The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time would be Egypt for the fact that it's still around as a state.

To give you a scale of its history, When Cleopatra VII was ruling Egypt, the events around the building of the Pyramids would have been to her, like the events of the early Roman Republic is to us.

The Egyptians of today aren't the ancient Egyptians.
The ancient Egyptians were killed by the Romans.

The Egyptians of today aren't the ancient Egyptians.
The ancient Egyptians were killed by the Romans.

No they weren't. They were conquered by the Romans, later the Arabians, then the Ottoman Turks, and lastly the British. But before that, they were conquered by Macedon, Persia, and Assyria. If they were killed then Egyptians would be fake Egyptians and real Egyptians would be extinct.

I've always seen a civ victory as being the equivalent of somehow causing governance to be impossible for all other great powers.

Domination - A country basically being strong enough to take and hold everyone's capital and actually doing it, self-explanatory. Not the US, obviously - they got as far as Baghdad, the capital of a half-rate Third World country and quit. France probably came the closest to this in the 1800s.

Cultural - I've always understood tourism to mean emigration, actually - a country that has such a powerful mystique that every other country can't keep their citizens from flocking there en masse. Those who can't get green visas spend all day thinking about how to get one, and it becomes impossible to govern them. The US is probably "Popular" with most countries and "Influential"/"dominant" over much of the third world - people would emigrate there given the chance. Britain, France, etc. are culture runaways and aren't likely to be caught anytime soon though.

Science - people would be scrambling to get on that ship. Politicians from other countries would quit their job and try to pull strings to get on. The rest of the world breaks down. Again, the US - but we've only just teched to rocketry and lack the :c5production: , and the will, to even build the Apollo Program.

Diplomacy - where the entire world wants all great powers acknowledge the dominance of one country by popular demand. Refusal is met by boycotts, embargoes etc, with the effect that all great powers have to go along with the leader. No country has achieved this, or come close - the closest would probably be the US, for one brief period in the 1990s when the Washington Consensus ruled.

$0.02

Time: Japan. I don't believe the island of Japan has been successfully invaded. (America sued for peace before the invasion of the homeland). Traditionally, modern Japan was founded in 660 BC.

Domination: The Axis alliance I think came the closest. Paris, Berlin, Warsaw, Copenhagen, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Athens, Thebes (maybe?), Marrakech, Amesterdam, Tokyo, Bejing, Seoul, Sukhothai, Jakarta.
They failed on their invasion of Moscow which is what prevented the path to domination victory

Does civ5 have a domination victory for enough land mass or just conquest for taking capitals?

Well going by domination, Rome, Greece under Alexander, the Persian empire and the British empire all came pretty close, but I don't think they quite got there. However I'm glad someone mentioned the Mongols. I feel like the west has had very little exposure to that era in history. I believe the Mongol empire ruled close to 70% of all people at one point. They wiped out so many cities that entire forests regrew over farmlands enough that it actually changed the carbon footprint of the earth. It's absolutly amazing what they accomplished. For those who don't know, Ghengis conquered into parts of China and as far West as Persia and the balkans but his grandsons kept going, all the way to Egypt and freakin' Poland. Poland! Mongols ruled from Korea to Poland at one point! That's a huge empire. Louis was actually preparing an army to go fight them back but Genghis' heir Oegedi died so the generals and his grandsons pushing west all went home to fight over who should rule. If Oegedi had lived they would've conquered all the rest of europe, they would have been no British empire, possibly no America, at least not as we know it today, and we'd all speak Mongolian or Chinese.

What they did in terms of connecting the East to the West was also groundbreaking. Under their rule trade exploded and though they were bloodthirsty killers, once under their rule everything was pretty stable and peaceful. A big reason was they had free religion, integrated a lot of ethnic groups and had harsh penalties for crimes. So the big reasons people fight each other (race and religion) were pretty much squashed under their policies. We probably would've had a Renaissance era in the 1200s-1300s except the empire broke apart due to internal politics and the black plague followed and the east became very isolationist once again and about a third of the world's population died.

Ok enough ranting about history, for culture I guess USA is the default choice for modern day. Ancient times is hard to say. Babylon, Egypt, Greece all had really influential cultures at one point. For science, no one's landed at alpha centarui but it would be a race between the US, Russia and possibly India and China now right?

For diplomatic, if they had a vote, at one time Greece probably could've won with all their city states, Roman empire probably could've won, same with British empire and Mongolia and probably Spain with all their colonies in the Americas.

Time: Japan. I don't believe the island of Japan has been successfully invaded. (America sued for peace before the invasion of the homeland). Traditionally, modern Japan was founded in 660 BC.

America sued for peace? What history book are you reading, cos it`s nonsense. Japan sued for peace UNCONDITIONALLY.

Japan`s homeground was not invaded because it didn`t need to be.

And please, please, please don`t ask why.

America sued for peace? What history book are you reading, cos it`s nonsense. Japan sued for peace UNCONDITIONALLY.

I have interpreted the phrase "sued for peace" meaning the victor gave the conditions (sued) and the vanquished had no choice but to accept. Thinking of the verb in the legal sense. However, in the formal sense, you are more correct. :)

Yeah but a time victory would favor whoever has the most people since that's the biggest score. Then techs/wonders. So china probably wins. Maybe india. Dunno how many wonders they have but their tech is close enough to US and Japans they'd win.

but I don't think they quite got there. However I'm glad someone mentioned the Mongols. I feel like the west has had very little exposure to that era in history. I believe the Mongol empire ruled close to 70% of all people at one point. .

It was less, about 26% i think

For area and total pop it was the brits, for percentage of pop it was the persians.

My 2 cents: first and foremost its all a joke of course, but i'd say that culturally, from a western world point of view, Greece won, since it founded the basis of our deepest culture (along later with Roman influence, but Greek one paved the way).

Domination...others already told everything, Alex, Julius and Gengis grabbed quite a lot of land, UK and US can only have wet dreams of reaching those "heights" (lets pray US never will :p).

Space...well, Soviet Union with Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova (spelling?) in my book won the closest thing to a space victory, with the US close by.

Time...its a match between US and China by now, who knows who will win, maybe India :p

The Mongols invaded Japan for a reason

And this is supposed to mean, what?

I don`t see how it helps in the context of what I was saying to the other poster.

I think the US won Culture Victory since there's a lot of people outside the US wearing their blue jeans, eating their food and listening to their music.

Domination: No one has won, but closest has been England/Great Britain controlling Sydney, London, Toronto, Nassau, Delhi, just to name a few.

Science: No one has won, but only America has built the Apollo program, so they are technically closest.

Diplomacy: I don't see a world leader, no winner here.

Culture: This is a tough one, If by just culture (Pop Music and Blue Jeans), America would win by default. There's a McDonalds in every American country, Every European country, and most Asian countries. Modern jeans were invented in America, the lightbulb is American, the PC is American, Apple is American, Amazon is American, roughly half of all commercial planes are American, almost all technology you can get w

Now, if you go by Tourism, definitely a point for France or Italy there. There were lines AROUND the duomo in Florence when I went.

I think the US won Culture Victory since there's a lot of people outside the US wearing their blue jeans, eating their food and listening to their music.

hmm id say the adoption of spanish to the second largest use language in the world is more impressive

Or the way the british empire shaped the middle east, india, the language those pesky americans use, the law systems of many many countries, the driving force for industrialisation etc

Or the massive cultural effect of the roman empire, which due to its way of absorbing conquered enemies led to nations absorbing its ways, ideologies and culture

For cultural influence id say america isnt there sorry. Its like a civ 4 colony thats outgrown its parents (please read this tongue in cheek!) ;)

Domination: No one has won, but closest has been England/Great Britain controlling Sydney, London, Toronto, Nassau, Delhi, just to name a few.

Germany? They've controlled Amsterdam, Athens, Belgrade, Brussels, Budapest, Copenhagen, Paris, Prague, Rome, Vienna, part of Warsaw and a few more CiV capitals.

Culture: [...] the lightbulb is American,

Nope. Humphrey Davy, and Englishman.

Now, if you go by Tourism, definitely a point for France or Italy there. There were lines AROUND the duomo in Florence when I went.

Nope. Not Italy. Italy only has about 48 million tourist per year whilst France has 83 million, US has 68 million, and China and Spain has 58 million.

The 'war on terror' is more akin to us stomping all the cockroaches in sight to death, only to have more crawl out of no where. The US is unwilling to fumigate, so we're just stomping cockroaches.

As to the various facts I'm wrong on: I'm human. I actually didn't know China had nukes, are they any good, or still much less advanced than the US nukes?

The cockroach analogy is highly offensive IMO. Keep drinking the koolaid.

The cockroach analogy is highly offensive IMO. Keep drinking the koolaid.

Also what does he mean by `fumigate`? What other option is he insinuating??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom