Final Fixes Reborn

I'm not sure if I should ask about this here, but I just tried to install this and it's not working.

When I start RifE (whether from the launcher or by loading the mod from BTS), the menu screen is nothing but an oversized picture of an erupting volcano or meteor storm or something, and in the bottom of the screen I can see the top of some text that I suspect says "Fall Further".
There is no menu frame, and I can't see any menu buttons, but I can see the cursor and if I press where the menu should be, I hear clicking sounds as if I'm clicking on menu items. I can't see anything happening, though.

I tried running in both Fullscreen and Windowed, and tried changing resolution. I installed by downloading v13.6 and then patching it with v13.7, as according to OP.

After trying to find someone else with the same problem here on the forums for a short while, I noticed people are saying this mod is more graphically intensive than CIV4 and most other CIV4 mods - The only other mod I've played is Fall from Heaven 2 (which works absolutely fine), and I'm on a 2.2 GHz single-core laptop with integrated Intel graphics... Is that what's causing this problem?

Just checking I understood what you see: you have this screen, without the text of the menu, but with the central brown rectangular panel? And you have "Rise from Erebus" written on the top right? (where I've Ashes of Erebus written)
Fall further screen+menu.JPG
Am I right?

It could be caused by hardware, but I think bugs would appear
- when loading the mod
- or when playing a game with many civilizations and a big map, not on showing a menu.

Or it could come from an incorrect ini file (9 times out of 10, my civ4 bugs, with or without mods, came from these. Now I keep a copy of them in a backup folder)

To help you more, I'd need more info
Q1) Did you play the old version of Rise from Erebus (1.4 or 1.41, that is, before my updates)? Or are you a newcomer to this mod?
Q2) Do you have Civ4BTS on version 3.19? DVD or steam edition?
Q3) What language are you playing with?
Q4) Please copy here the path that leads to the mod on your PC (for example C:\Jeux\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus)
Q5) more hardware info: RAM quantity, Operating System
No more ideas right now.

Good luck

PS: You can come on the Erebus IRC channel and ask us(warrensofthought.com, channel erebus)
Several present and former RifE coders/players lurk there regularly :D

I'm having issues unzipping the 770mb file - winrar crashes half way through after spending 10-15 minutes humming to itself, and 7zip comes up with compression errors.

Any ideas? I've tried redownloading and come up with the same issues on both files.

The file was still intact some weeks ago, when one of my IRL friends DLed it

--> I'll re-download the file now, to check if it has become corrupt since, and tell you the result.
EDIT : download complete --> right click, "7-zip", "extract to" --> extracts without problem

The version of 7zip I use is the last one: 9.20 (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Yeah, I tried downloading it and unzipping it on another computer and it worked fine, so it looks like it's the computer having issues not the zip file. Thanks for checking, sorry for bothering you.

Just checking I understood what you see: you have this screen, without the text of the menu, but with the central brown rectangular panel? And you have "Rise from Erebus" written on the top right? (where I've Ashes of Erebus written)
View attachment 359070
Am I right?

It could be caused by hardware, but I think bugs would appear
- when loading the mod
- or when playing a game with many civilizations and a big map, not on showing a menu.

Or it could come from an incorrect ini file (9 times out of 10, my civ4 bugs, with or without mods, came from these. Now I keep a copy of them in a backup folder)

To help you more, I'd need more info
Q1) Did you play the old version of Rise from Erebus (1.4 or 1.41, that is, before my updates)? Or are you a newcomer to this mod?
Q2) Do you have Civ4BTS on version 3.19? DVD or steam edition?
Q3) What language are you playing with?
Q4) Please copy here the path that leads to the mod on your PC (for example C:\Jeux\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus)
Q5) more hardware info: RAM quantity, Operating System
No more ideas right now.

Good luck

PS: You can come on the Erebus IRC channel and ask us(warrensofthought.com, channel erebus)
Several present and former RifE coders/players lurk there regularly :D

Thanks for answering :)
Yes, I have that exact screen, but no brown panel in the middle or bottom, and no text in the top right. Only the actual background.
There are no bugs as far as I can tell when starting the mod, and I have no problem playing with 16 civilizations (including myself) on a "Huge" map until around the space-race of normal BtS, and I have a similar experience with FfH2. I don't know how well I can play this mod yet. Besides, the only problems I have are with lag and each turn taking very long time to finish.

The .ini files in the Rise from Erebus folder are untouched, I tried renaming my user folder for BtS (the one under "My Games") to regenerate them with default settings, but it seems to still have my old settings... So I'm not 100% sure about that, but my settings haven't caused any trouble with FfH 2 or BtS. I've only ever used the in-game options to change settings.

Spoiler :
A1) I'm a total newcomer to this mod, the instructions in OP are the only ones I've followed.
A2) BtS is on version 3.19, non-steam version.
A3) The game's language is in English, but my OS language is Swedish.
A4) C:\Program\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus
A5) Here is some shortened info from dxdiag:
CPU: Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.2 GHz (it's crappy, I know...)
RAM: 1978 MB
Swap-memory: 2881 MB
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, shared memory (that is, they're basicly graphics drivers for my CPU)

I'll get on the IRC channel and see if anyone can help me. If so, I'll reply again on this thread, or edit this reply. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: After some chatting on IRC, PMing with Ronkhar and trying various patches, Ronkhar discovered what was causing my issue; For some reason, my game was acting strangely when certain Art Assets were stored in a Pak archive. He gave me these instructions to solve it:

Spoiler :
1) Create a new (temporary) folder. Name or location doesn't matter.
2) Move the file "...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus\Assets\All_Art_test_compiled_by_Ronkhar.FPK" to the new folder.
3) Download the program in this thread, and move "PakBuild.exe" to the new folder.
4) Run "PakBuild.exe", and in the menu bar at the top of the window, choose "PAK" -> "Unpack...". Choose the file "All_Art_test_compiled_by_Ronkhar.FPK".
5) The program will ask where you want the files to be extracted; Choose the new folder (the one with "PakBuild.exe" and "All_Art_test_compiled_by_Ronkhar.FPK" in it).
6) The program will be loading for some time. When it's done, there's an "art" folder inside your new folder. Merge it with the "art" folder in "...\Rise from Erebus\Assets\", BUT DON'T REPLACE ANY EXISTING FILES! The files that already exist in that folder are newer than the ones from the Pak-file.

Make sure all the files from the Pak-file that didn't already exist were moved to RifE's "Assets\Art" folder, and everything will work normally. However, it might take longer for the game to start (it did for me), but I consider that a small price to pay to be able to play this :)

Bug

The Mekara fixes re: workers can be made into slaves need to not allow Familiars. I can't think of how to do this because I am very tired, promotions can't exclude spells, right? Just spell promotions. The spell is Enslave Worker, I think. It can't exclude a specific unit, can it?

I will have a look at it, Viatos - As soon as I can. That definately shouldn't be allowed.

Edit: I can't seem to find the spell in the files. Are you sure it's from RifE and another addon?

I will have a look at it, Viatos - As soon as I can. That definately shouldn't be allowed.

Edit: I can't seem to find the spell in the files. Are you sure it's from RifE and another addon?

It's from the Mekara remake included by default with Final Fixes, unfortunately - it's pretty simple, units that are workers in a Mekaran city are given a spell that triggers Sluga Creation 2. The problem with this is that Familiars are workers, so they desperately need to be excluded from this process. I am sure there's some easy way to exclude a particular unit from the XML, I just can't think of how to do it.

It's from the Mekara remake included by default with Final Fixes, unfortunately

Well, I can't do anything there then - I had (and want) no part in that modmod. You'll have to ask MaxAstro about that one.

But it should be a relatively simple fix to exclude a specific unit class. As simple as adding a prereq script like this.
Code:
if pUnit.getUnitClassType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_FAMILIAR'):
[tab]return false
return true

Of course, you may well not want to have it in the first place, since there's more wierd worker classes than the Familiar around.

Using the 13.7 final fix patch I'm having a repeating CTD with the attached saved game. Not sure if its a memory issue or a bug.

Standard map, 8 players, turn 278. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Ace Turn_0278.CivBeyondSwordSave
    665.1 KB · Views: 131
Should the Kuriotates scout be able to upgrade to a centaur? Seems kind of weird given the different races. I thought that way back in the day the Kurios had a lot of limitations on inter-unit upgrades.

Using the 13.7 final fix patch I'm having a repeating CTD with the attached saved game. Not sure if its a memory issue or a bug.

Standard map, 8 players, turn 278. Any ideas?

Hi,
I just downloaded your save and played it, and I effectively got a CtD.
EDIT: found the cause of the problem : it's the maelstrom with your caravel. See last test below

Spoiler :

1st try: Each time a unit became active, I ordered fortify or explore. (bambur --> boats --> horse archers --> workers --> CtD)

2nd try: (same actions) fortify bambur, boats, horse archers, workers --> CtD
This time, I had time to see the last selected unit: Healer 6 (healer) <-- he is 2 tiles west of Conrond Mor city

3rd try: select and fortify the healer, select bambur, and fortify units again (the order stays the same: boats, horses, workers --> CtD)

Conclusion: bug doesn't come from the healer

Looking for error logs among the 13 log files (possibly unrelated):

Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\audio.log
Code:
[1987.842] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS3D_HAWK_RADIO_ORDER of TagId 4
[1987.842] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS3D_HAWK_RADIO_SELECT of TagId 4
[1987.842] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS3D_THOPTER_ORDER of TagId 4
[1987.842] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS3D_THOPTER_SELECT of TagId 4
[1987.873] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS3D_ABADDON_SELECT of TagId 4
[1988.575] ERR: FAudioManager::GetAudioTagIndex(): Could not find string AS2D_AMEN of TagId 3

Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\resmgr.log
Code:
RESMGR: Texture Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/BigPinkBox.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Berzerker.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture >Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Golem.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture warrior_128.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture knight_templar_body_128.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture spikes_gloss.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture walruspacific_adult_m.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture FlagDECAL.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor01.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor02.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture FlagDECAL.dds failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor01.tga failed to load
RESMGR: Texture PlayerColor02.tga failed to load

Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\LSystem.log
Lots of errors with shadows:
Code:
generic: XXX does not contain a node called SHADOW. Its shadow, if present, will be corrupt!
Warning: Node XXX has no generic art matching constraint 90.000000
Object XXX inside file Art/XXX/XXX.nif is not a node but was expected to be!

Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\xml.log
Lots of "info type" or "info type NONE" not found:
Code:
info type NONE not found, Current XML file is: xml\XXX/XXX.xml
info type  not found, Current XML file is: xml\XXX/XXX.xml

Unfortunately, I've no real experience in reading these log files, so I'm trying a few experiences (quite randomly, I confess)

4th try: ending the turn without doing anything --> CtD

5th try: deleting your cities (except the capital) with the world builder, and changing the research for another which doesn't end this turn --> CtD

6th try: deleting everyone's cities (except the capitals) + the barbarian cities (world builder again), then fortifying all active units, then next turn --> no CtD \o/ (and repeatable)
6th try, bis: deleting everyone's cities (except the capitals) + the barbarian cities (world builder again), then next turn --> no CtD \o/ (and repeatable)

Overkill? Sure. But at least, I'm sloooowly narrowing. :p

7th try: delete illian, elohim and Grigori (I think since they have Midgar) cities --> CtD
8th try: delete the 3 other civs cities --> CtD
9th try: delete the barbarian cities --> CtD
10th try: killing other civs (no touching you or elohim), then fortifying active units --> CtD after the workers
Mhm, curious (and frustrating)

346842316874656th try: Aaaaargh! I just moved your caravel away from the maelstrom (instead of the move through that you had programmed) and the CtD doesn't happen again.
@acestealth: Please do the same on your computer and tell me the result.

jrandrew said:
Should the Kuriotates scout be able to upgrade to a centaur? Seems kind of weird given the different races. I thought that way back in the day the Kurios had a lot of limitations on inter-unit upgrades.
Mhm. I didn't know that. I always thought the Kuriotates upgrades were limited by race. Perhaps it was a change from RifE 1.4. Will check.

Wow Ronkhar. Many thanks for the help and how quickly you jumped on it. That appears to be it, played past that turn and a a dozen more so far with no CTD so long as I alter that ships course. Figures the one unit I had on auto explore would set its course through the maelstrom.

I don't entirely remember what is supposed to happen if you go through the maelstrom with a ship or if its even supposed to be possible. Maybe a broken event that doesn't fire anymore? As for the log file errors your guess is likely better than mine. I reinstalled this version of Rife (Ashes of Erebus now right? :D) from the previous final fixes thread (fresh no copy/paste/overwrite) and patched it as you came out with them. Besides this last maelstrom issue, I never really had any problems, CTD or otherwise, since you and snarko put together the first patches for the "final" 1.4 version of Rife.

Although I can also say I don't usually play a game this many turns. I usually get bored when I get too far ahead of the pc's, but this game was a bit of a balancing act to see how long I could go before an AI declared war. Took em 270+ turns with aggressive AI set and either monarch or emperor difficulty (much higher difficulty and it seems the savages kill too many empires early, mine sometimes included). War finally broke out when the Illian converted from Kilmorph (which everyone was at present on our continent) to the White hand, and that relations modifier was the last straw I suppose. They broke their defensive pact with me and invaded. lol

I was looking further into this in CIV4UnitInfos.xml. I can't seem to find a way to prevent this upgrade without making a whole separate custom scout entry for the Kuriotates. In one of the previous FFH2 variants, I can't remember which one, I believe there was something called modular XML loading. This allowed one to just make a copy of an existing XML entry but only put the things which one wanted to change.

E.g. the scout configuration right now for the generic scout unit is:

Code:
<UnitClassUpgrades>
				<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_HUNTER</UnitClassUpgradeType>
				<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_HORSEMAN</UnitClassUpgradeType>
			</UnitClassUpgrades>

For Kuriotates I think it should be specifically:

Code:
<UnitClassUpgrades>
<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_HUNTER</UnitClassUpgradeType>
			</UnitClassUpgrades>

But it is pretty inelegant to have to make an entire copy of the scout entry just for this (and would break a cool savegame I have going anyway.)

Any suggestions?

What you thought of is exactly what I wrote this morning in the bug spreadsheet:

kuriotates: scout (race musteval) can upgrade to centaur
Idea: change kurio scout to its own model inside unitclass_scout, and allow it to upgrade to hunter only (instead of hunter and horseman classes)

If there is a better way, I don't see it yet.

There is no balseraph slave cage available for the mustevfar (can't remember the exact spelling for this.) so if you are playing as the kuriotates and take a mustevfar slave from the kurios (eg one of their recon units like a scout or hunter) you can't build a slave cage.

Some of their other units, like warriors, are normal humans so if you take them as slaves you can build the normal human slave cages.

Also -- as the Balseraph, you can use Loki (as well as the puppets he spawns) to explore ruins, which seems a bit abusive. Normally when exploring ruins you have to worry about enemies spawning, but that doesn't matter as Loki can run away from everything. You also have to worry about combat-negative effects like enervation, but as Loki always runs away they don't matter either.

I would suggest blocking Loki and puppets from exploring lairs.

The Age of Ice challenge doesn't seem to be working with this mod. Is this a known issue?

Top Bottom