That is, apart from anything else, a value judgment that can't be quantified. And even if I had 100% success rate in convincing people, for example, that Civ V is, in terms of its *strategic* depth (the element that interests me particularly), at least equal to any other Civ game, I doubt that would convince any of those people that it's a 'better' game - they don't like it because it's not as much fun for them, it doesn't have as many options, it just doesn't 'feel' right etc. So if that were the intent it would indeed be a futile exercise.

My concern is just with trimming out the weeds so that the valid concerns can stand. Below, Fallen Angel Lord tells me ICS is a problem in Civ V that it wasn't in Civ IV. I don't have evidence to reject that and am not sufficiently familiar with all levels of play in both games to do so; all I can (and do) say is that I can see theoretical constraints in the design of Civ V that limit ICS, I don't have the information to compare that with the situation in Civ IV (I'm more familiar with the older, ineffective corruption system). On the other hand I *can* categorically reject, say, the claim that city-states add no strategy to Civ V, for reasons I provided in the relevant post. That doesn't inherently mean city-states add great strategic depth to Civilization that wasn't there before, it just means that one argument against them is demonstrably factually incorrect.

Seriously Phil, Civ V took a huge step back by allowing massive ICS back into the game. Its so easy to win these strategy games with ICS. Civ IV managed to solve this issue and Civ 5 just ignored the best solution they had.

Although I noted that Sulla's review prompted me to reassess my conclusions about the effectiveness of happiness as a control on expansion, as I've argued in the past, I remain to be convinced that 'massive ICS' remains an option. It's not just the happiness limit (which can only be controlled up to a point assuming you REALLY mean "massive" - each luxury type can only boost happiness once, happiness buildings cost upkeep etc.), but for other mechanical reasons ICS is less viable than in Civ III and predecessors, even if you want to argue Civ IV. There are fewer tiles in the game overall, oceangoing movement for settlers is slower if you need to colonise anything beyond your starting landmass (and 1upt makes embarked units inherently more vulnerable to attack en route), and the ability to work infinite tiles within the city radius makes it potentially detrimental to settle extra cities within your existing borders, since they'll compete with each other for tile control as their relative culture levels vary. In most games on Continents I rarely have room to actually settle more than five or six cities on my starting landmass, and actually capturing cities is penalised in Civ V, which gives you one huge hit to your happiness resource, to a greater degree than in Civ IV, where you had two individually manageable resources - happiness and maintenance - instead.

However, as per my above to Aristos, my key points in my above posts have been to take issue with specific arguments that don't hold up - the 'dumbed down' thing, the argument for great strategic complexity (vs diversity) in previous games absent from the newer one.

Or such things as the suggestion that using luxuries from city states to control happiness involves no strategy - okay, if the choice, other variables being equal, is between a luxury you don't possess and a copy of a luxury you do possess in order to trade, is that much of a decision? No, not really. But then, other variables being equal, is a choice between Tribalism and Serfdom in Civ IV much of a decision? No, not really. It is, still, strategic decision-making, albeit trivial. If anything I'd argue (and of course have argued) that Civ V offers more real decisions and fewer trivial ones relatively speaking than Civ IV, but even taking a negative attitude to Civ V, I don't see that in any fundamental way it offers fewer meaningful decisions than its predecessor. In the above example, there are at least cases where you might want a tradeable resource over a novel one - if it comes attached to a maritime city-state and the new resource is held by a less valuable militaristic one, for instance, or if the city state offering the tradeable resource is also offering a strategic resource the other isn't. By contrast it's harder to think of situations in Civ IV, other than being completely broke, when you would choose Tribalism over Serfdom.

"Civ V allows ICS to a greater degree than Civ IV". Okay, I'll assume that that's true. Your own earlier point, as I recall, was that the game has been "dumbed down". At least as I understood it, that's not making the same case, so I can happily accept that while my other stands.

As for ICS making these games easy to win, that's surely another issue in itself. It makes them easy to win if you're the one doing it - so is that an issue with the mechanics, or with an AI that tends not to play the game that way and so is easier to beat?

Come to that, is the solution in Civ IV to counter this effect by limiting ICS necessarily the only or best way to deal with the problem? As Sulla's review argues, and I agree, these kinds of games shouldn't force players to choose between several bad options, but should allow you to choose between multiple good options. If we accept that argument, it's not great design to eliminate the ICS problem by making ICS unworkable as a strategy. Surely it's better to try and make 'taller' more viable by comparison with 'wider', so that it is harder for ICS to outcompete development-based strategies?

So allow some form of ICS, but make it less attractive, not by making it economically impossible, but by providing bonuses for taller civs, such as greater rate of social policy increase, quicker access to national wonders etc., bonuses tied to having a large capital (as with some social policies) and at the same time limit the benefits of expansion rather than actively penalise it - for instance by allowing everyone to work all your city tiles, by removing limits on population size per city that force you to invest in extra cities or ill health that accumulates with population size, by giving population fixed bonuses regardless of where they're living (i.e. each pop point creates 2 science regardless of how many cities you have, so you gain as much benefit from having an extra citizen in the capital as from having the same citizen in another city).

This is what I see Civ V at least attempting (and, as I've said often, diplo victory is - again in theory - another example. You now gain as many votes for having one city as for spamming the map). You, and Sulla, may well be right in arguing that it's proven ineffective - I haven't yet played the game at these higher levels, and frankly you can win at 'normal' difficulties with only three or four cities, making development (my favoured playstyle in any case) a fully viable strategy. It's also, having itemised the above, where I fundamentally disagree with Sulla, who sees 1upt as the engine driving this game and its various changes from the ground up - looking at all of the above changes implemented in Civ V, it seems evident that the motivation for a lot of the changes made was to better-balance tall play vs. wide play. And even though wide is still indisputably better, I do think Civ V is the best-balanced of the Civ games between these two options; tall is now viable in a number of circumstances and shooting for certain victory conditions.

In principle I think it's a better approach than Civ IV's, which has an inherent flaw - it tries to nerf city sprawl, but does nothing about the fact that expansion is inherently a much stronger strategy in that game than city development. So you just end up penalising people for playing effective strategies or forcing them to play less effective ones, rather than offering them equally attractive alternatives. This is a point I've made several times in various permutations, if perhaps giving Civ V an overly glowing review (probably because my Civ V experience is still limited, and so I see what it's doing in theory and like it from a strategic perspective, whether or not that necessarily translates to practice at all levels of play).

It's pretty tough to raise an efficient ICS strat since the last patch. Other strats are more efficient, at least for civ5.

Try to catch an efficient ICS strat in the S&T forum, you will not find any since june 2011.

Don't search what is wrong with this game, it's pretty clear now that is the poor implemented AI and the fact that fewer options are available(because it's still a vanilla game). At the opposite, playing against humans is more fun with this game because humans know how to handle civ5's 1upt and diplomacy.

I'm repeating again :

civ5>civ4 multiplayer
civ4>civ5 singleplayer

It's pretty tough to raise an efficient ICS strat since the last patch. Other strats are more efficient, at least for civ5.

Try to catch an efficient ICS strat in the S&T forum, you will not find any since june 2011.

ICS is gone for good but the problem is that they didn't bring any new alternative strategies. After the only strategy (ICS) was removed, all is left is a strategy game that has no viable strategies. It's still possible and even easy to beat high levels by simply abusing the AI incompetence in tactical warfare and RAs.

ICS is gone for good but the problem is that they didn't bring any new alternative strategies. After the only strategy (ICS) was removed, all is left is a strategy game that has no viable strategies.

See Snarzberry's Stealth Bomber thread.

It's still possible and even easy to beat high levels by simply abusing the AI incompetence in tactical warfare and RAs.

What, you mean like in Civ 4, where you beat high levels by abusing the AI incompetence in warfare generally and by abusing tech trading?

Hey, people are still reading my articles on Civ5? Nice! You do realize that that was written in December 2010 though, correct? The ICS stuff is pretty outdated by patches at this point in time. Of course, that doesn't mean that the patches made things that much better - they replaced one set of gameplay problems with other gameplay problems.

I'll try to keep this short: Civ5 was intended to be a complex game in the tradition of other empire-building strategy games. The problem with Civ5 has always been, and ever will be, that the core design has intrinsic flaws that undermine these goals. Civ5 is INTENDED to be a deep strategic game, but because it is poorly designed and has weak AI programming, it never gets anywhere close to those ends. The game works fine for inexperienced players at low/medium difficulty. However, the design completely falls apart with expert players on the top difficulties. The same simple, basic tactics (based around selling resources and purchasing research agreements) will win on Deity nearly all of the time. The only way the AI can win is to attack with ridiculous overwhelming force in the early game, and roll over the player before he/she can get going. There's just not much to this system.

I'll point out here two hugely flawed gameplay systems that undercut what Civ5 is trying to do, things the developers either missed or didn't understand. The first is expansion. Like most empire building games, in past Civ games you wanted to expand rapidly and claim as much land as possible. Land = population = power. But Civ5 had the backwards design goal of "making small empires competitive with large ones". This is completely wrong; if large empires are no better than small ones, then why bother expanding? What's the point? In Civ5, it is frequently easier to win on high difficulty with just 3-4 cities instead of trying to expand (due to the way research agreements and Great Scientists can knock out the tech tree without actually coming up with beakers, and yes, this is also very shoddy design work!) But this mistake with expansion design instantly removes much of the conflict from the game. In Civ4, it *MATTERS* where your cities are placed, it *MATTERS* whether you have a floodplains + gems city spot, etc. If you have 3 cities and they have 10, you are in deep trouble. In Civ5, resources are almost entirely interchangeable and you only need a few cities to win. Thus the design removes the key driving force of the game (civs competing over limited land) and has to design artificial conflicts instead (insane AIs declaring war endlessly). The Small/Large dynamic is done completely wrong in Civ5, and it undercuts everything the game is trying to do.

The other point I'll bring up is how gold functions in Civ5. The designers said they "wanted to make gold more important" in Civ5, and in achieving that goal they screwed up the careful balance of past Civ games. In Civ3, you couldn't rush things with gold until getting out of Despotism (early medieval era), and the easy use of gold to rush things was corrosive to longterm planning (when a crisis comes up, just spend your way out of it by cash-rushing). Civ4 wisely made it very difficult to rush production with gold, although lategame Universal Suffrage did make it possible. Civ5 makes gold the ubiquitous currency: everything purchasable on demand instantly, right from the start of the game. That sounds like a good idea, but it isn't. Once you have gold, you can do anything with it. Anything. For example, building a settler is supposed to represent a strategic tradeoff: your city stops growing to produce the settler, thus slowing city growth to expand. That's how it's supposed to work. But in Civ5, I can sell my resource to an AI for 300 gold, then purchase a settler with the gold (or even worse, I can find "Skilldorado" and magically get 500 gold for doing nothing). Now I've got a settler and I didn't have to make any kind of tradeoff. Ooops!

High-level play in Civ5 is entirely based around exploiting the AI for maximum gold extraction, and then funneling that gold back into your civ to speed up the growth curve. I shouldn't really say just how exploitative you can really be with this, using resource sales, Open Border sales, gold/turn for flat gold trades, phony wars to break deals, selling cities to the AI, and so on. Pull thousands of gold out of the ether literally for free, and then channel it into free workers/settlers/city states/research agreements. The game has little to do with building an empire, and more to do with extracting free wealth from the AIs. That's a direct result of very poor design work from Firaxis. Try looking at tommynt's games to see just how abusive you can really be to the AIs. Again, this wasn't what the designers intended, but it completely destroys their intended goals because they didn't understand the consequences of what they were doing.

That's in addition to atrocious combat AI, terrible diplomacy, crippled modding, some of the worst documentation I've seen in ages from a major developer, and barely functional Multiplayer (I'm sorry, but when you can't have more than 4 people in a game reliably, it's not acceptable!) They just did a bad job with this one. That's not to say you can't still have fun with Civ5, but the game's design just falls apart in the hands of experienced players. I think you just haven't reached that level of engagement yet, Phil. If you can ignore that stuff, and play recreationally without going into too much depth, then Civ5 can be a good bit of fun. It's not for me though.

Hey, people are still reading my articles on Civ5? Nice! You do realize that that was written in December 2010 though, correct?

No, nobody does. People will also in 20 years still link back to it.
Please write another one.

Hey, people are still reading my articles on Civ5? Nice! You do realize that that was written in December 2010 though, correct? The ICS stuff is pretty outdated by patches at this point in time. Of course, that doesn't mean that the patches made things that much better - they replaced one set of gameplay problems with other gameplay problems.

I'll try to keep this short: Civ5 was intended to be a complex game in the tradition of other empire-building strategy games. The problem with Civ5 has always been, and ever will be, that the core design has intrinsic flaws that undermine these goals. Civ5 is INTENDED to be a deep strategic game, but because it is poorly designed and has weak AI programming, it never gets anywhere close to those ends.

While this is undoubtedly true in part, I'd argue (as I did in a previous post) that there's a more fundamental tension with this approach: Civ5 was intended to be a deep strategic game. Civilization was not. Civilization has always had a strategic aspect, but has also always been first and foremost an empire simulator-cum-historical-sandbox. Forcing Civ into a 'pure strategy game' straitjacket doesn't fail principally because Civ 5 is poorly designed, it fails because that's a type of game Civilization has NEVER been (again, something it would be lengthy to reiterate but which I argued at length several pages back):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11112585&postcount=1355

End result, if you turn a Civ game into something that resembles a pure strategy game, it's going to look (and be) shallow as much because of the Civilization engine it's based on as poor design decisions in the modern version. I'd still argue that Civ V at least has the potential to be at least as strategically "deep" as earlier incarnations - sure you may only get to play with one strategy, but that's really pretty much true of the older games at those levels as well. As I've also discussed at length, strategic complexity lies in the options you have for executing a chosen strategy, not the number of strategies you can choose from to begin with, and in all Civ games these are essentially similar (and limited):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11123574&postcount=1393

The problem comes when you're trying to add strategy to a Civ game at the expense of trappings that people like about the franchise - historical detail, tech progression that makes logical sense rather than necessarily being structured around gameplay balance (yes, I still think the granary and aqueduct bonuses in Civ V are at more appropriate junctures in the tech tree, gameplay-wise, than the granary was in earlier games. But it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Ditto the gameplay benefits you gain from nuclear fission are quite reasonably independent of those you get going down the 'flight etc.' tech path - but produces the logically strange result that you get nuclear submarines without having researched Atomic Theory), mechanics like religion which had a random element that fits badly with strategic play, but which people LIKE because they're fun.

This is because the Civ engine has very limited flexibility in how far it can be pushed towards being a 'true' strategy game due to its inherent limitations, and so you can only gain so much by focusing on that aspect - in terms of strategic depth it's never going to be Starcraft or Total War, let alone chess. At the same time, you can lose a great deal more by neglecting all the other aspects that made the franchise so popular. So simply as a cost/benefit calculation, adding strategic complexity at the expense of other elements is a nonstarter. Bad AI exacerbates the problem, but didn't create it.

The game works fine for inexperienced players at low/medium difficulty. However, the design completely falls apart with expert players on the top difficulties. The same simple, basic tactics (based around selling resources and purchasing research agreements) will win on Deity nearly all of the time. The only way the AI can win is to attack with ridiculous overwhelming force in the early game, and roll over the player before he/she can get going. There's just not much to this system.

Yes, certainly I've noticed that if I survive the early 'cheese' on King, I last the game, whether or not I win. I compared the AI to a high-risk play in Starcraft (defined in that game as "cheese"), whereby you go for an early 'all-in' that will win you the game on the spot, or condemn you to eventual defeat. It struck me that "cheesing" is the only way the AI knows how to play the game.

I'll point out here two hugely flawed gameplay systems that undercut what Civ5 is trying to do, things the developers either missed or didn't understand. The first is expansion. Like most empire building games, in past Civ games you wanted to expand rapidly and claim as much land as possible. Land = population = power. But Civ5 had the backwards design goal of "making small empires competitive with large ones". This is completely wrong; if large empires are no better than small ones, then why bother expanding? What's the point?

The point, and I consider it a good one, is to promote different strategies that suit different situations - rather than "always expand is always best". I've noted in past posts that, seen at the broadest scale, earlier Civ titles had a grand total of one strategy - commonly called ICS here, but even if "true" ICS in terms of completely plastering the map with cities was abandoned in Civ IV, the essential structure of the strategy remained the same even there - more cities better than fewer. More cities = more pop = more science = science victory. More science = better military (=domination victory), better culture building access (=culture victory), faster UN (=diplo victory). More cities = more units/faster spaceship parts (=domination/science victory). More pop = diplo victory.

Civ V's key attempts to counteract this are (1) decoupling population bonuses from number of cities, most importantly the science bonus. Population now grows at much the same rate everywhere, with no constraints on city growth from health or arbitrary population limits, and has exactly the same effects on science everywhere, rather than being tied to commerce, and (2) in the same vein, making it possible to achieve at least three of the victory conditions with smaller empires - science due to partially decoupling the science/city relationship, diplo due to decoupling the diplo victory/population relationship, and culture due to reducing the rate of policy growth as you expand.

So now we have choices of social policies which can be used to complement either tall (such as Tradition) or wide (such as Liberty) strategies aimed at achieving a given victory condition, and civilization UAs which are in many cases tailored to winning using one or other strategy - France doesn't benefit particularly from playing "tall", while India (rather randomly) even has an achievement that promotes particularly tall play (as few as three cities, presumably a nod to the Civ IV cultural victory condition) in order to achieve a cultural victory.

As you say, though, and once again coming back to my earlier contention about the unwise effort to turn Civ into a "strategy game" first and foremost, Civilization has always been about empire building. In large part it attracts players who *want* to expand a lot - who's going to play an empire-building game to play an empire of three cities, regardless of whether or not that provides a strategically interesting option?

In Civ5, it is frequently easier to win on high difficulty with just 3-4 cities instead of trying to expand (due to the way research agreements and Great Scientists can knock out the tech tree without actually coming up with beakers, and yes, this is also very shoddy design work!)

That is shoddy design work, but as above I think it's somewhat independent of whether you go for tall vs. wide, since as above tall is now much better (relative to older Civ titles) at producing beakers. It's shoddy design work mainly because they had to remove tech trading because it would allow too-quick technological progression with the truncated tech tree - and yet they replace it with a mechanism that has the same effect, not to mention overdoing the Great Scientist bonus which worked fine as it was in Civ IV (and, incidentally, now gives you little to no incentive to actually create an academy, and not just because the changes to the way culture works mean you need all the space for landmarks since culture bombs are now so situational, and do nothing to help social policy progression or even individual city culture, that using the artist for anything other than landmarks is almost as bad as using scientists for anything other than free tech).

High-level play in Civ5 is entirely based around exploiting the AI for maximum gold extraction, and then funneling that gold back into your civ to speed up the growth curve. I shouldn't really say just how exploitative you can really be with this, using resource sales, Open Border sales, gold/turn for flat gold trades, phony wars to break deals, selling cities to the AI, and so on. Pull thousands of gold out of the ether literally for free, and then channel it into free workers/settlers/city states/research agreements. The game has little to do with building an empire, and more to do with extracting free wealth from the AIs.

So far, my main issue with gold availability has been how easy it is to grab city states, combined with how easy it is to hold onto them with Patronage - my preferred solution has been to cap the level of influence you can buy over a CS, forcing quests to build and maintain ally status; however I also agree with everything in the above analysis.

That's in addition to atrocious combat AI, terrible diplomacy, crippled modding, some of the worst documentation I've seen in ages from a major developer, and barely functional Multiplayer (I'm sorry, but when you can't have more than 4 people in a game reliably, it's not acceptable!)

Yes, my last attempt to play Civ 5 multiplayer lasted perhaps 10 turns. And that was being patient with two or three reloads in that time.

Phil

Allowing people to substitute anything for actual production has always been one of the flaws of the Civ series; it was refreshing to see pop rushing finally gone, but I agree with Sullla as far as Gold Rushing in Civ 5 is concerned.

When it was pointed out just how bad it was, their response was not to get rid of gold rushing, but just to make gold rarer.

ICS is gone for good but the problem is that they didn't bring any new alternative strategies. After the only strategy (ICS) was removed, all is left is a strategy game that has no viable strategies. It's still possible and even easy to beat high levels by simply abusing the AI incompetence in tactical warfare and RAs.

The issue here is that they heaped more penalties on without fixing the core problem. I haven't played it much since that patch though. You don't need that much strategy to win Civ V. The AI's military strategy is basically as dumb as a rock and so many things like research agreements like Sulla Mentioned just break the game for experienced players. The AI is broken but as a whole, the entire core mechanic just basically sucks. Micro-managing is an essential part of Civ, trying to take that out is simply not going to work.

Outside of ICS sprawl, I'd argue that Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri compares favorably with its successors.

Then there are other things like ancient ranged units being able to take out GDR's by shooting arrows from a distance on it. Ranged warfare is a good concept but seriously Modern Armor has more range than any armor ever had.

Also the whole "archer can swim across ocean without transport" thing is pretty stupid. Do they really think people are that stupid that they can't pair a transport up with units?

Civ V, regardless of whichever way you cut it tries to take complexity out of the game to make it easier for Civ newbs but ends up ruining what could have been a great game.

Then there are other things like ancient ranged units being able to take out GDR's by shooting arrows from a distance on it. Ranged warfare is a good concept but seriously Modern Armor has more range than any armor ever had.

I'd see this as another example of what I mentioned of tech progression that's designed to play well in the game regardless of being illogical when considered as a simulation (like granary that makes food/aqueduct that stores it). Ignore the fact that Unit X has the name "Archer" and Unit Y has the name "Giant Death Robot". Is it a reasonable gameplay mechanic that 10 Xes kill one Y? I'd say yes.

Also the whole "archer can swim across ocean without transport" thing is pretty stupid.

The whole "Archer can survive for centuries away from cities without food and with infinite ammunition" thing of all Civ games is at least equally stupid...

Do they really think people are that stupid that they can't pair a transport up with units?

I think they realised, correctly, that creating transport units and moving them to the points where your units were sitting in order to cross oceans (not to mention needing to wait until Caravel tech to even hop to islands you could reach by passing through coastal squares, even though you'd developed fishing boats centuries earlier) isn't actually any fun at all, and at the same time it adds exactly nothing to gameplay. It's not even any more complex than having to develop technology to allow you to cross first coastal and then ocean squares, it just means you have to produce extra units.

Also, had they been thinking in terms of a simulation, they'd realise how stupid it was that one unit of transport ships could carry eight complete armies...

Phil

Ignore the fact that Unit X has the name "Archer" and Unit Y has the name "Giant Death Robot". Is it a reasonable gameplay mechanic that 10 Xes kill one Y? I'd say yes.
But as Angel Lord says, if X is an archer and Y is a GDR then there is absolutely no way even hundreds of archers could take out that kind of thin completely covered with heavy armour.

It's not even any more complex than having to develop technology to allow you to cross first coastal and then ocean squares, it just means you have to produce extra units.
Oceans are much more dangerous than coastal naval areas. None of the ancient navigators like Phoenicia ever tried to cross the Atlantic.

Also, had they been thinking in terms of a simulation, they'd realise how stupid it was that one unit of transport ships could carry eight complete armies...
Yeah, ciV sort of does not support that, it'll be like Civ Rev, a single galley can carry dozens of tank armies.

I've played ciV some times on my friend's PC, didn't like it too much so I have no intention of buying it. I prefer RFC any day of the week, both for complexity, fun and balance.

But as Angel Lord says, if X is an archer and Y is a GDR then there is absolutely no way even hundreds of archers could take out that kind of thin completely covered with heavy armour.

You're imagining it from a 'real-world' perspective (insofar as giant death robots can be considered "real-world"). The developers are not. To the game a name is just a placeholder - a nuclear sub, say, is just a name that's appropriate for the particular technology it's associated with, just as a granary is a name that's appropriate for a building created with pottery, despite the fact that in game terms its effect is not equivalent to the effect of a real-world granary. It's not meant to accurately reflect what nuclear subs do in the real world (for instance, use nuclear power - since you can have nuclear subs without either uranium or any of the nuclear techs).

Catapults require iron while pikemen do not; this makes no real-world sense, but works well from a balance perspective, because it's vital for game balance that civs without iron have access to decent medieval infantry, and it's also vital for game balance that you can't spam early siege tech.

Archers vs. robots are the same thing - ranged units need to be able to deal at least 1 damage to their targets so that even the toughest unit can actually be killed. "Archer" and "Giant Death Robot" are just more-or-less arbitrary names given to units with those mechanics.

Oceans are much more dangerous than coastal naval areas. None of the ancient navigators like Phoenicia ever tried to cross the Atlantic.

No, I'm not suggesting that crossing oceans shouldn't be more difficult than crosssing the coastal waters. I'm pointing out that the Civ V approach is not, as suggested, simpler than the Civ IV approach - and in this specific instance (in contrast to any of the above) actually makes a reasonable degree of sense.

Firstly, in Civ IV you don't learn how to navigate across oceans when you discover Navigation; you learn how to build specific types of ship that have as one of their unit rules the ability to cross oceans, and from that point on all other ships in the tech tree have the same rule. This intuitively makes less sense than the tech itself unlocking 'cross ocean' as it does in Civ V.

Secondly, in Civ IV, you can create fishing boats that can use coastal (and indeed ocean) squares as soon as you get Sailing. You can get triremes that cross coastal squares as quickly. But you have centuries of turns before you can do anything other than sail around the nearby islands you've discovered looking at the natives - because the first ship with transport capability, the Caravel, doesn't become available until Optics. Okay, this is also true in Civ V - however in Civ V once you get Optics anyone can embark/disembark, you don't need to create a fleet of ships with a carrying capacity of 2 each whose only function is to ferry people around. This isn't any less complex mechanically than having a ship unit with the special rule 'transport' (not least because the caravel as a unit still exists, just without that rule), and it doesn't have any effect on strategy, but it is a lot smoother play-wise.

Yeah, ciV sort of does not support that, it'll be like Civ Rev, a single galley can carry dozens of tank armies.

Or, indeed, like all earlier versions of Civ (although 8 transported units was the limit in the older game, and that I think only on the Industrial-era transport ship).

Phil

I think Civ Rev was marketed more for kids than say semi-serious or even casual gamers and even comparing it or even mentioning next to the pc series is a waste of time.

Phil,

Whats all this 'not a strategy game' talk? Civ is a terrific strategy game, and always has been. Good military play in civ has always entailed long term planning of what units you need when. When to emphasize military and when not too. What size of standing army you can have and weather or not its diverse enough to handle anticipated situations. How effectively can you mobilize against a threat? What is your goal for the war before you start it and how many troops do you need ready to accomplish it. How many resources can you give to the military and keep your economy afloat? Those are the meaningful questions Civ delivers in different forms each game.

Ever since Civ 1 its been a grand strategy game.

What it isn't is a tactical game. Civ 1-4 (and 5, from the sounds of it) never offered any real tactical depth, and whatever the devs tried to give it failed in one way or another. Civ1 had Spear vs tank and stack death. Civ 2 softened that but still never really had many meaningful tactical decisions. Civ 3 introduced stacks of death, which made things all that much more strategic (can you prepare and produce) but made tactics a joke. CivIV tried to nerf that, but on the whole failed to stop Stacks of Death from being the way to wage war.

Then they pull out civ V and try to make it a tactical game. They put all their emphasis into what they're bad at. The Civ game concept is not good for tactics, its scope is just plain too large to be really good at tactics. And Civ V is an attempt at a tactical game of Civ...

There's a big part of the problem right there. They way they tried to make CiV a tactical game takes away from strategic depth, because game-breakingly good tactics makes good strategy less important.

I'm not saying you can't have a good strategy\tactics game, I'm just saying CiV sacrificed one to play up the other.

There's a big part of the problem right there. They way they tried to make CiV a tactical game takes away from strategic depth, because game-breakingly good tactics makes good strategy less important.

I'm not saying you can't have a good strategy\tactics game, I'm just saying CiV sacrificed one to play up the other.
Yeah, I remember people mentioning that V should actually have been released as Civ:Tactics, as to add tactics they did have to sacrifice a lot of other features.

I think Civ Rev was marketed more for kids than say semi-serious or even casual gamers and even comparing it or even mentioning next to the pc series is a waste of time.

But I owe it a lot, as it was the game that led me to cIV;).
And when I played it first, I was convinced that it was quite complex(because I used to play only FPS's before Civ). But I ditched it after I discovered cIV.

I hate civ rev.
Whoever has played Civ IV/V does:D.

Civ Tactics :) Thats a pretty neat catchphrase. I think I'd buy it if it was a leaner (less processor heavy, better AI, less miscilanious poorly implemented concepts, steamless) side game like CivIVCol.

ou mean like in Civ 4, where you beat high levels by abusing the AI incompetence in warfare generally and by abusing tech trading?

Tech trading was fundamentally different than the RA. You never got a tech that some of the AIs didn't know already. Basically tech trading only helped you to keep on level with the AI, it didn't catapult you to tech lead like the RA does. Furthermore higher levels were hard enough even with "tech trading abuse". Few players could regularly beat immortal+ no matter how hard they tried to abuse tech trading mechanism.

Top Bottom