Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

Thanks, but it was not the disc. I started Win 8 in failsafe mode and the setup ran fine. It works now. Hope this helps.
I still had to copy msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll in "Sid Meier's Civilization 4" folder as for Win 7 64bits

^ Excellent

Did you install in a separate folder as advised in the OP, so you play the new mods found on here.

Yes, I installed in a separated folder. I have no mods now.

Now the bad news. The DVD installed 1.61 version. From the game, I choose to check for updates, It found 1.74, downloaded and installed it automatically. Fine.

Since that I turn off the computer. Now it does not find D3DX9_32.DLL. I installed "DX web update" to solve this problem, but now IT DOES NOT DETECT DVD-ROM any more :mad: What the hell with this! I wonder if this is 1.74 patch fault.

I am sure now that it is 1.74 patch fault. I completly uninstalled the game and installed again WITHOUT applying the patch and the game works fine. As soon as I installed it, I have the cd-rom not detected error.

The in-game updater is known to be buggy. Download the patch manually from the patch download page here in the forums and then run that to install it. This might solve your problem.

Kiwitt's trick works fine for WINDOWS 8 64bits too.
Including Mods like the famous Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn (ROM-AND 1.74D) whose infamous 32bit memory limit has (not yet) bothered me anymore to play on and on and ......

Do mind to do exactly what is in the OP recipe!

Thankyouverymuch!

Installing on Windows 7/Vista

Installation
Civilization 4

4: Insert the Civ 4 disk and then browse to the folder run the setup as mentioned in NOTE1 and NOTE2 and then select the custom folder as C:\GAMES\CIV4 and then follow the prompts

Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword

10: Insert the Civ 4 Beyond the Sword disk and then browse to the folder run the setup as mentioned in NOTE1 and follow the prompts

11: Right-click on Civ4BTS_Patch_v3.17 and "Run as Administrator" and then follow the prompts

12: Right-click on Civ4BeyondTheSwordPatch3.19 and "Run as Administrator" and then follow the prompts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried/failed KIWITT install method 4 times... no problems with the vanilla Civ4 install, but the following BTS never gives me the option for CUSTOM INSTALL... it just runs on its own; then the same with the follow-up 3.19 patch. The final end package then fails to load... giving the hated window "This program has known compatibility issues" for Civ4.

Retracing each step, I note its specified in the Civ4 instruction to place it in file C:\GAMES\CIV4, but in the BTS instruction you merely say "run the setup as mentioned in NOTE 1". The same is true for your patch instructions. I can assume the patch goes in the same exact file as BTS, since you later discuss that it then serves to kickstart loading of BTS. But my question is... when/if I do the BTS install... should it go in the same exact file C:\GAMES\CIV4... or should I create a C:\GAMES\BTS file for it? If so, which of those 2 files should the patch then go into? I could've looked this up in my old set-up files (when game was running just fine), but UNINSTALL erased them.

Sorry if this question betrays ignorance... I'm slowly leaving "noob" and beginning to explore "intermediate", so still capable of a laugher. Trying to nail down my problem. After playing Civ4/BTS for 2+ years on my old desktop, I got a new custom build with Win7 about 8 months ago, but had no problem loading/running Civ4/BTS game through dozens of campaigns of all types/sizes/levels. Then last week it just refused to load anymore. Tried reinstalls, defrags, diagnostics, compatibility mode, checking recent auto-updates, updated drivers... nothing shows a problem. Don't know what else to try... and jones-ing really bad for a CIV fix.

Attachments

• DxDiag2.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 93
Sorry, Kiwi neighbor, but I checked that too... no Win7 update prior to game load failure.
Pardon my repetition, but after a successful CIV4 install, does the following BTS install go in...

a. C:\GAMES\CIV4
b. C:\GAMES\CIV4\BTS
c. C:\GAMES\BTS

and then... which file would the 3.19 patch go into to finish it off?

C:\games\civ4
Thank you to IT pro "kiwitt" for his time/effort, but sadly I'm the exception case for his alternate load fix. I tried again with your latest info (my 5th total load attempt), but again... it simply didn't work for me. Don't know why, but again the BTS install wizard never gave me an option for a "custom" load... it simply ran auto. The Wizard also auto-ran a "latest game version" (it didn't specify what). Checking via WIN EXP afterwards, I found it DID load BTS into the desired C:\GAMES\CIV4 file... and I did copy in the 3.19 patch.

With fingers crossed, I tried to run the game... and got the same behavior I was getting before any of the re-install attempts. The game tried to run... background music was playing (with some distortion and choppy) and the little earth globe was spinning on a black background... for several seconds... then my screen threw the program into the menu bar at the bottom. Clicking the CIV icon to enlarge back to full-screen only produced black screen for a few seconds, then back into menu bar. I let it sit a few minutes, in case it was simply loading slowly... and got it to finally stay in black screen with music playing uninterrupted/ undistorted. But that was it; nothing more, no picture. I couldn't even close the game out without going to Task Manager and forcing it to close.

I'm at a loss... tried all I know to do. Since everything else on my computer still works with no problems elsewhere, I must assume it is either a problem with the game load... or else my video card/drivers (CIV4 is the only large game I run that might tax it). So my only recourse is to pay for pro diagnostics/fix, or else retire as a CIV player. As a veteran of CIV I, III, IV, BTS... I'm devastated, unless anyone has another idea? If not, goodbye CIV fans.

Show us your dxdiag results. We can check your specs.

Hmmm ... did you do the pre-install checklist as well. i.e. new install of dx9

:crazyeye:
Hmmm ... did you do the pre-install checklist as well. i.e. new install of dx9

Honestly, after 5 cycles of uninstall/reinstall... the last being 3 days ago... I just can't say about the Dx9 pre-wash. If nothing in my DxDiag stood out, then I'm really left with no other option but to go through the whole parade yet again; and I'll make sure every bean is counted. Any final or additional orders, kiwitt???

And as tired as you must be of this same shepherd ritual, I do so appreciate your time/efforts!!!

It is hard to diagnose from afar ;)

When you uninstall ... run ccleaner to clear out any remaining registry entries ... before you restart the process.

And you are correct once you install civ4 into c:\games\civ4 the rest of the expansions should find it automatically.

Top Bottom