Resource icon

[Vanilla] Amphibious Invasions (vanilla)

SemperFi2382

Mitten Marauder
SemperFi2382 submitted a new resource:

Amphibious Invasions - Amphibious Invasions

Amphibious Invasions
From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli.

Introduction

Whether it is Troy, Normandy, or the Pacific Campaign that is the first thing that comes to your mind, Amphibious Invasions have occurred throughout history. Now Amphibious Invasions apply to more than just an island hopping campaign, or a massive beach landing. These kinds of assaults apply to crossing rivers or small...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see at least two facts that I have experienced to be false in this article.

1) There is a naval ZOC produced by combat ships. Embarked units or combat ships that move directly between hexes adjacent to hostile combat ships definitely use up all their remaining MP.

2) Archery and siege units cannot target embarked units. Only city ranged attacks and air units can. Many times either I or an AI have saved a unit caught straggling near enemy forces at the start of a war by fleeing to the ocean - at least until a warship showed up.

1) There is a naval ZOC produced by combat ships. Embarked units or combat ships that move directly between hexes adjacent to hostile combat ships definitely use up all their remaining MP.

2) Archery and siege units cannot target embarked units. Only city ranged attacks and air units can. Many times either I or an AI have saved a unit caught straggling near enemy forces at the start of a war by fleeing to the ocean - at least until a warship showed up.

Ranged units give 4 damage to all embarked units (except if the embarked units belong to Songhai, in which case it uses their combat strengths). Not sure about #1.

Ranged units give 4 damage to all embarked units (except if the embarked units belong to Songhai, in which case it uses their combat strengths). Not sure about #1.

for point #2 - this is exactly true. Use the ranged attack option rather than a right-click and you'll be attacking embarked units.

for point #1 - I'll have to double check, but last I used naval units, there was no zone of control.

I rechecked #2, and you're right - it's apparently a UI problem with right-clicking, probably related to the "run-over" mechanics for naval attacks on embarked units. My longbowmen were able to plunk Askia's embarked units even with a right-click.

were can i find those circle emblems youhave in your thread?
i really want to use them for a guide i am writing.
already thanks for the time!

For an example, flight is the following:
[img]http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/war_academy/civ5/techs/big/flight.png[/img]

All the images are under http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/war_academy/civ5/ followed by the appropriate ending. :)

for point #2 - this is exactly true. Use the ranged attack option rather than a right-click and you'll be attacking embarked units.

for point #1 - I'll have to double check, but last I used naval units, there was no zone of control.

Haha, I always manually target with my ranged attack, and I can also verify that it is entirely possible and, as stated, you do a standard 4 dmg with each shot (just like attack a non-combat unit such as a worker on land). Naval units have a ZOC, but it is slightly different from earlier civ versions.

ZOC is a bit more tricky. In the past civ iterations with ZOC, you were simply blocked from moving from one tile adjacent to an enemy to another tile that was also adjacent to an enemy. Now, you can move when adjacent to an enemy combat vessel into another tile that is also adjacent to an enemy, but if that new tile is adjacent to the same enemy ship then that movement consumes the rest of your movement points. However, if you are adjacent to enemy ship "A" and you move away from "A" to a tile that is adjacent to enemy ship "B" but not adjacent to "A", you do not lose any movement points.

You see? I don't have any trouble in amphibious invasion, I just wipe out the enemy's navy and send some amphibious promoted units as first wave

this article was easily readable and concise. Try linking in other threads (ZOC would be a good one) and this would be a great improvement (kinda like the Wikipedia). I would like also to thank all contributors to the war academy. For a novice this is a wonderful boon! In addition, the similar format makes these very usable:goodjob:

this article was easily readable and concise. Try linking in other threads (ZOC would be a good one) and this would be a great improvement (kinda like the Wikipedia). I would like also to thank all contributors to the war academy. For a novice this is a wonderful boon! In addition, the similar format makes these very usable:goodjob:

Thanks for the feedback! :goodjob:

As suggested, I added in some links and cleaned up some random typos.

To clear up the ZOC issue regarding naval units, any units moving adjacent to an enemy naval unit (whether embarked or legit naval unit) loses all their MPs.

To clarify more, this includes army units on land moving adjacent to an enemy coastal navy unit. It DOESNT include a coastal navy unit moving past an enemy coastal army unit.

When it comes to ZOC, naval units have superior priority regarding army units whether embarked or not. So, naval units can't be stopped by enemy army units, ever. That being said, naval units can stop enemy army units always (embarked or on land), but naval units can be stopped by other enemy naval units.

Late game, I find that it great strategy for taking coastal cities or even just clearing up your landing area is this:

Build 1-3 carriers, (I did 3 carriers, 2 with bombers, 1 with fighters). Depending on how naval savy your target is, you may want to build 2 destroyers or so to defend the carriers and/or your embarked land troops.

Send out the carriers ahead of your embarked land units, and bomb any defensive units and the cities over and over until your main force gets there. Ideally, by the time your units get on an adjacent tile (works even better if it's along the coast), the city should be a OHKO to take.

Having paratroopers as your main ground force helps, as once you take 1 city, you can immediately get your troops near a city that's not as close to the shore.

For upgrades, go for mainly the ones that extend the mission ranges or healing even when taking an action for aircraft, for the boats, go for more moves per turn. Take instant heal if they are in the red zone, as you'll get upgrades every other turn or so this way.

As japan, I literally stormed nearly the entire continent this way with only 1 defeated unit over only 20-30 turns.

The article needs to be updated for Gods & Kings, methinks. In particular, naval "overrunning" is not automatic now and stacking is allowed for one naval and one embarked unit. Also, since many naval units are now "melee" and not ranged (and can assault cities directly), this needs to be addressed. Lastly, I would probably mention the overall deadliness of the city garrison attack against embarked units. Expect losses.

I do like the general strategy information.

The article needs to be updated for Gods & Kings, methinks. In particular, naval "overrunning" is not automatic now and stacking is allowed for one naval and one embarked unit. Also, since many naval units are now "melee" and not ranged (and can assault cities directly), this needs to be addressed. Lastly, I would probably mention the overall deadliness of the city garrison attack against embarked units. Expect losses.

I do like the general strategy information.

I will update this article "soon". I've been busy with work and family things, but I have been working on a draft that I plan to use reflecting the new naval mechanics.

More importantly, embarked and Naval stacking
For now you can using 2 sea tiles bordering city commence 4 attacks just from those tiles, and land could not allow that.
Means Danmark could:
Land Siege weapons and fire,
Ranged Navy attack
Land 2 Melees and attack
Melee Ships attack
2 embarked amphibious melee units attack

It could be more effective than any land siege, because there is +++ movement.

For modern Ages the approach of Naval Melee + Amphibious Land Melee on same tile is one of best to commence Naval city sieges.

Do ranged attacks on a naval/embarked stack affect both units? Or just the naval one? I haven't gotten to a late game yet, but if the embarked are shielded, wouldn't an amphibious assault be super easy if you just bring, say, a battleship and a loaded carrier with a couple of embarked amphibious units stacked with them? Soften the city then take it with just one or two direct amphibious assaults. (Assume the opposing navy has already been dealt with.)

Top Bottom