[G&K] Civilization Guide: Rome (G&K)

Lordleoz

Prince
Lordleoz submitted a new resource:

Civilization Guide: Rome - Civilization Guide: Rome

Rome
Augustus Caesar​

Introduction

The Roman Empire was one of the most remarkable and long-lived political entity in the history of Western Civilization. Founded in Apennine Peninsula in 753 BC, the city of Rome quickly expanded and came to govern most of Italy. In 509 BC the...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent guide i never really thought of Rome as a good civ until i read this article.

Aw yeah I wanted this guide to be in.

Wouldn't the HG be particularly good in the city of Rome as well? Not to mention it unlocks with the same tech as Ballistas.

Hanging Gardens are good to be in *any* city. If Rome has sufficient production that you're not worried, there's no greater need for them than there is for any other Civ, I'd say.

When you meet Caesar in the game he says Hello, I am Augustus, leader of Rome and Pontificus maximus. In Latin this means High Priest.

Yeah like Bandobras Took said, HG is good to be in any city. It is indeed a valuable wonder but it is not special for Rome.

You can also tile share the Manufactory with other cities, increasing it's value by 25%.
I didn't know this. How does its value increase? Do you mean I get more :c5production: if I do that?
Excellent guide though. Thank you very much!

I didn't know this. How does its value increase? Do you mean I get more :c5production: if I do that?
Excellent guide though. Thank you very much!

Because of the Glory of Rome ability -- once Rome has used the Manufactory to build a building, switch the Manufactory to a nearby city so they can build the building at a discount. At least, I think that's what's meant.

Just played 2 or 3 starts as Rome. I'd like to add here that an alternative to the 'have a settler ready to pounce on the iron' strategy is to instead research iron early, like the author says, but then build up a gold reserve and trade for as much iron as you need, whenever you need it. Somebody out there is going to have some and you only need 2-3 pieces to get the ball rolling. Of course you will want to secure your own supply, but you wont be crippled if there is none in the entire area like can happen.

Because of the Glory of Rome ability -- once Rome has used the Manufactory to build a building, switch the Manufactory to a nearby city so they can build the building at a discount. At least, I think that's what's meant.
Oh. That makes much more sense. Thanks :D

Yep. Looks like I'd better make it clear in the article :)

Just played 2 or 3 starts as Rome. I'd like to add here that an alternative to the 'have a settler ready to pounce on the iron' strategy is to instead research iron early, like the author says, but then build up a gold reserve and trade for as much iron as you need, whenever you need it. Somebody out there is going to have some and you only need 2-3 pieces to get the ball rolling. Of course you will want to secure your own supply, but you wont be crippled if there is none in the entire area like can happen.

But one problem with trading iron is that AIs always have intense hatred towards warmongers so perhaps you could only borrow it for 30 turns. Then the AI would refuse to trade and you will probably get a combat penalty.

Edit: But, yeah, if the ready-to-be puppeted territory contains iron, trading it for 30 turns would be a good option.

But one problem with trading iron is that AIs always have intense hatred towards warmongers so perhaps you could only borrow it for 30 turns. Then the AI would refuse to trade with you and you will get a nasty combat penalty.

Yeah, something to watchout for, but doable. If you pick your targets then they all shouldnt hate you at once.

This leads to another concept, that you dont need to go so wide yourself. If you go wide AND take cites you will get hatred from number of cities and warmonger hate. Instead you should aim to take the capitals of your next door neighbors and fill in as needed. Of course, that is map dependant.

Really great article... I immediately gravitated towards Rome, because of the versatility of their UA and the really powerful, early-game 1-2 punch of Legion/Ballista which allows you to get an early foothold, and even their dependancy on iron is kind of fun - I've found myself expanding into ridiculous places just to score iron as quickly as possible.

Amazing guide! I was thinking of combining tradition policy tree with liberty since were dealing with improving the capital city which gives other cities 25%+ production of built buildings support on Rome. These two policies for Rome in my opinion would be a great tandem.

Amazing guide! I was thinking of combining tradition policy tree with liberty since were dealing with improving the capital city which gives other cities 25%+ production of built buildings support on Rome. These two policies for Rome in my opinion would be a great tandem.

That would be a little wasteful. Even if you just go full liberty Rome itself will be extremely powerful because of all the effort you put into its infrastructure. It's easy to hit a point where Rome will finish buildings much faster than you can learn new techs. You won't get nearly as much taking Tradition as your second tree as some of the others.

My favorite way to play Rome in BNW is to play on continents, or small continents, and use the legions and balistae to take control of the continent as soon as possible, mixing policies from liberty and honor. Then when you hit the Renaissance and discover the next continent you'll meet a bunch of new civs who know nothing about your warmongering past. Then you can use your massive empire to go for whatever victory type you want. So I prefer taking patronage if I want a diplomatic victory, or aesthetics if I want a cultural one.

Top Bottom