Question to Warmongers: when do you build Barracks?

I only build them when I dont have some other source of Free XP.
Honestly, I usualy only build baracks in one city, which also gets all the other XP building, including BB_Gate if possible. Then when I build / rush a unit, its got 3 promos right off the bat.
I don't usually build any of these until the industrial age, and then only if I must or have nothing better to build but a huge army.

rather than build a baracks early, consider:
Barbs - opening game, 2 promos for each unit.
CS - Opening game all the way to industrial sometimes, one continuous war. Promos up to logistics (and beyond!) for any unit.

I like barracks, but unless I'm zulu it's primarily for my navy and air; not land. Also I get it early enough to build Heroic epic. If you later adopt tier 2 autocracy, that barracks spam really pays off.

I am not a fan of early barracks, but eventually every city. You need them for Heroic Epic after all.

I also have a working theory that more barracks means that CS are more likely to gift units with xp...

If you later adopt tier 2 autocracy, that barracks spam really pays off.

I love that tenant, it's like BG every city. But you need to spam Armory and Academy too.

Depends on the war. If I'm fighting with CAs, CBs, Galleass, or XBs then no barracks. Units are better - and the promotion heal can be huge.

Frigates/Artillery/GWBs: barracks, yes, and maybe an armory if I'm waiting for tech.

Nukes: well, no.
OH COME ON! Have you not heard of the uber powerful Nuke with Logistics? O_o

It blows up two times.

OP, you got the answer that people build barracks relatively late. As you note, it is relatively expensive and a detour on the tech tree. The half-cost, after Pottery would make it much more popular. A low-cost/no maintenance building that was just +1 :c5happy:/:c5culture: would worth it without the +15xp, so now you've got something very OP.

But I have to ask, why are you so vested in having players build barracks earlier in the queue? Its attributes are well balanced now.

This is a UI for a particular Civ he's creating, the barracks replacement in question is actually more of a pub, thematically. So it's supposed to be good -- I don't think it's Stele good or Pyramid good, but yeah, it's supposed to be something people want to build when it's available. As pointed out here, the +15XP is not a big deal early on because you can barb farm, and if you're taking 7 turns to build this UI you're not building an archer or most of a settler or whatever, so want to make it so that it *does* make sense to build.

--Good point, Browd, re Legalism, but at this point we're pretty much using PolicyPlus for all of our games so not a huge deal (no free culture building there).

Do you guys really think this is "very OP", or just a good UI?

Okay, buffing barracks as UI for a custom civ is perfectly reasonable. But, yes, what you propose IMHO sounds very OP. AFAIK, Russia is the only civ with barracks based UI, and all she gets out of it is a reduced costs of buying new tiles. At the very least, don't mess with the location in the Tech Tree, and even then I would say it's at least as good as Stele or Pyramid.

As an UB it sounds okay. Don't think it should be on pottery still.

Understood, that's purely thematic (pottery for the beer mugs), I can understand that from an overall gamey perspective it's not optimal.

I'm surprised at the folks that say it's OP, like Stele-level. I mean, really? Stele gives you a super easy pantheon, which is generally worth at least +3 or +4 culture, and almost guarantees you a religion, all in a building you'd build anyway.

This is something you wouldn't normally build, for just +1 culture/+1 happiness, and +15XP to units that everyone thinks is so unimportant that they don't even build a barracks most of the time in the first 100 turns.

Thanks to Browd for the reminder about Ikanda, since that is a barracks worth the tech tree detour. So is what you propose.

Most UB (even Stele and Pyramids) just give +2 of something. Or they are cheaper or free maintenance. You propose both types of boons, so yes it’s is OP on its face, but actually that’s fine for DLC. But on top of that, you want to put it earlier in the tree! IMHO barracks-as-pub works fine thematically, leaving it where it is.

Thanks to Browd for the reminder about Ikanda, since that is a barracks worth the tech tree detour. So is what you propose.

Most UB (even Stele and Pyramids) just give +2 of something. Or they are cheaper or free maintenance. You propose both types of boons, so yes it’s is OP on its face, but actually that’s fine for DLC. But on top of that, you want to put it earlier in the tree! IMHO barracks-as-pub works fine thematically, leaving it where it is.

Pyramids actually gives +3. +1faith and +2science when comparing to shrine.

Thanks for the opin', I think we are just looking at this from different vantage points. I'm trying to make a building that nobody builds more attractive; most UB are modifications of a building already good enough that you almost always build them, even without any sort of boost.

So to make this UB worthwhile, it not only has to get as good as a random building like a shrine or a monument, it has to surpass them. A UB that people look at and say "Yeah, I guess now I would consider building that instead of a shrine, maybe" isn't really adding anything special to the Civ.

On Fast Pace a Barracks is good for a Warmonger. You really don't have time to get the upgrades from warfare often unless you treat every unit like it were a Diamond. Which of course you have to do in Deity as you cannot afford to throw anything away.

But you don't need Barracks early, when you're using your units to kill Barbs they get great experience and upgrades for free. You also can farm Barbs with your ranged units... That will still never give you much XP or upgrades to get anything super juicy on a fast pace. On slower speeds which annoy me I heard you can get every upgrade in the book and I see no reason why you wouldn't want a freebie out the door if it takes 1 turn to build a Barrack down the road???

On Immortal I farm weaker Civs and still build Barracks. You should be doing well enough to be able to do it.

Make each barracks add one free unit support to the empire in the same lines as what happens when you pick Foreign Legions in Freedom. Worse than a Market, especially at endgame, but gold is a huge pain for early warmongering and this would really help.

I build barracks in my cap and in a designated production city right after workshops and universities. Melee units are pretty bad without cover promotions.

honestly a mod that gave barracks +1:c5happy: and +1:c5culture: would be over the top and completely unrealistic its a military building you dont just give it random traits that dont even suit it just to make it more appealing but the -50% production cost would be fine though

honestly a mod that gave barracks +1:c5happy: and +1:c5culture: would be over the top and completely unrealistic its a military building you dont just give it random traits that dont even suit it just to make it more appealing but the -50% production cost would be fine though

The idea is that it's a pub where people learn combat by engaging in large quantities of brawling with improvised weapons ... but why in the hell am I defending the idea given this is a game where you can harvest barbarians for culture? :lol:

I actually like an idea of barrack providing one of 2:
15% to melee units production

or 1 maintenance free unit.

I think bought of this will make them more attractive for warmongers.

The idea is that it's a pub where people learn combat by engaging in large quantities of brawling with improvised weapons ... but why in the hell am I defending the idea given this is a game where you can harvest barbarians for culture?
true lol

So...should Ireland be a civilization instead of the Celts(with their ceilidhs), or in addition to?

Top Bottom