Resource icon

[G&K] Civilization Guide: Rome (G&K)

Just rage-quitted a game. Everyone hated me except for Sweden and the Ottomans (who were far away from me and Sweden the second most powerful). What happened was that Persia hated my guts the most and sought any opportunity to boycot me. They managed to make 10 CS their allies and single-handedly got the motions of 'ban luxury: truffles' and 'ban luxury: spices' pulled through, two of which only my civ had and in abundance. He was the only one to vote 'yay!', but as the host and with 10 CS it was all he needed. His gold income must be through the roof, as I'm making nearly 200 per turn in the early industrial era (not sure whether that's good) and still haven't got enough to get so many CS to like me.
Sadly, because I was struggling with my happiness as a wide empire, I couldn't just bury him and his lame empire (raze some of his commerce cities) without some coordination (and my riflemen may be superior to his musketmen, I'm still using trebuchets as artillery while he has cannons). His CS allies would also sack my trade routes to the Dutch (who hate warmongers) and the Shoshone (whose capital I just took because they had built the Notre Dame and who for reason all too obvious also hate my guts). ;)

Oh yeah, because Persia was going to be my arch-enemy since early on I've made sure to convert all of his cities to Roman Catholicism over their Zoroastrianism, pissing them off immensely (funny as hell and I haven't seen him making inquisitors yet neither). ;)
I've also got the Ottomans and Sweden to sign a defense pact, so that if Persia DoWs me, he's also at war with his neighbors (as he already tried to take my cities, and got his teeth broken on my impenetrable defense line and we just signed a peace treaty to mobilize our armies)

Well, I'm very new to Civ 5 (Steam Summer Sale ftw!) and still playing on King. I do think it's all still easy enough, so I'm confident I'll reach Emperor or Immortal soon enough. What's still new to me are some mechanics, hence I play more half-assed where I otherwise could play well-coordinated. I'm still in an experimental phase. For instance, I didn't know before reaching Education that Jungle tiles are good for research. Basic knowledge of course, but I want to know the Early Game well before learning the Mid Game, before learning the Late Game.

This (reckless) test run I've learned enough to win a King game easily, I'm confident. Soon Emperor level.

:goodjob: for this guide, just tried it out for my first time at king difficulty and i had to rage quit because i rushed too intense into iron. I had this settler that I kept in rome during 20 turns in order to securise iron. And i havn't made enough unit to keep the travel safe for my 2 worker that have been captured. What a difficult face to face with reality ! :lol:

Top Bottom