20 most important events of european history

And I agree that it's pretty absurd to just label the whole of "ancient Greek history" as a single "event". By that logic, I can list the most important events in European history like this:

(1) European history.

Well, it's difficult to compress 3000+ years of European history into 20 dot points.

CE is the standard scholarly form.

Since when did that become standard?

I think it depends on where you are and what you publish in.

For Ancient Greek influence, I was originally going to list the foundation of the Delian League as my first point (it was the point that let Athenian Democracy form into what we know it as). Then I thought about it and decided that Roman influence was just far more important than Greek. Greek influence came in two forms. The first was the Roman absorption of Greek culture, the second was the importation of Arab copies of Greek sources. While both were important, the second was far more important than the first (our incomplete understanding of Plato needed to get surpassed by Aristotle and better info about Plato). Then all of it got shot down with people like Galileo and then more modern philosophies that followed.

Since when did that become standard?

The last twenty or thirty years, I'd say. It's not the exclusive standard though, even now, but I think it is certainly the more common scholarly convention.

"Classical" does not mean the same thing as "ancient". Of the five topics you give here, only the first two could be considered "classical".

Which still would mean he was wrong.

And I do think that "classical period" of greek history does not equal "classical history"

And I agree that it's pretty absurd to just label the whole of "ancient Greek history" as a single "event". By that logic, I can list the most important events in European history like this:

(1) European history.

I did mention the most important sub-points, didn't I?

Most important as relating to what? The formation of some kind of European identity? What the poster thinks is relevant?

"Classical" does not mean the same thing as "ancient". Of the five topics you give here, only the first two could be considered "classical".

(1) European history.

That might cover a few of the events in European history....only a few though :mischief:

Most important as relating to what? The formation of some kind of European identity? What the poster thinks is relevant?

hm, do it both ways, that'd be more interesting. But yes, I was thinking about european identity.

hm, do it both ways, that'd be more interesting. But yes, I was thinking about european identity.

Which just makes the agricultural and industrial revoloutions all the more the two most significant "moments".

Shaping not only the livers of the people but the very landscape.

Top Bottom