Announcing Civilization Network!

It needs to have a single-user mode. I will not play multi-user. I won't torment my friends with Civ-related updates.
"Your friend Sid needs your help to Build The Leaning Tower of Pisa."
"Your friend Sid needs your help to Cancel Trade Agreements with Soren(Vikings)."

And, this better be really, really cool. Not much in Facebook gaming is really appealing now. You can't shoot yourself in the foot and expect to drive paying customers to Civ5.

Don't be a stranger. Toss us a bone with a message or two on the boards.

Great news.

Count me in for the Beta if you want an Hardcore casual tester ;).

Besides, that this anouncement is also advertisement, i think, that this is also good community work :goodjob:.

I've been thinking, this may possibly be a prelude for Civ V. If put on Faceboom, EVERYONE will have access to a Civ game. It will spread like wild fire. And Firaxis is going to PERFECT this before releasing it, because it will have the chance to either recruit more fans or deter them. People who have never heard of Civ will get invites, which will open up the Civ market. And the more customers Firaces gets mean the more the demand for a new game (not to mention $).
Civ V may already be in its testing stages, but they may not announce it until the market explodes like I'm predicting.

One of the best posts in this thread .

I think, this project will be somehow interesting...but no idea, if the result will be good. If anybody can create a complex game on a social networking plattform, thant it's sure Firaxis. The only question is, if it's really playable and fun.
I hope, that it will be, but i don't expect it.

I love Civ 4: BTS, and hope Civilization 5 comes out for the PC, and if not, at least the PS3, cause I may never own an Xbox 360.

As long as it's better than Mafia wars then I'm in for sure.

Just joined on FB

1. OMG Sid Meyer.

2. I wanted to be the first to do civish game in browser. This means that I must pick up the pace in order to beat you all to it. :(

I look forward to being a contribution in the beta.
Thank you for sharing Civ with the world Mr. Meier, I appreciate it.

Looking forward to playing Civ5 on PC too. ;)

Awh what?!

Facebook seriously sucks though - Bebo is far superior! Dammit! Now I have to get a freaking face book account!

Sid + Facebook = Face book gets some more members and Sid gets more money... Sigh*

Bebo's horrible! I saw it once, because my friend saw that he could do one story line in a Facebook app, but he wanted two, saw it was on Bebo, and got a Bebo. The next day he deleted it because it sucked!

I think Sidy boy chose Facebook because on average,

The membership in Facebook is much older than the membership on bebo. However, one thing Sidy didn't take into account is that bebo has a lot (I mean a ton) of gaming teens who would eat up this new proposal like it was Mama's Sunday fried Chicken!! :)!

Hello Civ Fans!

I wanted to let you know we’ll soon be looking for beta testers to help us develop a unique new way to play Civilization. Ever since we finished Civilization® Revolution™ last year, I’ve been looking at ways of expanding the Civ gameplay experience to include solo, competitive and cooperative play to take advantage of the uniqueness of social networks. We’re calling this project Civilization® Network™ and the full game will be available next year on Facebook. Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world’s most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization. You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World. The game will offer everything you enjoy in Civ in a fully persistent environment - you can play as much as you like, whenever you like, and it’ll be free to play.

We’ll offer a closed beta of the game soon, so stay tuned for details on how you can sign-up to participate. The full game will launch in 2010. For more information about Civilization Network, including development updates and behind-the-scenes posts from me and the Firaxis team, join our Facebook fanpage here: www.facebook.com/civnetwork.

Thanks and Stay Civilized!

Sid Meier
Director of Creative Development
Firaxis Games

I can't belive Sid Miere is a user on this site! :) :) :)!!!

^He didn't post on the welcome forum yet :( Yes, I know that doesn't mean anything, but it's a tradition! Although my "Hey y'all :band:" post will have to be a lot bigger if/when he posts on that forum

I don't really have that much faith anymore after the train-wreck that was Civilization IV: Colonization. I was all looking forward to this and then found out how bad it actually was. Please after Civilization V, revisit Colonization and this time do a proper sequel please Mr Sid Meiers. I hate to sound ungrateful but what was released was not Colonization. It was just a cheap rip-off which annoyed a lot of people who had played the original. I reckon a proper sequel would be able to sell a lot of copies. Civilization IV: Colonization was just a scenario being sold as a standalone game.

I don't really have that much faith anymore after the train-wreck that was Civilization IV: Colonization. I was all looking forward to this and then found out how bad it actually was. Please after Civilization V, revisit Colonization and this time do a proper sequel please Mr Sid Meiers. I hate to sound ungrateful but what was released was not Colonization. It was just a cheap rip-off which annoyed a lot of people who had played the original. I reckon a proper sequel would be able to sell a lot of copies. Civilization IV: Colonization was just a scenario being sold as a standalone game.

It is true that Colonization should have been Colonization II, not Civ IV Colonization, but I think it was more of a mod than a scenario. It has too much stuff. What I want to see is the squeal to Sid Meier's Pirates! :thumbsup:

Currently lots of Facebook games out there such as Mafia Wars and Farmville don't have much gameplay and are repetitive, but lots people still play them. Imagine if you make a Facebook game that actually has tons of gameplay... :)

Have you tried those games? They suck. I'm not saying a civ facebook game will suck but... well what's the objective going to be? To just always be more advance than your opponents? How would you do that, seeing as eventually the whole tech tree will be researched right? It sounds like just a waste of time on facebook imo, which is fine if you're into that I guess. I'll wait for civ5.

Top Bottom