Concerning Faith Bombs.

So I was playing as Ethiopia spreading my holy faith of Pastafarianism across the lands when the heathen Mayans decide to send their great prophet to Addis Ababa. Panicking, I order for a wall of pikemen to surround the city in a vain attempt to keep the heathens out.

To my surprise, this worked :eek:. The Mayan great prophet danced around the pike wall for awhile until they decided to go to one of my cities to the south. I do the exact same thing. Eventually the failed prophet gave up and went home.

Has anyone ever tried this before? I expect so.

Oh yeah. I've had my units surround Prophets. I've had my units chase Prophets around to block them from getting to a city.

All future games.... ENHANCED religion so I can get inquisitors.

Oh yeah. I've had my units surround Prophets. I've had my units chase Prophets around to block them from getting to a city.

All future games.... ENHANCED religion so I can get inquisitors.

I didn't chase anything. I surrounded the city with units.

Yeah, I do this all the time. It's great when you can pin them against impassible terrain. You can also pin enemy units in proxy wars (i.e., when you don't want to go to war but you don't want X enemy to conquer a city state, capital, or other city).

You can pretty effectively block Prophets with just a few units; being civilian, they can't pass through other units, and the AI is especially poor at navigating around obstacles.

As much as above is a very effective way, I still think that Great Prophets should be reworked, there's nothing more annoying that having them walk up to you without being penalized.

I think they should A. Remove GP's Heresy removal ability in rival cities (they could still work within your borders)
B. Double their strength, but have them suffer attrition, down to a 1 strengh so they don't simply die.

As much as above is a very effective way, I still think that Great Prophets should be reworked, there's nothing more annoying that having them walk up to you without being penalized.

I think they should A. Remove GP's Heresy removal ability in rival cities (they could still work within your borders)
B. Double their strength, but have them suffer attrition, down to a 1 strengh so they don't simply die.

Doesn't that kind of remove the point of a great prophet? If they were weaker than I REALLY wouldn't ever want to spawn them.

They are fine as is. Its not hard to deal with rivals and there needs to be someway to help reduce religion influence in other cities.

A GP bomb on the capital and surrounding cities + religious texts will convert entire civs given how tight the AI likes to settle. Do it in the industrial era, and the cost of missionaries or inquisitors will guarantee the AI will never be able to revert back to its own religion.
It's best if you keep an inquisitor handy for the exact same purpose. So far, I like this new element of tactic and spreading religion is like the cultural annexion of the old civ games :)

Well, I agree with that... just because there's a counter doesn't mean the feature isn't annoying.

I'm not sure what the right answer is on how to fix them, however.

So I was playing as Ethiopia spreading my holy faith of Pastafarianism across the lands when the heathen Mayans decide to send their great prophet to Addis Ababa. Panicking, I order for a wall of pikemen to surround the city in a vain attempt to keep the heathens out.

To my surprise, this worked :eek:. The Mayan great prophet danced around the pike wall for awhile until they decided to go to one of my cities to the south. I do the exact same thing. Eventually the failed prophet gave up and went home.

Has anyone ever tried this before? I expect so.

...and I had an AI civ...Egypt...do that to me....I simply couldn't get at one of their cities...a combination of blocking units and mountains....so I tried another manoeuvre...going to sea and coming in another way...but miscalculated...I got too close to a CS which was allied to another AI I was at war with...the GP was killed...:lol:

But, alas, all I had to do was wait... within about three turns the city had naturally converted due to pressure from already converted cities ...:sad:

Always have an inquisitor stationed in your holy city. A city with inquisitor in it can't be converted.

This! I've used an inquisitor in my holy city ever since Catherine converted it with a Buddhist GP. :lol:

Top Bottom