When the Great Wall is made obsolete

phillipwyllie

Wannabe Deity
Is it when you research Dynamite, or is when the first civ to research Dynamite?
When a civ has researched Dynamite is the Great Wall obsolete for all civs(no civs will incur the movement penalty), or is it obsolete only for those civ who have researched Dynamite?

Is it when you research Dynamite, or is when the first civ to research Dynamite?
When a civ has researched Dynamite is the Great Wall obsolete for all civs(no civs will incur the movement penalty), or is it obsolete only for those civ who have researched Dynamite?

It goes obsolete when the Great Wall's builder researches Dynamite. This then goes for all the other civs as well.
Kinda bizarre, but hey.

It should provide a tourist bonus once you've researched some modern tech, kinda like the mogul fort.

Technically it does; it provides culture, just as every wonder does, and Hotels/Airports turn the culture from wonders into tourism.

Question then, if civ that build it never researched dynamite ( ak dead) GW never absolute?

Question then, if civ that build it never researched dynamite ( ak dead) GW never absolute?

Then, it's whoever owns the city the Great Wall is in. For example, I acquired the Great Wall from China in my current game (it's the Great Wall of Sweden now), and it will protect my lands until I research Dynamite.

In a related note, I really dislike that Wonder.

It should provide a tourist bonus once you've researched some modern tech, kinda like the mogul fort.

Wonders tourism is from hotel / airport and then multiplied by national visitor center / Olympics / internet.

Mongol Fort is from Flight, but doesn't appear to get bonuses from hotel / airport. The multiplier from national visitor center / Olympics / internet still applies.

Counterintuitively, the Great Wall goes obsolete only when the civ that built it researches Dynamite.

Actually the current city owner, which can be different.
Now once it does expire it won't reactivate even if conquered by someone without the tech.

This is actually exactly like Civ IV wonders, which had several more than expired.

So just running this to its logical conclusion... If GoStu's Great Wall of Sweden was RECAPTURED by China, would the effect spring back into existence?

Odd.....

So just running this to its logical conclusion... If GoStu's Great Wall of Sweden was RECAPTURED by China, would the effect spring back into existence?

Odd.....

Yes. My armies would once again be slowed by the wall that did nothing after they captured it.

That's a hell of an "if" though :lol:

Odd.....

Yes. My armies would once again be slowed by the wall that did nothing after they captured it.

That's a hell of an "if" though :lol:

It's actually unlikely that it would come back into play: Civ II, III, and IV all had a flag that got flipped when it expired, and was only checking the ones that hadn't expired yet.

It was designed this way because some one with artillery AND the great wall would be completely impossible to kill. Although you can actually have the great wall still active with great war bombers which is even more insane.

I just ran into this in my game last night, and It was BRUTAL.
My artillery being slowed down was a non-issue. My cavalry getting slowed down was nearly the end of my offensive. India had riflemen and.... cannons and ... flight. so the wall effect was still active in their territory. Naturally they had the red fort too because I always refuse to build it. I lost units because of this ridiculous quirk of the great wall. Now I have the Great wall, and its useless except as a minor culture boost.

I cant suggest a fix. its just disappointing that it works this way :/

Lucky for me I had allies in the war and India got pinched from 3 sides and I got the capitol anyway.

I just ran into this in my game last night, and It was BRUTAL.
My artillery being slowed down was a non-issue. My cavalry getting slowed down was nearly the end of my offensive. India had riflemen and.... cannons and ... flight. so the wall effect was still active in their territory. Naturally they had the red fort too because I always refuse to build it. I lost units because of this ridiculous quirk of the great wall. Now I have the Great wall, and its useless except as a minor culture boost.

I cant suggest a fix. its just disappointing that it works this way :/

Lucky for me I had allies in the war and India got pinched from 3 sides and I got the capitol anyway.

Actually, the best way to fight an AI with the Great Wall is to bypass it entirely. Build a navy and take all their coastal cities. (Great Wall has no affect on naval units.) Even if both it's capital and the Great Wall is inland, the AI is no longer going to do well with you having first forcibly land locked them.

Calvary actually have no business ending any turn within city bombardment range in Civ V. Either use Gatling Guns or Rifles as the screening units for the artillery instead.
Calvary's best Civ V role is instead open field, attacking an enemy unit and moving after combat to get back to safely, so you may as well keep them home (or in newly captured lands) when fighting an offensive war against someone with the Great Wall.

joncnunn : you are correct in all regards

but sometimes you must go to war with the army you have (cavalry) and not what you wish you had :) I had some very nice upgraded Calvary that started out as war chariots. My plan was to attack once I had armor units, but time was of the essence. Ghandi has his cities close together, so staying out of city defense range is not always possible.

as always, the terrain determines so much of what is actually possible.

And there were no coastal cities, everything was inland, so I could not get my impressive navy involved, except pot-shots from the coast, which helped a little.

joncnunn : you are correct in all regards

but sometimes you must go to war with the army you have (cavalry) and not what you wish you had :) I had some very nice upgraded Calvary that started out as war chariots. My plan was to attack once I had armor units, but time was of the essence. Ghandi has his cities close together, so staying out of city defense range is not always possible.

as always, the terrain determines so much of what is actually possible.

And there were no coastal cities, everything was inland, so I could not get my impressive navy involved, except pot-shots from the coast, which helped a little.

I see two cases
#1: You called the timing.
In that case, why DOW until you have the correct forces??? (The fact that their Great Wall had not expired yet meant they were zero threat to a science or diplomatic victory, and very unlikely to have been able to cultural win within 30 turns.)

#2: You did NOT call the timing. (AI DOWing you / you agreeing to an AIs request for a war in 10 turns but you really aren't ready with.)
In this case, your best bet is stay on the defensive until you can finish building your army with the correct forces to go on the offensive.

Avoiding "Swords into Plowshares" like the plague when choosing religious follower beliefs will neatly avoid the only penalty for being in a phony war.

Take a look at first part of European Theater of WWII. France and the UK declared war on Germany in September. But did Germany invade France right away? Or even right after defeating Poland? No, they waited until they had sufficient Panzers in position before crossing the borders into France via the low countries. (They also actually wanted France to first finish its forward deployments.)

Top Bottom