"Empire of the Smoky Skies" Scenario

My guess was that the scenario would limit itself to Europe, so England, France, Spain, Netherlands, Prussia, Russia, Austria, and Ottomans. Maybe Denmark or other parts of Scandinavia.

My guess was that the scenario would limit itself to Europe, so England, France, Spain, Netherlands, Prussia, Russia, Austria, and Ottomans. Maybe Denmark or other parts of Scandinavia.

Well Empire and Victorian Era sound more like a world wide one.

Perhaps. I had map size concerns, which limited my thoughts about its reach. If it's global, it should be limited to essentially imperialist powers of the era, so Spain would not be included. European powers would essentially have one or two cities in Europe and the rest in Africa, Asia, etc.

Perhaps. I had map size concerns, which limited my thoughts about its reach. If it's global, it should be limited to essentially imperialist powers of the era, so Spain would not be included. European powers would essentially have one or two cities in Europe and the rest in Africa, Asia, etc.

Yeah, Spain might be better as a CS too.

Although I do go back and forth with Spain. They still had colonies, but they were bleeding them. I'm not sure if the map would even necessarily have Cuba and the Philippines. No matter what, this will be tricky.

It's a fictional scenario. The civs, the map, the units, and the techs could all be fictional.

yup, that's my take as well.

It won't be based upon 'real' events/civs, as Steampunk never actually happened. So it'll be 'steampunk' like techs and units. Civs may get a skin, and the map is likely to be completely random.

I would hope not, having a earth map scenario would be a much better connection.

I am especially excited about the steampunk scenario "Empires of the Smoky Skies" with its alternate tech tree and whatnot. Are there any other people out there who think this is going to be something special?

Also: I would really like it if they make it possible to play a "normal" game on a random map using the modified tech tree.

I'm excited as well.

This might be the first Civ-Scenario I am going to play.

It sounds very interesting... Any chance to see the Steampunk version of the leaders? :lol:

Actually, I'd be pleased if they release more scenarios, and not only based on historical events. What about futuristic warfare or ''defend yourself against huge hordes of barbarians''?

It sounds very interesting... Any chance to see the Steampunk version of the leaders? :lol:

Actually, I'd be pleased if they release more scenarios, and not only based on historical events. What about futuristic warfare or ''defend yourself against huge hordes of barbarians''?

+1 to the futuristic (or modern) scenarios. It's getting old seeing ancient warfare and it would be about time the modern era got some love in scenarios department. (In this particular instance, I consider everything from the late renaissance onwards to be modern.) American civil war scenarios, revolutionary war, war of 1812 (both Napoleon and the british invasion of America), WWI (could probably be done with the new units), cold war espionage and the berlin wall, ottoman revolution, there are so many unexplored scenarios that could be done. And then the fictional ones (like this one, the Empire of the Smoky Skies.)

Not me personally, i have yet to like a DLC scenario for some reason. I didn't like any of the Civ4 bts scenarios either.

Same here, which is funny because that was all played for years with Civ2. Civ4 and Civ5 main games were/so so good, never had much interest to go with scenarios. The exceptions were Road to War and Age of Discovery 2. The Warlords/BtS and now, the DLC, scenarios just seem different than the type of scenarios we used to play with Civ2. I think event scripting may have something to do with that.

Not me personally, i have yet to like a DLC scenario for some reason. I didn't like any of the Civ4 bts scenarios either.

The only two scenarios that were fun to play were the Polynesia and New World one, the others were not onyl annoying, but offten frustrating even on Settler :/

I generally like Polynesia, New World and WOTAW. Korea, Mongols and Denmark were all conquest scenarios, which I don't like.

EDIT: As per the OP, I am immensly excited for the scenario, in all it's Steampunkiness glory. "Flying Airships and Tractor Tanks" who couldn't be excited. Aviator goggles, away!

Same here, which is funny because that was all played for years with Civ2. Civ4 and Civ5 main games were/so so good, never had much interest to go with scenarios. The exceptions were Road to War and Age of Discovery 2. The Warlords/BtS and now, the DLC, scenarios just seem different than the type of scenarios we used to play with Civ2. I think event scripting may have something to do with that.

Ditto. Back in the early 2000's I regularly switched between civ2 and civ3. I played Civ2 for the scenarios and Civ3 for the main game. I love the main game for civ IV and civ V but have never played their scenarios...though I have played full mods. Civ2 scenarios were quite unique from one another, which is amazing considering the modding limitations of the game. I still love the qualities of Kobayashi's TRON (The Rape of Nations) scenario. Nothing has come close (in the civ series), in my eyes, to representing the age of discovery as this scenario.

I am excited to see a steampunk anything in the civ series though I would be more excited if it were like a full mod in which a normal game can be played using the new techs, units, etc. Regardless, I will play scenario and can't wait to check it out.

Top Bottom