ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

Mr pholk, in here and in Phily it is still wednesday :p I'll play htis tonight ( now I need to take care of my pet bunnies, birds and dogs and to get some groceries :p )

Ok, this was not a particularly fun or interesting set :( In fact I only took 3 screenies :p

Given that there wasn't a consensus about the city site for settler #1, I decided to gamble and gone to B :
Spoiler :

That image is from the end of the set and there are some stuff that shouldn't be there :devil: More on that below.

Anyway, the story of the set was pretty much making a archer after the settler, taking the settler to spot B, exploring a bit, making the corn farm and a phant camp, fighting some barb animals ( no proper barbs so far ) and popping huts :
Spoiler :

:cheers:

End of set F1 screeen:
Spoiler :

I ended the set when we got Pottery ( 10 turns ). I queued Maths just for kicks, but this needs obviously some discussion. Same for the queued libraries ( the cap one has no investement and the B spot one has one hammer IIRC ) ... units and barracks are most likely better builds ( and maybe whip a worker in cap when it reaches size 6 ? ). The archer made in cap in this set is going to position between cap and B.

Only foreign mention : both João and Rags adopted slavery during the set.

My vote is horse city next. Only thing we need to agree on is next location.

I think another worker before settler. We need to start building roads between our cities.

Horse city good as a nice part of the road network will overlap with copper city.

I reckon the next thing we need is a half dozen archers to spawnbust.

I really don't see the need for horses if we've got axes.

Its certainly worth remembering that prince level AI don't get major bonus against barbs so that's going to delay their expansion so it may be a while before we have AI stacks to worry about.

Not sure we need library yet in an AW raging barbs game. More workers and a barracks and more archers until we can hook up the copper (a very long road).

Highlands is a huge map, the 2 movement units are going to win this game, so getting horses now would be good for exploring and pillaging our friends to the north, before they come doing the same to us. I still think we need to settle the horses.

Why are we building a library while still at 1 worker?? Also, we should have the slider @ 0% until its done. With the archer on the tile where he is in 4t (go-to), the whole road is fogbusted even if there still could be barb interference of course. IMO switch moscov to worker and 2popwhip it, then start on the library.

Now we even have 3 useless units up there, nice :p Seriously, what are they doing there, what exactly is their purpose? They should fogbust our area not the AI's.

I don't see a good site between st. pete and moscov, I would still suggest settling between rice and pigs, in the northeast. Definitely not settle a city without food resources(!).

As to techs, I'm not sure. There are some short-to-midterm goals but we don't really need any of those. There's lit, but we don't have the hammers for those (national) wonders, or marble. There's calendar but we don't really have the resources beside those bananas. There's currency but we have no TRs and we won't have useful ones anyway. IMO we should go for CoL directly, with faraway cities, CHs are lifesavers and we may found confucianism. We really need a religion for :) and culture. And we're en route to CS.

good turns ~ and rolo said the library was just put there as a place holder.

i'm for a couple of archers, and then a settler for horses. I think the dual purpose of having horses and securing the road to St pete is worth settling there next. and now that we have B founded, I wonder if A1 might be a better site for the horse city. no food resource but some FPs for early growth.

i like Maths next w/CoL and Constr being the next places to go i think. also, we need culture in St Pete asap, too, or the copper's worthless.

pholkhero
ozbenno
LKendter
rolo >> just played
pigswill >> UP NOW
mystyfly >> on deck

I don't see how horse city helps route network, its too far off. If anything, a city NEE of horses would help. I don't see the use of horses though. Still, settling without food resource this early is not good.

Why maths now? THAT was a placeholder. We aren't going to chop anytime soon.

Iron Working might be better than Maths now if we're not going to chop. Don't need CoL until we have more cities either and we can ignore the peaceful religious/cultured techs for now.

Elephants will be a great offensive unit for us but we need HBR and Construction for them, so may as well have horses hooked up for HAs as well. :mischief:

If food decides the next city - I vote "C" and learn fishing. The boat can never pillaged as long as no AI settles on the lake. Plus it can take the Oasis from Moscow.

Moscow has plenty of FP to cottage and food isn't and issue in Moscow.

If we connect copper city via "C", then "C" will cover a portion of the route.

I don't want "D" or "E" next, as we already have one city to isolated. I don't want a second.

Site C is fine by me. It doesn't help with the trade route, we need more routes even but it'll be easier to defend.

Techwise mysticism for monument in St Pete to access copper then IW.

Once we know where iron is we'll almost certainly redraw the dotmap.

Buildwise worker, archers, maybe granary in Berlin to facilitate whipping settlers later.

Berlin :huh: :lol:

Why tech IW now? We have metals, we don't plan to launch a major attack (with swords) yet, and we have no jungle to clear. That tech is a waste of beakers right now.

I agree - we don't need IW. We are in expansion phase and jungle free. We don't have enough production to build swords right now.

Myst > Maths > Constr seems good to me.

C might be good with some early-game production with the grass hills, fish and such.

i agree on whipping a worker, but instead of the library for now, i think we should build some more archers while we work back up to pop6, and whip out another settler.

And swords are more of a attacking unit ... a thing that we are not in condition to do for quite a while.

To be honest, my first gut feeling was to tech myst. We need fast border pops now ( to get the copper )

And yes, the libs are placeholders mainly. I strongly advice to put archers or barracks out.

Library has zero use in "B" with no cottages. I agree myst and monument there.

also, let's discuss long-term strategy here.

the consensus (i think) is for a cats/phants army backed by axes/archers. i think as we need HBR for ele's, ozzie's right in saying we might as well settle those horses soon ~ i'm growing to love flankingII HAs.

personally, the morei think about it, the less i like settling for the fish and wasting turns on the tech. i actually really like G-blue that i redrew so that we have food, can lay down cottages for teching/expanding,and it is somewhat isolated from the other ai so we won't have to worry *too* much right now.

personally, i'm for a little REXing (w/enough archers, of course) and settling 3 or 4 cities rather quickly, then going on the offensive w/our army.

Top Bottom