WnH01 - Little Corporal

Got it for 20 turns.

We can build a settler in 10, probably the best bet. We've got a bit of time before barbs start crossing borders. No real value in dot mapping until we know if there's any copper around.
I'll probably play until BW is in and then post a map so we can debate second city site. I'll try and check out Incan territory fairly soon.

Played 8 turns. BW is in (tho not slavery yet). Only one source of copper uncovered (and of course it has to be a partially explored part of the map with all units several turns away exploring).

Edit: depending what's immediately north settling on the spices may have merit, avoids desert, on a river, copper and cows in second ring, but need to explore rest of the area before deciding for sure.

Played 20 turns.

Mucked around for ages with settler and warriors in the build queue, eventually got a city built.

Met some neighbours:

Popped five huts for 3 maps, 34g and some barbs. Lost a warrior, our scout is pretty beaten up.

Techwise went BW, myst, hunting, pottery (5 turns).

Eventually settled on the spices (2400bc), not totally convinced but its the only copper around. (oops, no screenshot).

We have lots of space for barbs to grow and flourish:

Still no sign of Egypt.

Capital is about to finish another worker, new city is building a monument. We've adopted slavery so should be able to whip it fairly soon.

Sure is quiet in here...

I'm back from my long weekend.

It's funny how we have limited cities, but have all the room in the world. Usually I'm rushing to get 4 or 5 in in time. :)

Good scouting, pigswill.... I just wish those screenshots had resources. You're forcing me to check the save :rolleyes: ;) I'm guessing HCs capital is still on top of the list as one of our cities?

Whoops missed Pigswill's report.

So got it will post thoughts tonight and a report on wednesday.

Ralph

I'm back now too.

Let's finally get somewhere in this game!

Settling on Spice looks nice. The city has enought food to work its (hammer) tiles and could be our IW-site later.

Let's go for Cuzco. The other 3 cities we'll found ourselves, right? So we might as well get going and settle them soonish and take Cuzco once it hosts the mids, GLib, shrine and other goodies ;)

Played 13 turns as it brought us to a natural breakpoint. (and I couldn’t remember how many I was supposed to play :blush: )

Basically very quiet.

Justinian was first to writing and as he is a distant target compared to HC and Egypt seemed worth cultivating as a friend versus people likely to be his religious enemies.

We whipped the monument a.s.ap and have connected the cities and pre-roaded the copper for when the border pops in a couple of turns.

Meanwhile the capital 2 pop whipped a granary and other than that has provided fog busting warriors.

With fog busters out we found Egypt due N of our empire.

After Pottery we researched writing which seemed a good place to stop.

Even with fog busters lots of dark territory and Barbs Archers are now appearing..

Attachments

• WnH01 - Little Corporal BC-1680.CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.2 KB · Views: 93
:coffee:...searching for the roster... yep, I'm up next.

Loose plan is to hook copper, build axes, and ... increase the corporal's stature. Are we going to continue meandering through the top of the tech tree, or do you have a beeline in mind, Boss?

In terms of vassals, is it even POSSIBLE to vassalize someone who is bigger than you? It looks to me like you'd have to take the AI down pretty hard to vassalize them under these rules, and run the risk of them rebuilding and breaking free unless they fear your power. IMO, it could be useful just to end the war with a crippled AI faster and move on (and for some happiness etc), but not much else. I'd not expect much in terms of troops/research from vassals a 6 city limited nation could actually capitulate.

Surely they AI's won't OFFER to be vassals :lol:, unless you guys are going to be churning out some nukes maybe...

Opened borders with Stalin so our scout can ...scout.

A barb warrior kills our warrior... in a forest... at 9.9%. Come on!
Actually it was at this point that the long delay in this TS happened. I was intrigued as to how the warrior lost, so went to check the combat log, which crashed me back to windows. Someone's using BUG and I'm not!!! Actually, I was under the impression this had been fixed in 2.21. I have BUG installed as a mod, not in custom assets, and obviously can't load this save with a mod. Bah... anyway I ended up biting the bullet and installing in custom assets. Anyway, enough of that. Back to the game 24 hrs later.

Opened borders with Ramses for a similar reason.

There are lots of barbs around! The good news is that Orleans' border popped, so copper is nigh.

63-64
The mapping of Russia, Egypt, and Byzantium continue. The settler has one turn to complete, but I'm feeling yellow with barb archers around, and slide an axe in first. We meet Shaka's scout, who is wandering around near Byzantium.

65-68
Ramesses gets a 'henge powered GP, which will no doubt be spent on the Temple of Solomon.

69-70
The settler is done. We meet Fred, whos scout is up near Russia.

71-72
The warrior scouting in Byzantium dies to a barb archer. I'll stop here for city site discussion. I know it's a little short, and took forever; usually I'd just whack a city in, but the limitations make the choice more important.

Here are the scouted areas and the area near the settler:
Egypt-

Russia-

Byzantium-

Attachments

• WnH01 - Little Corporal BC-1120.CivBeyondSwordSave
    123.7 KB · Views: 115
:blush: Whoa, uh, what? :lol:
Looks like I am too confused with the roster swaps. Forgive the rookie and let him play his part tomorrow.

*sigh* This is going slower than my sgotm. ;)

Roster:
1: Winth - up
2: mystyfly
3: pigswill
4: Ralph_Jackson
5: Sweetacshon - exhausted

Sorry for being late. I played the game, I just couldn't finish the report. :blush:

I played 8 turns to even turn count (it read 72 or something...)

01: I looked around. The Settler I have been left was the dramatic decision of the day. If I settle on the plains hill, I get two incenses and a lot of production, but with an absolute lack of any food resources.

So I moved 1NW, to get horses, sugar, pigs and one incense (which is a crappy tile anyway). It will provide us with some good production methinks and let us grow this city... and it will give us horses (Anyone for a Cavalry whoopass?)... So yeah, let's settle here.

In the interturn, our mighty Axeman slays his barbarian, outdated foe: a Warrior.

02: :coffee: *yawn* I just signed OB with other AIs, even those never met. (i.e: those we aren't aware of their position on the map)
03: Here's the shot at Lyons:
Given the fact that the best tile is a plains forest, I ask the city to work the tile and go for Monument to boost culture so we can use the worker.
Paris finishes it's Library, and Orleans - an Axeman. Orleans switches to Worker (we start losing money because of military units, so start taking care of the economy). I switch Paris to... Monument. Quite strange, but we are Charismatic and Paris already is on it's happy cap. It will take us 3 turns to finish the Monument. Grow, grow, grow.
4: Look there:

One of us planted a Road from our city to the tile. The problem is, we see Incan culture over there. If we are to get this site (Fish+Marble+two hills, if I am not mistaken!), we have to go after Huayna, and, sigh, raze the city.

5: I do not have to do anything with the Workers. One of them goes for Lyons to make a route to the capital. The other worker... Yeah, I decided to road the silk and some other tiles. When barbarians come knocking, I just don't like to lose the improvement because I came short on movement points.

6: Monument in Paris finished! Worker started. :coffee:
7: :coffee:
8: The barbarians are coming from the west... In order to secure our capital, I allow myself to move the Axeman to the west to Paris. Worker finished in Orleans, we start on an Axeman.

And that's all, folks. (music from Looney Tunes unavailable)

Roster:
1: Winth - FINALLY played.
2: mystyfly - UP NOW ("I pity the fool who comes next into the roster!").
3: pigswill - ON DECK
4: Ralph_Jackson
5: Sweetacshon - sleeping.

Question: How we will run an economy? The land around us is so food poor, and to the North there are Egyptians, so we are in a race to get the land. :confused:

Got it...

wow the captain played only 8 turns, and we're still far in the BCs.

I'm somewhat puzzled to see no military buildup. I thought we were agreed to take HC's cap. Workers can't do that ;) Really workers aren't priority now.

We can settle that rice-ivory-marble site up north if it's still available. Or calms-rice-banana as GPfarm...

One of us planted a Road from our city to the tile.
That'd be me. The borders of Orleans hadn't popped yet, and the 2 workers there needed something to do before mining the copper. It also seemed wise because I thought we were agreed on tackling HC asap. Which brings me to the next point:
5: I do not have to do anything with the Workers...
6: Monument in Paris finished! Worker started.
I'm always one for more workers rather than less, but you seem to have gone against your own observation and intuition here. :) Perhaps a settler or axes so we can start spanking HC and take that fine capital of his. Speaking of which, now we have an OB, can you go spy on him, mystyfly?

I'm always one for more workers rather than less, but you seem to have gone against your own observation and intuition here. Perhaps a settler or axes so we can start spanking HC and take that fine capital of his. Speaking of which, now we have an OB, can you go spy on him, mystyfly?
I think I'll build a settler and rest axes to start picking on HC but still haven't looked at the save. I'll play this evening (in 7-8hrs). If I see HCs defences I might "accidentally" already DOW. Keep my hopes up that he builds wonders instead of units ("harr harr harr builder fools" :evil:).

I think I drunk too much beer after today's training session so I don't think I should play now. Pigswill, you can play now, otherwise, I'll play once I'm somewhat sober again in ~11hrs.

Let's keep this simple and rush Honey Monster - hopefully he's been spamming quechas (but probably not). Build axes and forget the economy, we'll get alphabet finished anyway, maybe run a couple of scientists for some token research.

Edit: Got It.

can I play after you, pigswill, as I already missed the first round throught the roster?

Top Bottom