ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

Got it.

Looks like progress is being made.

I'm not sure why we're worrying about Buddhist cities, defying the AP causes some unhappiness but a couple of whips later that's not such an issue.

I'd use GG as a medic but then I think every stack should have a decent medic.

cant dl the save right now (its temporarily unavailable) but I wonder if Old Sarai could throw in the Forbidden Palace. it looks like it'll take awhile but might be a good central location.

good turns, rolo

edit:
after we eliminate the mongol (or even during the mop up down there) we should aim for the portugese and the viking capitals as our next objectives, i think. then, longer term, wheeling around and aiming for seoul.

thoughts??

also, maybe send a unit or two northward to bleed off any barbs from up there towards them rather then towards our city.

We won't wipe the Mongol with the southern push. We see a city further west.

However, I still vote swinging north toward Portugal / Vikings. We should be able to swing north along a line and not stretch the front much. We also make want to grab the barb lake city at the east map edge at some point. Great choke point, and at least adds whales.

The mongols have atleast 2 more cities besides the ones in the south ( most likely atleast 3 ). But LK has a point, going Braga->Nidaros->Lisbon is the best path for us, since the barb Seoul blocks our western flank from AI interference if you do so, leaing us with only Old Sarai as front city in that area. That also allow our stack to be reinforced without many issues, a thing that is quite nice in AW

I'm not sure why we're worrying about Buddhist cities, defying the AP causes some unhappiness but a couple of whips later that's not such an issue.

You can't defy an AP diplomatic victory vote. Because of the shared military struggle bonuses, it is conceivable that an AI could win an AP victory. Tech trading is off I assume, so less likely but still possible.

We also make want to grab the barb lake city at the east map edge at some point. Great choke point, and at least adds whales.
yes, i was going to post about forming a small conquering party but wondered if it was worth it just now to divert the units.

But LK has a point, going Braga->Nidaros->Lisbon is the best path for us, since the barb Seoul blocks our western flank from AI interference if you do so, leaing us with only Old Sarai as front city in that area. That also allow our stack to be reinforced without many issues, a thing that is quite nice in AW
i was actually thinking of a simulaneous push...one army first heading to lisbon then northward, and the remnants of the mongolian expeditionary army being diverted and reinforced, and heading Braga>Nidaros.

in my mind, if we did build a small barb raiding army, it could concievably link with our portugal army when it reaches the top of those cities north of lisbon.

the only thing i'm worried about is if the attacks aren't timed well, we might open up too large a front for the ragnar to attack so if we do braga first adn then head for the two capitals, my theory is that ragnar will then be worried about nidaros before heading towards our other cities.

You can't defy an AP diplomatic victory vote. Because of the shared military struggle bonuses, it is conceivable that an AI could win an AP victory. Tech trading is off I assume, so less likely but still possible.
Even without TT, there is the shared war modifier ...

Played 11 turns to bring us up to 1700ad.

Defeated 3 stacks at Old Sarai, no losses.

Razed mongol cities down south and built a new city. Lost a treb.

Defeated Alex stack (18 units, inc pikes/trebs) at Coimbra, lost a cat.

Popped GE at low odds, part bulbed steel. Steel finishes next turn.

Despite this we're not really advanced:

Next stack approaches Old Sarai.

Our main stack 3 south of Braga.

Got a few trebs in Coimbra, more heading in that direction.

nice turns, pigs ~ way to tkae the fight to the mongol barbarian ;)

I think the time has come, though, to really start eliminating our enemies to the north. I thikn we should raze braga, and take the time to create two conquering armies to cut through both portugal and scandanavia. One can head north from Lisbon to Lagos>Faro, and larger one to go to Nidaros and then much about there with the four other viking cities scattered close at hand. we could possible leave seoul alone for a little while, letting Jelling take the hit of any oncoming armies and then swing westward through greek lands...

pholkhero >> on deck
ozbenno
LKendter
rolo
pigswill >> just played
mystyfly >> up now

Razed Mongol cities down south and built a new city.
I thought we would only raze the Mongol capitol. Looking closer the fish cities isn't the best, but I am worried about team discussion on raze/ keep. At this point I really don't want to raze much. We need to get more productive cities soon.

Glad to see Taoism in Smolensk. I would like more culture there ASAP. I want that incense in the third ring. We need more happy help, and that is a fresh happy source. Dyes are coming on-line in 13 turns. :)

Minor MM request - pull that second unit from Smolensk to Turfan. I would like to put that musket to work in Old Sarai.

I wish we had kept the GE. I would have preferred to find a good wonder to rush.

Strategically, I think the next steps are easy - Braga, and Nidaros. Both push the front forward without extending it. We can then push up the next two Viking cities. That again won't extend the front. Lisbon will extend the front when we push on it, but I want that nice city out of AI hands.
We won't be picking up any wonders anytime soon. The Inca have almost all of them.

I would like to get a spy moving up toward Faro (Portugal). It looks like we may have another good choke point there, and can take 3 cities easily from Portugal without expanding the front.

Is it time to go to the top of the tech tree? I'm thinking Aesthetics, Drama (2 happy with dyes), and Literature (heroic epic).
I see no short-term military tech to pursue.
I don't know if we can win the liberalism race. Our natural tech is to low.

Unlike Rolo, I want to keep Braga. It looks like part of a good front line.

I wish we had kept the GE for a wonder....we won't be picking up any wonders anytime soon.

Do I spot a contradiction?

My impression is that the team wanted us to avoid having any buddhist cities to prevent AP diplo victory.

Top of the tree is nice, another option is mono>theo as we have spread Taosim everywhere and have no religious civics.

I know the Mongol capital was Buddhist.

I thought the fish city above it that was razed was clean.

I don't think portugese lands will extend the front all the much ~ theoretically, yes, but with us pushing north into portugese lands, we will have the lakes on either side of their cities, plus the small mt chain to the north. then, if we're able to time it right, we'll be in viking lands and THAT area will face the brunt of the AI attacks.

I vote for razing braga (it's got no food and only the copper there, and head into viking lands, following the blue lines. the blue circle would be where we stack up the defenders we can pull from st pete, coimbra and the like that are no longer front-line cities, then Blue Army Group can swing back and take out the rest of the cities there.

i do agree taht we need to send a spy or two up north to see what else is up there.

i also think we should probably keep all the other cities up there, though.

I change my vote, and vote RAZE Braga. As soon as we get the 2nd city in the above picture we have a better choke point.

mystyfly has plenty of talk for this set. ;)

Cities with no food or strategic resource we need should definitely be razed, burn it down.

Except if there are a natural choke point city.

Got it.

Savegame looks good. Not sure about bulbing with a GE. The Taj is still open and nat. is on our techpath so that probably would be the best option imo. No big deal though. I probably wouldn't have razed all those mongol cities and resettled but it's no big deal. Less cities = we keep our science rate alive a little longer.

That is one reason for torching braga. Another is that it has virtually zero food and only one good tile which costs 2F.

I don't see what you guys have against spies. We have exactly one spy warning us, and this guy sits on an unroaded hill, giving us max. 1 turn sooner intel on incoming attacks. No road = no mobility (like going a few tiles out and back next turn). OTOH we have a spy exploring the mongol desert, lol, we don't need that map, especially since we won't be going there in the next, say, 50 turns. We have one more spy, too deep into incan territory to be of any use. We need them just ourside of visibility range of our cities and expand it. Otherwise we don't see attacks coming early and don't have more time to react to them. Especially unconfortable is the lack of info on our next target cities up north. It would be good to know how many of what unit we need to send where in order to capture many cities quickly.

With old sarai as great buffer it's hightime we rampage up north to get rid of joao and rags.

Techwise, I agree with backfilling up to lit. Why we would want to backfill theo I don't understand. We don't have the beakers to spare and it's quite expensive considering that it doesn't offer us anything. I'd rather tech towards MT or rifling afterwards. The last tech that would be a big boost to us (after cossacks) is communism with SP.

Top Bottom