Resource icon

[BNW] Diplomacy: Interacting with Civs and Positive/Negative Diplomacy Modifiers (BNW)

Carlsguides

Chieftain
Last edited by a moderator:
Post for images.

Attachments

• discuss.jpg
    discuss.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 920
  • enemy.gif
    enemy.gif
    457.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • politics.gif
    politics.gif
    126.4 KB · Views: 952
  • relationships.gif
    relationships.gif
    128.6 KB · Views: 947
  • tradedeclarewar.jpg
    tradedeclarewar.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 777
  • warmongerpenalty.gif
    warmongerpenalty.gif
    180.7 KB · Views: 859
Some great info here. Thanks for posting.
Question about the penalty related to troops on the borders. Your table seems to say it's +15, but your warmonger text says "a big penalty that lasts the whole game." A penalty of +15 doesn't seem all that bad, though the fact that it's with every civ, whether you've met or not, is worth thinking about. But are we talking about the same thing? A civ approaches you and you have a choice of either declaring war or saying your troops are just passing through; you pick the latter and then attack that Civ a few turn later without provocation. That's the +15 action?
Also, how long do you have to keep your word not to invade to avoid this penalty. I know you eventually get a message saying you kept your word, but the unmodded diplomacy display doesn't show you this deal so you know how many turns are left.

I changed the phrasing of that line - +15 isn't too big a hit as you said, but it does affect every Civ. Yes, it's bad. Overall, the only reason to really do it is to get first attack, or they suspect what you're doing before you're ready. If you're going to warmonger heavily, you might not mind. Still I see reason to want to wait before stacking up penalties, like after you have conquered your first and have that land to boost your military and research.

I also reworded the line below that to, "You made a promise to move you troops from their borders, then broke it!" There is a +40 penalty with the Civ you lied to, but it wasn't obvious in that phrasing. You could leave your troops there of course, so long as you don't attack.

I think it'd be 30 turns for the promise. I believe most of the deals you make follow this standard, but I am not 100% sure. I'll try to document the turn when it happens to me next, so that I can clarify it. Thankfully, one of my next articles is going to be Warmongering, so I'm sure to get the opportunity. That is one I saved for last so that it would be as good as possible.

Hope this helps clarify it.

Edit: So, I just did a test as I realized I had a a good opportunity. I made a promise, then waited 50 turns. The notification that I'd kept the promise never came. On declaring war after 53 turns, nothing happened regarding the promise. I suspect you can't attack for 30 turns after making the promise. Is there even supposed to be a notification for this? I know you don't get a 'good' modifier for it, as it's just avoiding a negative, but I know these come up for Settling and land-purchasing promises. Perhaps that's why there's no deal history for it..

This is a bug that has never been fixed. I buy land, they say don't, i say screw you. I buy another land. They say i broke promise and get diplomacy hit twice :(

Hey Carl,

In your warmongering guide, you said:
Know that the Warmonger Penalty is cut in half any time you have agreed to go to War against a Civ at another's request, or asked them to do this through the Diplomacy interface (Shall we declare war upon...)

I was wondering how long this 50% reduction lasts. I originally assumed it lasted until peace is signed, but after noticing how such war agreements bind the agressors for a certain number of turns (causes the "make peace" option to be greyed-out), I wondered whether the reduction lasts only for that many turns. Or, to my horror, perhaps this 50% only counts for the declaration of war, and not for any cities captured.

Just want to put in a quick word, your guides have made me appreciate Civ5 much more. For a long time I thought it was cr*p compared to Civ4, until i was able to see it in a new light. Thanks.

Top Bottom