CivRome - Roman Empire

king_dean

Warlord
This mod is fully playable and is available on Steam Workshop for download. The playable content covers 323bc to 68bc (about 600 turns), but updates will be released periodically to extend the play period to 500ad (about 2000 turns).

Gives an idea of the magnitude and size of the map. It's HUGE!

There are 100 discoveries. Below is a screenshot of the work-in-progress.

STEAM DOWNLOAD HERE ==>
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296925510

In attempt to fight piracy of the Civ5 game (which hurts the industry and ultimately hurts everyone), this mod is not available as a direct download.

Official Mod Name: CivRome - The Roman Empire
Official Website: http://www.CivRome.com
Strategy Guide: Click Here
Special Requirements: All DLC and Expansions are required.

Can you put up a Direct Download please? Steam isn't downloading this for me.

Hmm, finally a Civ V mod I could be interested in.

You said 2000 turns - which speed do you recommend testing it on i.e. for which speed is it optimized at the moment?

I tried a Roman game. I got to conquer 2 city-states close by Rome, but then the negative resting point thing started to happen. It's gonna be hard to conquer the Italian peninsula without being shunned by the rest of the world.

I know the Romans didn't conquered the Italian peninsula in theory but rather set up alliances with the different cities, in which the individual city (junior partner) provided tributes and manpower to Rome (senior partner) and this setup only changed after the Social war, where the Italic cities was annexed and its inhabitants was granted citizenships.

Some bugs, missing contents and other technical issues.

-I didn't encountered any crashes while playing... :goodjob:

-I noticed that when I was conquering my first city state I had like 4 melee units next to his city and he had like 3 units that was just fortified and didn't do nothing while my units easily conquered his city taking only 1 hp damages while dealing 30 each turn. This kind of AI behavior makes sense in the normal game because the cities can bombard and inflict damages on attacking melee units, so normally it would makes sense for the defender to fortify its units, wait for the city to inflict damage on the attacking units, and then attack with your defending units, at least thats how I think the AI is sort of programmed to behave.
I have some thoughts on this:
-Revert it back to the normal game system.
-Take some inspiration from the "American Civil War" scenario from BNW.
-Keep it as it is.
-Develop some defensive buildings that will increase city HP and strength(damage returned to melee units).
Some buildings could be:
Palisade wall. adds HP.
Archer towers. req. Palisade wall. adds strength.
Stone wall. req. Palisade wall. adds HP
Burning Oil(you know the kind you pour on the enemy when he tries to smash open the gate). req. Stone wall. adds strength

-It seemed that I couldn't build the "get 5 slaves in a conquered city building" (can't remember the name). This was before the version where you added the Bath, Flavian amphitheater, gladiator, tax collector and so on...
I tried waiting until the puppet couldn't build more buildings and just stop building anything altogether, then I annexed and still no slave building.

Some flavor comments:

-Maybe add some more city states, representing smaller tribes, in Iberia, Gaul and Britain. I know your idea is have to give the barbarian civs a lot of space to grow fat in, so they eventually will become a big threat to Rome.
-Maybe give some of the bigger civilized non-Roman civs some more cities to sort of push them in their historical direction, like you did with Carthage.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Nile delta with cities in it.
-Maybe add the Cisalpine Gauls as a civ and give them that gallic guy, who raided Rome when it was still a small insignificant city, as leader, Brennus or something.
-Maybe make northern africa (modern Tunisia and Libya) more fertile, in ancient times it was known as Rome's bread basket. It was only later in time that overproducing and decertification turned it in to the more arid environment there is today.

Finally, congratulation on a fine job so far and I know its far from finished and there is much work to do and some of my complaints/comments might already be fixed or you already have something similar in mind.

Would you mind to tell me how to get this mod for mac. It looks really good and I'd like to be able to download it.

By fighting against piracy by not allowing your mod to be available by direct download is kinda stupid because it's close to DRM when you excluding people who are unable to get steam workshop version to work and it seems your also preventing people who uses a mac or a linux OS.

Plus your the first person who decided to take this stance as far as I know off and not remain neutral, which is going to be your downfall in the future because for once your a modder of the game and your mod is available for FREE... yet you are fighting against piracy with a FREE mod? I failed to see your logic here.

Every time I load a save game from inside a running game it crashes to desktop. I can load a save game from the menu before starting though.

Lots of potential here. A couple of quibbles though:

Unless I did something wrong, I would argue that the mod isn't currently good for gameplay up to 63 BC yet.

The tech tree isn't fully developed past tech stage 3 yet - I am in the 180s BC now and have passed that ... playing on standard speed. Just nitpicking here basically, wondering if I did something in a way not intended.

Now I have no idea, if it might not be balanced on all speeds yet. If so, those other speeds should be disabled for the time being.

A few comments:

- I wonder what the author meant by a proper rock-paper-scissors system for units - currently cavalry feels useless and infantry seems to be the only option ... which at the moment makes for boring battles lacking tactics. Idea: military city states could give you auxiliary units (like ranged) but never the standard phalanx/upgradable to legion units.

- I know the author said that the world hated Rome. Apart from that being at least an oversimplification, the standard civ V diplomacy/denounce system just doesn't work very well for that period of history. Not to mention it doesn't make for very interesting gameplay, especially if you wanted to play other empires like the Seleucids or Egypt.

- The slow improvement build times feel somewhat weird: I'm sure there was a design idea behind this - I'd be curious to know what the author intended by making it that way.

- The slave system is a very interesting idea, if still rough in its execution (it's still alpha after all). Suggestion: As you research, existing sources of slaves should give you more resource units per source, simulating the increasing dependency on slaves in Roman society.

Lastly, a general piece of advice, because many mods get this wrong: in all functions I'd first consider whether it's fun to play first and then worry about historicity.

Top Bottom