Modders Guide to Civilization V

ODA_NOBUNAGA should be the default Japanese leader. I am pretty sure that is how it is listed in the normal civ file, but I can double check.

I'll try and recreate your mod when I get home from work tonight (about 6-7 hours) and see if I can get it to work.

pduthie au,

Thank you for the offer, but I think I may have gotten something to work...
I copied and pasted the entire text from working mods... then made "fresh" mods with new MOD IDs and solutions. Those worked... then I made some text edits (replacing what I wanted)... I remade solutions... that didn't seem to work (didn't show up in ciV).

So, then I changed the name of the mod, gave it a new MOD ID.. and then the mod appeared. The changes I made are also present.

So, I don't know if it is how I was creating the solutions or the text or what... but it seems like I am making progress

Awesome, I'll start this weekend on a Civ5 version of my Civ4 mod that never made it to the public :p This pdf will be an awesome guide.

I have a question on the LuaEvents example from the guide, that it would be great to get an answer for (from Kael, or anyone else)...

The example seems to imply that you create a new globally-accessible function (effectively) with LuaEvents.whatever.add(function blah blah)... but it doesn't say this outright. Is that the correct interpretation? Just before I start wasting time trying to implement a design based on it...

Very Nice writeup Kael! The SQL plug-in for foxfire is handy didn't know that existed.

But this is one thing that seems wrong. I didn't read this whole thread so maybe someone else found this.

The db CIV5CoreDatabase.db didn't changed when I added mods. You could tell the time-stamp on it didn't change so CIV5 didn't write to it.

The was a another DB called CIV5DebugDatabase.db that changed. (something like that I'm at work) You could see the time-stamp on that one updating every time you ran with a mod and started a game.

This was a bit confusing till I saw what was going on. I think you should verify that and fix your writeup it took me a while to figure that out I keep thinking my mod wasn't working. Maybe something in my setup caused this as I had some trouble getting civ5 to run?

Spoiler :
[65558.296] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_UNITEDSTATES" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_ARABIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_AZTECS" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_CHINA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_EGYPT" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_ENGLAND" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_FRANCE" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_GERMANY" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_GREECE" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_INDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_IROQUOIS" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_JAPAN" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_OTTOMAN" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_PERSIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_ROME" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_RUSSIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_SIAM" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.CivilopediaTag - "TXT_KEY_CIV5_SONGHAI" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_AMERICA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_ARABIA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_AZTEC_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_CHINA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_EGYPT_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_ENGLAND_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_FRANCE_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_GERMANY_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_GREECE_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_INDIA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_IROQUOIS_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_JAPAN_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_OTTOMAN_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_PERSIA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_ROME_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_RUSSIA_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_SIAM_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_SONGHAI_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_MINOR_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.312] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Civilopedia - "TXT_KEY_CIV_BARBARIAN_PEDIA" does not exist in Language_en_US
[65558.328] Invalid Reference on Feature_YieldChanges.FeatureType - "FEATURE_RIVER" does not exist in Features
[65558.328] Invalid Reference on Feature_YieldChanges.FeatureType - "FEATURE_LAKE" does not exist in Features
[65558.328] Invalid Reference on Feature_YieldChanges.FeatureType - "FEATURE_LAKE" does not exist in Features
[65558.343] Failed Validation.
[65558.718]

I got these errors whn trying to add a new Honest Abe civ to the game. Help is appreacated it does not show in the civ select screen.

I got these errors whn trying to add a new Honest Abe civ to the game. Help is appreacated it does not show in the civ select screen.
Those are the standard errors that are always produced; it seems that errors from our own mods don't actually appear.

First of all, thank you all for your guidance, especially Kael for his guide (and I also loved Fall from Heaven...)

I'm still making baby steps here, but what I really want to know is:

Could somebody please give a step-by-step guidance on how to test the mods? Like, I made one or two changes, according to the guide or some other instruction and save all the changes. Then what? What program do I use do test it? The ModBuddy? Is there a specific file or folder I need to place in the game folder? Where? How? Argh!

I'll really appreciate a step-by-step explanation, even tough I know it can be boring to do, but I know that there's more people out there that are facing the same problem!

Thanks again!

The guide is great, and makes using modbuddy very user freindly, but it missing a few things for true first time modders. I am trying to create a new civ, Austria-Hungary, and I am stuck on two simple things.
First- I have a ddp. image for my leader, and eventually will have an icon. I have the script to use them in xml. What do I do with the image now so that mod buddy can use it, do i put it in an art folder or something? Im lost on this.
Second- When I am done building the project, how do I use it.

What do I do with the image now so that mod buddy can use it, do i put it in an art folder or something? Im lost on this.

Read carefully : (Page34) "Once that is done we can add the files to our mod by creating an Art folder (though this isn't nessesary, I create it to help organize the project) and dragging and dropping our files into it."

For you last question : when you build project,it create the folder in the right place (My games/Sid meier's CivilizationV/Mods)
Then you can activate it in game

Quick question, do the update commands for XML work with the XML for UI elements?

Quick question, do the update commands for XML work with the XML for UI elements?
No. They only work for database stuff. The XML in these cases is just a thin front-end to SQL, and all of the Rows become INSERT, and so on.

The UI stuff has to be replaced. Sorry, what was that about mods being modular? ;)

Jaythekiller, you have answered my question as well, since now I now where the mods are placed and where to address the path to when you first run ModBuddy...Tanks!

1) I tried, as a test, the same change CrazyAce used in page 3 (setting the warrior's movement to 1), and followed Kael's instructions for adding it in the Action tab, but, still, it doesn't work!

The XML is:

<GameData>
<Units>
<Update>
<Set Moves="1"/>
<Where UnitType="UNIT_WARRIOR"/>
</Update>
</Units>
</GameData>

The path is:

(Project's name)>XML>GameRules1.xml

so I entered

OnModeActivated UpdateDatabase XML/GameRules.XML

Am I doing something wrong?

2) Sorry for the noob, but wath is a "solution"? What does the "build solution" do? And what does the "start debugging" do? I used them both to try and test the "mod" I've copied from CrazyAce and was able to enable it in the game, but I really have no idea what they're actually for! (sorry I'm not even close to be a programmer...)

Read carefully : (Page34) "Once that is done we can add the files to our mod by creating an Art folder (though this isn't nessesary, I create it to help organize the project) and dragging and dropping our files into it."

For you last question : when you build project,it create the folder in the right place (My games/Sid meier's CivilizationV/Mods)
Then you can activate it in game

Thanks for the tip, still having a problem. I went ahead and click and dragged the image into my art folder, then built the project like you said. then i tried to test it, and the mod wasn't in my mod folder. So I click and dragged the files from mod buddy to my mods file. That did it, and I activated the mod, but the civilization I built wans't and option in the game! Any ideas, anyone?

Top Bottom