Twillight of Byzantium

and that new project is.... ?
:D

LouLong said:
Philadelphia is a actually a Greek name. It means "who loves his brothers". Many "Americans" used names related to Rome and/or Greece because they considered them a model and classics were big back then.
Cincinati is actually coming from the Cincinatus, the Roman who defended Rome then went back to tend to his garden. There are many more examples. And some names are even French originately (Détroit, Saint Louis,....).

Oh woops, excuse my ignorance >_<.

In a future version, one thing that would definitely increase the longevity of this mod would be to make all the civs playable. Playing as the other Italian city-states, the mid-east/north african civs, and the Balkan empires would be great fun!

@Plotinus
Man, you've got to get a better connection! How did you ever upload RFRE?

Well, the connection is actually fast... if you are alone at the office. I supect many of my colleagues abuse of peer-to-peer softwares. Uploads are not a problem, downloads are a sad mess :(

@Yoda Power
All the cities were done by me and Aion
Oups - sorry. Nonetheless, amazing work guys!
I have succesfully downloaded the scen anyway, and will give Venezia a try very soon! Navy rules :)

Little Corporal said:
In a future version, one thing that would definitely increase the longevity of this mod would be to make all the civs playable. Playing as the other Italian city-states, the mid-east/north african civs, and the Balkan empires would be great fun!
It would require giving UU's to all these civs. Also the scenario is designed to be winable with the playable six civs, not the other ones, so they would have a pretty hard time.

(to everyone)
BTW- How about posting some screenshots:p

Yoda Power said:
(to everyone)
Can be bothered. It's so much work you know. Bit like doing the civilopedia and we've got so much other work to do you know :p. Just kidding matey, I'll do some screenies for you some time. :)

NAMINGS: I just wanted to let you know, in case you were wondering, that I did play a few more turns (totally ransacked Bulgaria with the Ottomans) and still had loads of fun. You asked about some of my earlier points. Well I haven't had time to sit down, make notes and post back but here are some things I noticed from what I mentioned earlier, that I confirmed from playing again and looking at the biq:

~ I am leading the Ottomans with.............Salvestro de' Medici. That's pretty :cool: but not intended me thinks. I can't see on the biq how this is happening. Is it my end only? It's the name automatically used for my save games too.

~ I am crushing "the Aydin" (name displayed under each city in Colour Blindness help settings), yet they are called "Western Beyliks" both in F4 Diplomacy and on the Power Graph in F8. This may be accurate naming, but it's a little inconsistent and had the effect of confusing me.

~ Same applies with Armenians who are also called the Cilicians in this.

For people not aware of the different groups active in the period, these differing names causes confusion and that reduces gaming pleasure. Perhaps suggest their other names in the 'pedia and keep things consistent in the biq? Main message - be consistent.

The only other complaint I have now is that the Locked Alliances are getting a bit annoying. I'm at war with absolutely everyone now. The Fatimids decided they'd take advantage of my moving in the Antiochus area, declared war and paid the whole world to go to war with me. I'm handling it quite well actually but there is not a single ally to call on and none of these guys want to talk to me.

That lack of diplomacy isn't to my liking - I feel like you've tied my hands together and denied me a big part of the game - but I appreciate it's fairly accurate historically speaking. Those Turkish tribes coming through pretty much slapped everyone about ----- but they also made peace treaties....

All in all, this is still great. Really good fun and well made. Those little gripes I pointed out do tend to distract from the good work though man!

Yes I know that, I've seen it myself. I'm putting forward that this should be done officially, some time, rather than asking players to do it themselves :)

Ok I have to change the civ names then.

About Locked Alliances: To get a realistic gameplay I really need to have these alliances. Did you research the "diplomacy" and "vassalage" techs? They enable a lot of diplomatic agreements.

Yeah I suspected you need those alliances somehow. I could well imagine being able to make peace on my eastern borders and then going and taking Europe :evil:. But that can't be realised right now.

Those diplomatic alliances are a long way off for me on the tech tree though. I look forward to being able to use them.

Yoda Power said:
It would require giving UU's to all these civs. Also the scenario is designed to be winable with the playable six civs, not the other ones, so they would have a pretty hard time.

(to everyone)
You could probably just give them a generic sort of UU, such as all the Balkans get x renamed after the country, and the turkish ones get y renamed after the country, and the italian ones get z renamed after the country. As for the other ones being hard to win as, that would be part of the fun! But several would actually probably be pretty easy, the Mamluks, Neapolitans, Romans, and Lombardians wouldn't be too difficult.

They are really not unique if they are generic;). I still feel that if I'm gonna do something them I'm gonna do it properly. Besides if you want to play one of the other civs, then it's easy to just make the change in the editor yourself:).

This is fun ad the knights of saint john. Good scenario

There was a small bug when building the inquisition. I think I fixed it, but I haven't had time to check it. Please see OP:)

I still have problems with your scenario, mostly the images. I downloaded the pediaicons.txt file, but then...

ERROR: Cannot find file: Pikeman2 pediaicon.

And when I click on Knights of St. John, it says:

ERROR: Cannot find St. John's Flic.

Also, when I try to look at images of the units, it just shows a different image, like for an Italian Infantry, it shows a Mech Infantry instead. I need major help on what to do to fix my problem.

You didn't install the files correctly then. You have to put the "Twillight of Byzantium" folder into your scenarios folder.

Thanks, Yoda, quite a good scenario. A bit too easy to win as Ottomans, though. Hard as h*ll to even come close to winning as Byzantium. I played the latter, but had to cheat by using a saved game editor and then only won on points by surviving to the last turn. A few minor glitches in PediaIcons file but easily fixed. Again, thanks.

jimmygeo

Great scenario! I created a variant called the Eternal Jihad Challenge, meaning you can't research Gunpowder or any techs that require it or its requisites. I captured all of the Turkish Byzantine cities as the Ottomans, including Constantinople. After, Thasos was mine. I then proceeded to conquer all of Turkey, Serbia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, and the rest of Byzantium before Domination with a score of . In the post-game, I took most of Italy, only leaving my forever allies on Italy, the Papal State.

Top Bottom