Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Wow I can't believe I only discovered SVN last week! :wallbash:

Are the dynamic civ names still being worked on? as they don't work on my game.

Thanks for the advice before guys, :goodjob:

I've heard that several times, but dynamic civ names always worked for me ...

Was playing as the Arabs and going for the UHV. The "Control Spain" UHV was checked off as soon as I took over Seville despite Spain having 3 other cities and Portugal having 2. Obviously something isn't working exactly right, though it does make me wonder what "control" is actually supposed to mean.

Good that you post this. I didn't have an opportunity to test the new "control or vassalize" implementation yet. Am I right to assume that Spain wasn't your vassal?

Good that you post this. I didn't have an opportunity to test the new "control or vassalize" implementation yet. Am I right to assume that Spain wasn't your vassal?

You are right to assume that, yes. It also checked off "control Maghreb" as soon as I captured Tripoli but I assumed at the time that this was because that was the only city in Maghreb.

While I'm on the subject of Arabia, I think the city name map could use a little expanding, as I founded Kufah in the Sudan (the irrigated Desert square with access to the cotton, ivory, gold, and incense, if you're wondering).

Okay. I took a look at the code and everything seemed right, so I guess I have to visit that more thoroughly.

Next revision is up, with its main feature being the redesigned South Asian conquerors already shown in the image thread. Here's how it works:

The event triggers for the player when he builds the trading company, for the AI when it discovers Economics. It still applies to the usual civs of Spain, France, England, Portugal and Netherlands. There are three choices:

1) "Fund contracted harbors": you offer 200 gold per city to the civs that own them, if they accept they flip to you, else you get an army conquer these cities. The chance of the AI accepting depends on their behavior for congresses and if you're already at war with them. The player can make his own decision, similar to accepting or refusing city flips at spawn (I wasn't able to test that yet, though). Sometimes it can happen that there's no city available in your target area, then you get a settler instead.

2) "Draft an army": All cities lose 2 population and get 2 temporary unhappiness, you declare war on the owners and get an army for every target city (they don't spawn on top of the cities anymore).

3) Do nothing.

AI Spain and Portugal always choose (1), France, England and Netherlands always (2).

The target areas are:
- Spain: Manila (it's usually empty so they get a settler there)
- France: southern India
- England: east and west coast of India
- Portugal: Muscat, Goa, Cochin, Malacca and Canton
- Netherlands: Sumatra, Java and Borneo

I also changed India to make space for Calcutta and fixed the "control or vassalize" check.

Just tried it out with Portugal, nothing happened. My options were to do nothing, or offer zero gold... As one could guess, no cities flipped, and no armies spawned.

Save would be awesome.

I had a similar problem playing as India. There didn't appear to be any colonising attempts going on against me. No armies attacking, no settlers, no selling cities, no nothing.

Yeah, I found out what was going on. Something intended as a minor fix actually caused the Event module to break early in the game, which disabled the whole thing :mischief: My recent commit should fix that.

Leoreth,

While I do like the new Asia conquerors events, one thing that is displeasing is the achronological order of events. All of the conquests take place with the advent of economics, this would be fine if there was lets say 50 years difference between Portugal and England establishing their colonies. But this was not the case; So what i suggest is making conquerors events of different countries associated with different techs. So heres how the chronology would look like:

-Portugal: Any technology around the 1450-1550 time period; Optics comes to mind as the Portuguese established colonies in Asia as early as the 1500s.

-Dutch and the Spanish: Any technology between 1550-1650; Spain established colonies in 1570s and the Dutch in 1600s

-France and England: Early Industrial Age technologies; 1690-1790s technology.

* Since the difference in time period would lead to advantages (units, culture etc), I recommend that you make the later conqueror events better/stronger with larger armies.

* Since the difference in time period would lead to advantages (units, culture etc), I recommend that you make the later conqueror events better/stronger with larger armies.
And that's why I haven't done that yet. In general I think Trading Company is good for the HI, it could be changed to Astronomy for AI Spain and Portugal, and Banking for AI Netherlands (or does it start with that? Not sure currently). I'll revisit that once again before release.

as in Human?
it could be changed to Astronomy for AI Spain and Portugal, and Banking for AI Netherlands. I'll revisit that once again before release.
Both sound good, any idea what it would be for England and France?

Also currently what are the spawn locations (and chances and probabilities involoved) for France and England?

France and England would remain at economics (is usually discovered in an appropriate time).

For the affected tiles: France's area covers Southern India, England's its whole coast. Then from that area three (England) or one (France) city is chosen randomly with equal probability.

I updated to the most recent SVN today and upon trying to start a new game got the following error:

TAG: EVENT_TRADING_COMPANY_CONQUERORS_3 in Info class was incorrect
Current XML File is: xml\Events/CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml

If I clicked past this error there was another identical one for each event. Gave up before I got through them all, as there seems to be a lot of them :)

And that's why I haven't done that yet. In general I think Trading Company is good for the HI, it could be changed to Astronomy for AI Spain and Portugal, and Banking for AI Netherlands (or does it start with that? Not sure currently). I'll revisit that once again before release.

The thing is, for a human playing as Portugal or Spain, the early colonial empires, economics doesn't come till the 1650s or so. Astronomy makes sense for Spain's events, as does economics for France, England, and the Dutch. But the Portuguese had a head start on all of them, they started their colonies as early as the 1460s in Africa. Perhaps a tech like gunpowder ought to unlock it, to give them time to discover far off lands like India and China, and then get the event.

I updated to the most recent SVN today and upon trying to start a new game got the following error:

TAG: EVENT_TRADING_COMPANY_CONQUERORS_3 in Info class was incorrect
Current XML File is: xml\Events/CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml

If I clicked past this error there was another identical one for each event. Gave up before I got through them all, as there seems to be a lot of them :)
Oh, yeah, I encountered that as well and hoped no one else would :lol: Does another update fix that for you?

In my viking game, France had Kiev and it was their capital. Paris didn't get captured or anything, they just built a palace there lol

Top Bottom