Resource icon

[vanilla] Civ5 Acronyms and Terms (vanilla)

I have just come across "GM" which now seems to mean both Great Merchant and Great Musician. I think that it's very annoying to having to get it out of context every time. Would it be not better to agree on "GMu" for the Great Musician, and keep GM for the merchant since the "GMu" is just a culture sub-category of great artists.

Similar to how GPr is often used for Great Prophet, when it might be confused with a generic GP (Great Person). Or GAdm vs. GA (Great Artist).

What does slingshot mean?
slingshot = beelining a specific technology, while simultaneously working towards scoring a free technology (e.g. completing the Great Library.) The slingshot, if it works, allows you can claim a technology which is far ahead of everyone else. For example, beelining Optics, and using the Great Library to slingshot you to Astronomy.

The slingshot is useful if you want to open an social policy tree which requires you be in an advanced era. Or, the slingshot can be useful to grab an advantageous technology. For example, beelining Mathematics, so that the Great Library will allow you to grab Currency.

I've seen the abbreviation PC being used here and there. I'm not sure but I think it could mean Petra Capital? Does anyone know what it means?

e.g "really strong poland with PC, was a good game"

Lately, when I'm thinking of saying a long-winded piece, I go to abbreviate :
Trade Routes =TR's,
Trading Units = TU's (caravans, cargo ships),

Religious People = RP;
G Prophet =GPro,
Missionary = MSSY,
Inquisitor = IQ;
and,
Religious Buildings = RBLDG's (pagodas, mosques, cathedrals, temples, shrines, (and the wife's favorite; Baskin-Robbins !)

I noticed that great lighthouse abbreviation has changed. Great lighthouse used to be tgl but now I see that it's abbreviated glh for great lighthouse instead of the great lighthouse.

Top Bottom