Resource icon

[vanilla] Civilization Guide: DLC Inca (vanilla)

I see. Also, the Inca seem to be very unpredictable diplomatically, has anyone else noticed that?

They've been consistent in my games, though I'm rarely close to them.

They usually go for a peacefull mediumsized trade empire and mind their own business.

When I'm not playing the Inca, I expect them to go for a peaceful builder approach. But last night for some reason I saw them in major warmonger mode and, given the weakness of an AI compared to a human, even taking decent advantage of their UA.

Cuzco was on the coast at the west end of a nice hill-and-mountain region with my French at the other end, and for some reason they didn't put any cities deeper into those hills early on. Washington was gobbling up the flatlands north of them and I had staked out some of the hills they likely wanted for themselves, so they cranked out some troops and started fighting.

It's nice to see that sort of adaptation; since I only recently started playing lots on Terra instead of Continents, I haven't had much exposure to how the AIs work in the early game when pressured by each other.

Pachacuti is kind of touchy, he's willing to denounce all warmongers, hates people competing city-state colonies, and also a leader I've seen most often in the 'Afraid' state.
He's done a few backstabs to me too.
I can trust Wu Zetian, Gandhi, Kamehameha, Sejong etc. well but not old Pachy!

He's pretty irrational and competitive but not in such aggressive way as, say, England and doesn't have such a strong army usually.

His slingers and upgraded slingers are real guerrilla fighters, retreating back to jungle when I try to chase them..

This is a nice starting point for a guide, however it seems like it's still a work in progress. It only mentions the very basics of the Inca civilization, yet doesn't elaborate on how to use these advantages properly. Being so flexible I feel that any Inca guide should include optimal game play plans, since so many are viable. For example: you can go with the standard 4 city tradition opener into a rush towards Rationalism without huge investment in culture to go for a science victory while abusing observatories. Another example: you can warmonger, researching archery first and going for a slinger rush against a neighbor, replacing the famous archer rush, than go wide and use the now experienced slingers and their upgrades to defend all your cities or continue warmongering. The above examples show how to use the Inca's 2 unique advantages(UU and UI) for 2 completely different strategies and show why these advantages are powerful enough to use said strategies rather than something else.

If you want to go deeper you can compare the above strategies with other civilizations who typically use them and show why Inca is still competitive(or even better) than the other civilizations. For example you can compare the typical science victory choices: Babylon and Korea, and show how Inca can match up with them. Obviously it depends on the map, but you can compare the lack of GS for Inca compared to Babylon and Korea to the improved production and the availability of observatories(both thanks to being in hilly areas). You can also expand the guide towards G&K since almost everybody uses the expansion these days. G&K changes the Slinger's upgrade route from merging into Riflemen to going into Gatling Gun and Machine Gun, which makes the Slinger's retreat promotion even better if you can keep them alive until late game. Also the availability of religion allows Inca, as well as all other civilizations, to enhance their strategies even further.

I found Inca on highlands maps very easy to play; probably OP. They seem to come back to earth on other maps.

Just wanted to say that since the G&K expansion the Terrace Farms also gains the Food bonuses from Civil service and Fertilization, making them extremely more powerful since they now have maximum Food yield of 8 (I think).

Just wanted to say that since the G&K expansion the Terrace Farms also gains the Food bonuses from Civil service and Fertilization, making them extremely more powerful since they now have maximum Food yield of 8 (I think).
9:c5food: for desert hill with Petra. :)

Top Bottom