Truffles?

About copper: I would like it more as a strategic resource used for spearmen, horsemen and such - but a lot more common than iron, and later on used for electric infrastructure (telephone/telegraph) lines.

Could also work like bonus resource that gives +20% production for classical era units, and with the discovery of electronics (or some other industrial/modern tech) a +3 gold bonus or something. Could also give +1 faith and/or culture with metal casting (should maybe a bonus belief thing)

It would be strange if it would be visible before Bronze working is discovered, but can a bonus resource be hidden and then revealed by a tech?

I could go with this. I was thinking +2 after Electricity or something.

Tea and coffee should both be in, in my opinion. It seems crazy not to have either when stuff like Citrus and Truffles are being added (not to say that neither is a fitting choice, although I would probably have had Citrus as bonus rather than luxury). And yeah, Crabs should definitely be bonus. We already have 2 water-based luxuries (Pearls, Whales) and only one bonus (Fish).

Being British I'm obviously biased towards the inclusion of tea, but given how important the tea and coffee trades have been to the economies of Asian, African and South American countries, they really should both feature. I wonder though whether the Austrian Coffee House is a cop-out reference to cofee and it's as close as we'll get to the resource appearing. I do remember at least one Civ game including it in the past - am I thinking of Call to Power?

Cocoa is probably also worthy of a mention.

How about silk? Just put 'em in the woods and make them use a camp instead of a plantation.

Tea would be wonderful as a luxury resource (better than coffee IMHO), and caviar sounds better than crabs (coral sounds good as well)

I'd suggest mink but that's a bit too much like fur. A weird alternative (at least for the west), could actually be bird's nests. The nests are crushed for saliva (used by the swiftlets to make the nest) which is then used to make a drink/soup. It's fairly popular here in Thailand (as well as in China, as far as I know). Other alternatives for camp based luxury resources in forests could be musk and beeswax/honey

In any case, why no rice?

Isn't bird's nest soup really, really controversial (as in, on a par with shark fin soup) from a conservation point of view though? I can't see them including it on that basis.

I haven't heard about anything like that, anyway, one could say the same about Ivory or Whales. In any case, artificially farming the nests has become fairly popular recently. Wikipedia lists it as an animal of least concern (not endangered).

And how about Pheasants or Turkeys as alternatives then? (although these are starting to sound more like bonus resources)

I would much rather see crabs as a bonus resource and something like turtles as a new water luxury resource. As for replacement, I think both coffee and tea have a place in the game, equal or greater to things like truffles or citrus (both of which I'm quite excited for). I would also very much like to see things like hemp or opium, but I doubt those will appear. ;)

All that said, I just think it's cool they're adding the amount of new resources that they are, especially with the amount of content already coming with Gods & Kings. Though I am a little befuddled by crabs, it doesn't detract from my eagerness to play.

How about silk? Just put 'em in the woods and make them use a camp instead of a plantation.

Well, silk worms were more or less "farmed," not harvested in the wild, so a plantation makes more sense.

Tobacco should be in as a luxury resource.
Cocoa as well.
Crab should be a bonus resource. It is pretty big cultural thing though in areas like the Chesapeake Bay and Alaska.
Salt I could see as a bonus resource or a luxury resource. Salt was a pretty important good. It could appear in hills or on coastal tiles.
I would say Chili Peppers would be a nice bonus resource that could be added in the future. You can't find a cuisine that doesn't use chili pepper.

Opium has a long history in trade.

Yea I have to say Coffee. It was guarded preciously for centuries by the Arabs and Europeans, forts were built to guard plantations, trading it illegally punishable by death, and it became a huge trading luxury. Its a luxury that just makes sense to get in.

Tea of course would be another good one.

I don't mind truffles but I think they better fit a City State Unique luxury than a general luxury.

Opium is a dangerous drug though, not sure if portraying it as a trade item would affect the rating.

Then again you've got whales and ivory. Not the same kind of controversy, sure, but still...

hemp should be in though for sure, hemp and smokeable marijuana are COMPLETELY different things, hemp has been used for thousands of years for everything from clothes, paper, rope, canvas, oil, etc.

No argument here. Though, I think they could have come up with a few luxuries a bit more relevant than either hemp/opium or truffles. Tea/Coffee for example. How you can include the East India company without having coffee/tea for them to trade just boggles my mind.

Also, may I point out, that at this moment the civs have absolutely nothing (Except wine. I'm apparently ******ed. Thanks SHaW for pointing this out.) to get drunk on. I'm pretty sure beer was the first luxury resource humans actively developed. =P

Top Bottom