Resource icon

[G&K] Social Policy: Honor (G&K)

Lordleoz

Prince
Lordleoz submitted a new resource:

Social Policy: Honor - Social Policy: Honor

Honor
I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.

Introduction

The Honor tree is one of the three social policy trees available from the Ancient Era. Each of the Ancient era policy trees rewards investments into different aspects of the early game: Tradition rewards small empires that focus on infrastructure, Liberty rewards empires that focus on expansion and claiming land and Honor...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the culture bonus from Military Caste, you said:

It stacks extremely well with Monuments, French Ancien Regime and the Liberty tree opening policy.

I'm curious what you mean by "stacks extremely well." With Monuments and the Liberty opener, it adds to them just like 2 always adds to 1. If anything, though, this makes it less attractive, not more. For example, with no monuments or other policies, Military Caste would take a 4-city civ from 1 culture to 9 culture, an increase of 800%. If you've already got monuments and Liberty, though, the increase is from 9 to 17, an increase of 89%--still a lot, but much smaller than 800%.

It does stack well with Ancien Regime, but "extremely" well? It stacks just as well as every other culture generator.
The same logic applies to Ancien Regime.

I am reading into this, but perhaps he's referring to culture generated in puppets, where only getting them to build the monument is left up to the governor, while the other bonuses listed are always there.

That's definitely a point in favor of Military Caste (as well as Liberty and Ancien Regime), but has nothing to do with stacking...

At the end, about well-suited Civs - I think you should clarify that the Aztec UA works on every military unit, while the Honor starter only stacks with barbarians.

Thanks for pointing out and I fixed the two things.

Indeed, Military Caste has nothing to do with stacking. I just copied that paragraph from the original article.

Wouldn't any Civ that likes to farm Barbs be eligible for benefiting from the base Honor ability? I'm thinking about the Celts and their Pictish Warrior ability to farm faith from kills. Farming barbs for kills early on could be used to fuel early Holy Warriors to gather enough faith to buy enough units for rampaging across the map.

My thoughts about Honor is that is necessary for any type of civ. The major issue is the difficulty is Diety (which I play every time) you need to have the honor branch completed to even have a chance to survive.

My thoughts about Honor is that is necessary for any type of civ. The major issue is the difficulty is Diety (which I play every time) you need to have the honor branch completed to even have a chance to survive.

Nope, thats completely wrong. In most cases you want to completely avoid Honor. And even if you want to take Honor its the best to pick up Tradition or Liberty first for a few policies. Pick only if going for military conquest.

Yes, I agree other policies are important, however, in the Diety level, you always have to have a strong military. Have you ever won on a Large or Huge Map on Diety via culture?

it is impossible. The only way is to this at all is to conquer more than half of the civs. The main reason is the other civs will exponentially have better tech and other bonuses you will never win a space race, culture or diplomatic victory.

That is why honor is the first branch you need.

Well what I thought here is that there are better picks usually, mostly Tradition and Liberty. In most maps you can do perfectly fine without Honor. I think most people play standard and smaller maps.

If you are going for large maps, and maybe slower speed, it would be logical to mix Liberty with Honor. Going honor directly is not the best option I believe - unless maybe faced with very early war and raging barbs.

By going Honor first you get barb bonus - can be useful. 15% bonus to melee units and production of melee units and free Great general. - well you should not really use melee units, range units are way better. Early GG is good but one will be spawned soon enough. Bonus XP - nice but you can live without it. Etc.

Looks reasonable if you need to fight very early - which you shouldn't on larger maps. Its still ok, but i would prefer Liberty opening with some Honor policies when going to war. Honor in peace is a waste for the most part.

Top Bottom