A Mod of Ice and Fire

Hi guys!.

First of all congrats couse the mod is awesome!.

But i´m having problems with the map. I download the MOD but i don´t know how can i pick the correct map for this MOD......I have two mas, one of westeros(only) and another one with all the GoT map.

If I pick the first the players starts in the correct positions but i can´t chose Danaerys because there´s no essos. And if i chose the other map I can chose danaeris(for examle) but layers stars randomly.......

How did you know that would work? it did \o/

hi
because I try to put steam files on another partition of my harddisk and could not play many of the mods (no problem with the game itself though); so I knew I made a mistake and reinstall everything

Or do you mean scenario like plot?

Yeah, like the actual scenarios that come with the game. I imagine it'd be possible, have the characters be pieces that can be captured that give points for controlling them, extra points for holding the various seats of power, etc. Then win off points at the end of the game.

I've tried twice to play House Targaryen in this mod and encountered the same problem. At some point I can no longer select an item to build in any city (nor can I change my current build instruction or add an item to the build queue if in queue mode). Once a city is no longer building anything I cannot proceed with the game, because I can't end the turn without issuing a build order (and even if I could continue, there would be no point because with none of my cities able to build anything defeat would be assured).

I'm playing version 1 of the BNW version of the mod. I initially installed via Steam; when I encountered the problem the first time I uninstalled and reinstalled manually. The same problem happened again. Attached to this post is the second saved game, at the point where this problem prevented me from advancing. (The saved game from the first time this happened wouldn't even load, so I didn't bother attaching it.)

-------------

Another problem is that some of the art assets for House Targaryen appear to be broken. When I first installed the mod I began a game and the art seemed fine - but the game crashed as it was trying to transfer control of my units to me (ie at the very start of play). After relaunching the game I noticed that Daenerys' portrait was showing Alexander's instead, and in place of the House emblem was the emblem for Greece. Otherwise, the game seemed to work fine (until the bug described above). The uninstall and manual reinstall did not correct the missing artwork problem. (I did verify that the mod folder in ...\My Documents\...\Mods was complete gone before reinstalling it.) If there's some step beyond deleting the mod folder that is necessary to completely uninstall a mod, then it might be helpful to include that information in the mod's ReadMe and in this thread.

-------------

Finally, just a balance note for House Targaryen. I'm new to this mod, so maybe I'm playing House Targaryen wrong, but it seems to me that they need some help economically to offset the (initial) burden of Daenerys' dragons. The early BNW economy is very fragile, and paying support for three units that don't contribute very much inevitably sends her economy into collapse fairly quickly. I don't question the decision to limit the starting power of the dragons, and I can understand the balance of an initial overhead for units that are initially underpowered and then later overpowered. The problem is that she has to build other units to actually protect her cities (the dragons quickly fail to fulfill that function, as they are completely outmatched by Archers), and that puts her into negative gold, and then eventually negative science, and then when she finally manages to research the first dragon upgrade, which would put them back in the game, she can't afford the cost to upgrade even one dragon because she has no gold at all. I think that this problem could be fixed by eliminating the maintenance on her three Dragons, or by reducing the cost to upgrade them to zero.

Attachments

• Daenerys_0106 ca.-0225.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
I encountered the same problem with The Crownlands. The first time I launched a game the leader picture and House emblem were fine, but the game locked up before I could actually play. The second time I launched a game Stannis' picture was replaced with Elizabeth's and the emblem displayed was England's. While playing, the emblems and leader graphics of other civs are working correctly. Also, it is not just the graphics that are wrong; for example, the civ description text displayed when loading a saved game shows that for Greece or England instead of that for Daenerys or Stannis, and each turn I am hailed as Daenerys Stormborn of Greece or Stannis Baratheon of England.

It seems to me that maybe some files in the install are corrupted or incorrectly formatted, and that error is causing the game to first lock up and then subsequently reject those files (resulting in default game information being used instead of the intended mod information).

-------------

Also, I encountered the same problem with being unable to change the build queue after progressing through the game a bit. I followed a slightly different research path each play-through, and the common denominator appears to be Mathematics. It seems that once I've researched that I can no longer modify the build queues in my cities. I don't know whether this is related to the same problem file(s) situation I suggested above, or some separate issue.

I've had the same problems with both Dorne and the Dothraki, so I don't think it's specific to one Civ. I don't have a fix, but I discovered a go-around:

go into the city screen, select 'purchase', then from the 'purchase' screen, select 'produce'. The small button down the bottom, not the larger tab. That'll get you into the production tab and allow you to continue. It's time consuming, but it should tide you over until a fix gets sorted out.

Great mod, by the by.

Congratulation VirtuaBoza for your great Mod.

If I may, here are some suggestions of things that could be done in order to improve it. I must admit that I haven't read all the posts of this thread so it's possible someone else already made them.

Those ideas come from the other GoT inspired mod on Civ, called "A Civ of ice and fire", and which developpment seems abandonned but, yet, had some good ideas to make the game more interesting... and more "in tune" with the books.

And the best part is that they are probably too not difficult to include.

1) You could add a technology "Valyrian steel" and a few mines of such steel on the map, which allow to build valarian swords that increase the damages of knights.

2) You could add a technology "Dragonglass", you know the stuff that, at the end of season 3, allow to kill one of the white beasts (don't remember the name) and, of course add 1 or 2 mines of such steel, that would allow to build even more powerfull swords (and arrows). Instead of mines, you could also decide that this ressource can only be received from a specific city-state (Castleblack) as a present, which would make it difficult to get, and so valuable.

3) You could add the "Wildfire" technology. This requires "Pitch" and "Agrumes" (Pitch being, in the other mod, represented by petrol). This "Pitch" should be rare. It alone could be used to create flaming arrows for archers. But, combined with Agrumes, it allow to create Wildfire ballista and Wildfire boats with big damages capacities.
Because of the power of such weapons, the "¨Pitch" ressource should be rare. Or, it could be only given by one or two specific city-state(s) located in the desert, as a present.

4) You could also create the "Faceless man" unit, which is able to move in the ennemy territory without been detected, in order to strike a specific high value target. But it's possible to have them detected if you build a special building in the city.

So, if you think too that would make your mod even better, do not hesitate to implement !

Just registered to the forums just to say that this is a great mod and please update it if you can. It has great work in it, would be a shame if it stays at this unplayable stage. Please update it.

bugs: either game hangs at start or game stucks at productions input or crashes at some point :p (playing bnw version with fall update)

My fav mod right now, playing on G&K. Runs good but when I load the scenario it is only 8 civs, 3 missing. Then when I go in advanced civs are just random on the map, just a mess.

Someone should make up a Complete scenario for this mod..

My fav mod right now, playing on G&K. Runs good but when I load the scenario it is only 8 civs, 3 missing. Then when I go in advanced civs are just random on the map, just a mess.

Someone should make up a Complete scenario for this mod..

Which map are you loading scenario with? I think Westeros is the smaller map, try "The Known World" map with scenario; should be 12 civs and 20 soveregnities.

FYI the opening post mentions nothing about BNW. Perhaps changing that would help.

Looks awesome can't wait till the bugs are ironed out to give it a go.

Hello and congrats for the great mod!

Can you make the valyrian steel swords as civ specific artefacts at start?

Few things I'd love to see in future versions:

- suitable techtree - by the time I settle the north, I am almost over with the tech tree. most of the game I just research future techs with some robocop picture on them.
- unit graphics
- preset map ressources (some rebalancing especialy of the North)
- more interesting unit promotions
- few hero units
- no ships for the Dothraki!!
- no ships for the Wildlings
- very bad relations between castle black and wildlings - sometimes they become allies?! and maybe impassable terrain between the citadels and castle black

Is it possible to limit the expansion of AI factions??? It sux to see wildling towns in old Valyria, but also any other factions.

Other mods working fine, this mod (bnw version) hanging.

How do you do a "clean reinstall"?

Alright, so I've been playing this conversion mod called A Mod of Ice and Fire.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171827383&searchtext=a+mod+of+ice+and+fire
It is very good but the Brave New World version will reliably crash after a couple dozen turns.
Are there any good modders out there that can fix the crashes if there isn't already a fixed version?

I was initially going to put this in the mod sub-forum, but then I decided I'd like to get other people's opinion on the mod, have they had the same issues, and what their general opinion of the mod is.

Personally I think its one of the best Game of Thrones conversions out today. The Total war one feels very clunky and a bit too militaristic.

The Neck seems like a legitimate fortification for the North, and the idea that its too big to hold seems very true.
Playing as the Vale and having Petyr send trade ships across the Narrow sea just FEELs right,
and here, warmonger penalties make sense! I mean in the books, if The Reach suddenly annexed the Stormlands, of course everyone else would be annoyed.(I wont elaborate on that lest this become a warmonger ethics thread)

Top Bottom