What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed or participated?

I'd like to see Tenochtitlan before it was destroyed.

If I remember correctly, the Black sea was an interior sea untill something like 5,000 BC. It only joined the Mediterranean sea when the level of oceans have raised so much that it surpassed the range of hills between Greece and Turkey, thus creating the Bosporus strait and filling the Black sea. I'm sure it was a terrific event to witness.

Both ^^ would be awesome. As would ancient Egypt, Rome and China.

Numerous battles and the dinosaurs too! But of all those from history, I would probably choose Tenochtitlan, Cuzco or Tikal at their height.

EDIT: IIRC Macroscope was all about visting the past. Great book.

Berlin, early 1930s. Probably because I just read Christopher Isherwood's autobiography (Christopher and his Kind). Sounds like he had fun there.

i wouldve liked to have been at the beginning of this thread :)

lol jk

id probably pick the sermon on the mound

It's just impossible for me to pick just one event. I don't think I would have wanted to participate in much of history (although having my signature on the Declaration of Independance would be incredible), but I would have liked to witness much of it. Here's a short list that's not at all complete:
It's not in order of importance either. Just random.

The Library of Alexandria before it was burned
The building of the forbidden palace :king:
The voyages of Zheng He
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Lowering of the Hammer and Sickle :)D :D :D )
Tiananmen Square :)cry: )
London in the 1800's :king:
Make war alongside Simon Bolivia
The innauguration of Ronald Reagan :)D :D :D )
Paris under Napoleon :king:
The American Revolution

Ozbenno said:
Seeing dinosaurs would be cool wouldn't it?
Provided you weren't running for your life from carnivorous ones. Or at least being well armed with a similarly armed group of men.

------------------------

Constantinople at the time of Justinian and Belisarius.

Any cities on the Italian Peninsula at the height of the Roman Empire (preferrably Rome).

Jan III Sobieski's victory over the Ottomans at the Battle of Vienna.

The building of the Pyramids.

Perhaps study in the Library of Alexandria.

Invest thousands of dollars in a little known internet site (at the time) known as "Google". :goodjob:

Invest a similar amount in a newly formed company called Microsoft. :goodjob:

People I'd like to have met (not in chronological order):
-Jan III Sobieski
-Gaius Julius Caeser
-Alexander the Great
-George S. Patton Jr.
-Benjamin Franklin

These are the top ones, though there are many more.

I'd like to accompany the Ottoman Armies in the fall of Constantinople... And then, fast forward to meet Suleiman The Magnificant.

- The Battle of Narva, that way I can walk over to the Russian General and say "Hey, look over there..."

- The first time the Soviet National Anthem played... so beautiful. I don't care if you hate communism, you should atleast admit that the anthem itself is wonderful and holds the ideals that real communism holds.

- As the Russians near Berlin, in the room where Hitler is hiding... and just f*cking laughing.

Ill love to see the assasination of Frans Ferdinard.
The Storming of the Winter Palace
The Fall of Bastile
Destruction of Carthage
The First Sack of Constantinople
Changan During the Tang Dynasty
A Speech of Martin Luther
Elizabeths Speech
The Rose Revoloution
The Mongol Hordes ridding in action
Salah-Adin's Siege of Jerusalem
The Cornation of Kang Xi, Elizabeth and a Pope
John Paul II when he prayed at the mosque
Battle of the Nile
A Shakesperean play
The 1908 San Fransico Earthquake
The list goes on....

Which Battle and why look over there?

The Battle of Narva was a huge Russian defeat in the Great Northern War...

The Russians outnumbered a Swedish force 4-to-1 and still managed too lose when King Charles of the Swedish hit them with a surprise.

Me: Hey, look over there (points...)

General: What do you want, I dont have time for... Ah Sh*t.

Well it aint their fault. There was a huge blizzard and the Swedes manage to get a suprise attack bcause snow was blowing into the eyes of the Russians. Even if you said look over there they could not see a . .. .. .. .. Also, Russian was still in civ terms heavily out tech by Sweden

I would like to watch:
A caveman discover fire.:)
Alexandria, circa 1 AD
General Howe's surrender
Saddam Hussein being captured
Saddam Hussein being hanged
Napoleon watching a ship slowly fade into the horizon ... From St. Helena

I'd like to see Tenochtitlan before it was destroyed.

Me too. The irony is that by going there, you most likely destroy it by accidentally spreading disease.

Top Bottom