Resource icon

[G&K] Understanding the Zone Of Control (vanilla)

I don't get why my warrior was able to move like shown in this picture:

Attachments

• zoc.jpg
    zoc.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,663
I didn't even know there WAS a ZOC! This game is much more complex than I thought... :love:

I noticed the Danish unit disembarking exploit before, and never knew exactly what was going on. After reading this and seeing that the unit actually has double it's maximum MPs, I can see that the problem is mathematical: ZOC uses up the unit's LISTED LIMIT of MPs, not its REMAINING MPs. The programmer didn't count on units being able to have a higher number of MPs than their listed limit, and because of this, made ZOC consume the normal limit's worth of MPs, which doesn't stop a unit that has higher than 100% of its MP limit.

In this case, the Danish Rifleman, with 4/2 MPs, loses 2MP for ZOC and not the 4MP. Had they counted on a unit being able to have greater than its maximum, they could have simply programmed ZOC to use up all actual remaining MPs (left-hand value of MPs) rather than the unit's normal limit (right-hand value). Obviously, they just never counted on this occurrence, and because Denmark was in a DLC, I think that maybe they didn't test the ZOC rules with regard to the UA they programmed for Denmark.

Very interesting.

Bonjour,

I reread the article to check if it is still valid for G&K.
As the ZOC rule did not change, I changed only the following details in order for the article to be valid for G&K, too:

- Fig. 5: changed caravel to Battleship (caravels have only 4MP in G&K !)

- Trying to protect embarked units

If you're playing with the Gods & Kings expansion of Civ V it is not a real issue to protect embarked units because it is possible to stack them with naval military units. It's much more of a challenge to protect embarked units without this expansion, for the following reasons:

You may correct my english...

I noticed something recently that I never noticed before.

Units that can move after attacking may kill an enemy unit within ZOC of another enemy unit and still have movement left. This is documented in example 11b in the OP.

However, if you kill enemy unit within ZOC of an enemy city you lose all movement instantly, even if the city is empty. Bug or intended?

yes, indeed, I tested it rapidly with BNW.
There are some curious "game features" like that, for ex. a city containing an archer unit can fire with two archers the turn you just finish to build a new archer unit in it ! (the game then moves automatically the stacked unit at the beginning of next turn)

Ofc me as a "Artillery Officer" already knew this, but this was an incredible article explaining the strategic view in fighting wars.

Top Bottom