Heathen conversion work on rebels?

tetley

Head tea leaf
Anyone know if Heathen conversion works on rebels, by any chance? Happiness below -10, spawn rebels, send in missionaries to quash the rebellion.

That's a funny series of events if you think about it in real life:

1: You run the country into the ground and everybody hates you.
2: Civilizations form underground political parties and rise up and try to overthrow the government.
3: You send out evangelists and religious fanatics to convince them to not only stop the rebellion but also enlist in your army.

Thanks. I would never get -10 happiness just to get the units, but I've got other factors in play.

I converted a couple rebel cavalry--spawned a couple rebels next to my town, emergency purchased a missionary, pow. It's cool, but I don't think it is imbalancing enough to be an exploit. You have to get Reformation and throw your economy in the water closet to get it. If anything is imbalancing, it is having Heathen conversion at all.

It only works because firaxis didn't care to classify them as rebels but instead just left them as barbarians and called it a day.

i have never seen that belief when reforming before
EDIT: stupid comment i didnt even know what a reformation belief was i thought you were talking about enhancing

That is the best exploit ever! Barb camps are mostly gone the time heathen conversion becomes available, so it seemed like a worthless pick to me, even though it is a neat trick. But if you are going on for Dom, HC would be terrific and OP! Especially since you can be pretty sure they will spawn in your cap.

It is not really op. Ok you can get some free units if you let your empire fall below -10, but cost of falling below -10 if very high.

I don't think its worth running at -10 happy just to exploit this. Those 0xp units from military CS are annoying enough. Who needs 3+ of those every few turns?

OTOH my experience with domination (I am not very good at it) is that rebels are very much a constraining factor. I try hard to avoid going to -10, so that really slows me down. HC would completely negate that, providing gold if not fodder. The rebels ramp up each spawn, so this might be really interesting to exploit. It's OP in that circumstance, and I agree with Callonia that this is lazy programming, not a purposeful design feature. Rebels should not follow the same rules as barbs.

I don't see the problem with it. You really have to go out of your way to find barbarians in the late game so this makes this option somewhat useful. If anything it's cheap that if you fully max out Honor, you can get free gold and culture just by harvesting your rebels. Maybe it would be smarter to make this a follower belief so that you get to use it while you're more likely to actually find them.

You purchase missionaries and they go really out of the way to find barbs. And then when you find them, it's a long trek back (if that's where they want to go). My last game with HC was just awful, but I can see the promise. You can CS gift the trash units immediately, maybe combining with Freedom. I converted a captured settler, which REMAINED A SETTLER. Settled Uluru on the other side of the world with it. Converted lots of navy, which otherwise I would have to hard build and they move fast. The CS accept triremes and galleys as gifts. Sent tons of gatlings to help my faraway CS allies (but not gift them). Gunboat diplomacy.

Best AI exploit was, I stationed brutes and archers on the archaeological sites, which frustrated the AI archaeologists. But guess what the AI does: they KEEP BUILDING THEM. I DOWed a couple AI and captured 11 archaeologists, and ran out of museum slots so fast I had to start annexing cities.

I don't see the problem with it. You really have to go out of your way to find barbarians in the late game so this makes this option somewhat useful.

It is easy to see the problem: The best part of HC is undocumented!

I like tetley's description of making HC work, but that is how it is suppose to go. If HC were meant as a safeguard against rebels, you would expect that feature as part of its description.

It's undocumented, insofar as the logical conclusion of 'convert Barbarians' and '-10:) spawns Barbarians' isn't spelled out in front of you.

The Aztec can cain Culture from rebellions, too. As can anyone with Honor.

A settler remaining a settler I don't believe is documented (vs. If you capture it you get a worker). Or that you do NOT get 25 gold for converting the camps. What about that you convert barb ships as well, and missionaries can be embarked, it does not matter?

There is no reason to believe that this particular game behavior is anything but an accident of lazy programming.

It's undocumented, insofar as the logical conclusion of 'convert Barbarians' and '-10:) spawns Barbarians' isn't spelled out in front of you.

The -10 :c5unhappy: spawning rebels is spelled out. That the programmers coded rebels == barbs is something a player has to figure out.

The Aztec can cain Culture from rebellions, too. As can anyone with Honor.

I have no problem with that. It's not an exploit. No OP. No player would be motivated to spawn rebellions for so little cash/culture. HC on the other hand, might make it worth it!

Top Bottom