My best city so far

Is that in the full game? And on SP or MP? If SP, what difficulty? Cuz i've done that on the Demo in MP playing on King Difficulty.

No, it's on the demo, Warlord level, SP. AFAIK, the demo only has Chieftain and Warlord levels.

No, it's on the demo, Warlord level, SP. AFAIK, the demo only has Chieftain and Warlord levels.

That's incorrect. I would have thought that an admin here would have more knowledge about the demo. Well just to clarify it actually goes up to King Difficulty if you play the MP. The thing that most don't know is that you have a 100 Handi wen running Chieftan and around a 70% Handi when running on Warlord. So there is a higher level that you can play on the demo in MP. Were you using democracy? Cuz i've got more than that running democracy, but I was playing the MP.

No, being site admin doesn't mean you know more about the game. You know more by playing. If anything, being site admin actually means less time to play.

Normally I am mainly interested in playing single player Civilization. But this might change with CivRev. Unfortunately due to some connection issues (probably router related), I haven't been able to play MP so far.

Were you using democracy?
That should be obvious. In the game I just finished, I was making slightly more, at around 3450 gpt in the mega city. I wonder if anyone has calculated the maximum possible gpt in a city...

PS: Moved these posts to separate thread instead. didn't want to threadjack KAZUY4's video tutorial thread... :)

No, being site admin doesn't mean you know more about the game. You know more by playing. If anything, being site admin actually means less time to play.

Normally I am mainly interested in playing single player Civilization. But this might change with CivRev. Unfortunately due to some connection issues (probably router related), I haven't been able to play MP so far.

That should be obvious. In the game I just finished, I was making slightly more, at around 3450 gpt in the mega city. I wonder if anyone has calculated the maximum possible gpt in a city...

PS: Moved these posts to separate thread instead. didn't want to threadjack KAZUY4's video tutorial thread... :)

Oh fosho bro. I just thought you'd be playing more than the rest of us due to you having to maybe answer a lot of questions you feel me.
But here's my best And I i'm pretty sure I maxed out the demo.

How is that even possible?

Well first off it's all about your location and how many sea squares you can optimize around your city. But it's really just maximizing everything that up's your gold in the game.

This is my best mega city so far:
I'm surprised it got so big, particularly given the lack of food sources (I only see one plain providing 3 food and no harbor). Did you grow it by transferring population from other cities as settlers?

I'm surprised it got so big, particularly given the lack of food sources (I only see one plain providing 3 food and no harbor). Did you grow it by transferring population from other cities as settlers?

Of course bro. You have to Feed in order to get your city like that.

Well this is my first civ game, so I assume just from hearing somewhat of how civ4 used to run, that this game has some new features in it that are different from that of civ4.

Just posted some new screens from my latest game. This time the best city has 3672 gpt:

Spoiler :

I checked the city and here are some stats:

Gold Per Turn: 3672

Trades from citizens
  • 17 citizens not working on tiles: 55 trades:
    • 1 Exporter: +1 hammer, +5 trade
    • 6 Importers: +6 hammer, +24 trade
    • 6 Merchants: +6 hammer, +18 trade
    • 4 Traders: +4 hammer, +8 trade
  • 11 citizens working on tiles: 11 * 3 = 33 trades
  • 3 citizens seem to contribute hammer only (I didn't notice that when I was taking the screenshot. I probably could have make them work those sea tiles)

Base trades: 88
Bonus / Multipliers:
  • Democracy Gov't: +50% trade, +50% science
  • First to discover Industrialization: +5 gold
  • First to discover The Corporation: +5 gold
  • Bank: +400% gold
  • Great Explorer: +50% gold
  • Wonder: Trade Fair: +200% gold
  • Wonder: Colossus: +0 trade because it's obsolete by Invention. If not obsolete, +200% trade]
  • Wonder: East India: +0 trade because it's obsolete by Flight. If not obsolete, +1 trade in sea squares]

Does anyone know the order the multipliers are applied? :)

I assumed the bonuses were additive, but if that were the case, you wouldn't be able to make more than ~700 gold in that city, so I've no idea how it calculates it with bonuses.

from Wonders Page said:
Colossus of Rhodes - 100 hammers, Prerequisite = Bronze Working, Obsolete by = Invention, Effect =Doubles Trade production in the city

I am not 100% sure, but it seems if the Colossus is built after Invention is discovered, the wonder still takes effect and doubles the city's trade production. Perhaps someone can confirm that?

I think someone said that wonders only go obsolete after someone else besides the owner of the wonder, researches the needed technology.

I think someone said that wonders only go obsolete after someone else besides the owner of the wonder, researches the needed technology.
I think it may vary from Wonder to Wonder. The Civilopedia has an obsoleting Tech indicated, but doesn't say one way or the other if that's the Wonder's owner getting the tech or someone else. IIRC correctly though some of the Wonder rollover items (from when you select them in the build queue) are worded in such a way to imply that obsolescence occurs not when the owner getting a particular tech but when someone else does. The manual claims "The special effects of some wonders expire when any civilization discovers a certain technology." (p. 26 UK Edition)

On a side note, does anyone find the Ancient Wonders useful? While they're not super expensive, they seem to have a very short lifespan. The few times I've built them, it seems like only a few turns before they go obsolete. The Medieval Wonders seem to last a lot longer.

Nice work you guys put into those cities. Mega cities indeed! I keep running into a problem of not enough production in the beginning, like trying to build earlier wonders in my mega cities. Eventually they build up steam but not for those super early wins.

I hope this isn't derailing the thread but I always try for the ancient wonders (only the demo) in the easier settings, might change with the pace increase in the later difficulties. Alot depends on what Cleo has gotten free also, i notice she gets Collosus alot! If that is the case really not as inclined to build wonders, usually military to take her city lol.

Has anyone managed to put up a mega city NOT using the Romans? So far all the mega cities have been nothing but Roman cities. It would be nice to see some OTHER civilizations getting the mega city treatment.

Has anyone managed to put up a mega city NOT using the Romans? So far all the mega cities have been nothing but Roman cities. It would be nice to see some OTHER civilizations getting the mega city treatment.

Do you mean in the demo, or retail? In full-playthroughs I typically have at least two or three mega cities by the end of the game. You can either settler push or just wait it out, eventually if you have a good location they'll boom, especially with granary / aqueduct usage, plus great people / wonders.

Top Bottom