Lag on Conquests

For some reason when I run Civ III Conquests on my PC, the game seems to "lag" compared to Vanilla and PTW. In Vanilla and PTW the animations seem to go a lot smoother as well as the turns.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, perhaps that has something to do with the problem? I have an AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz and 4 GB of RAM, so I don't think it's my PC specs that are the issue.

I would really like to solve this problem as I enjoy Civ III and want to play mods for it, but the majority are for Conquests and it doesn't run smoothly.

I have the same problem. Conquests seems to "lag" when played, especially if there are more units on the map. I'm also running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, with Intel i3-350M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I recently downloaded Civ 3 Complete on Steam. I had it on CD beforehand and it ran fine, but this Steam version lags badly in any kind of scenario, even randomly generated worlds. It's not like a hang between turns, it's a delay in everything. Scrolling the screen, selecting units, moving, etc.

I've got a similar setup to you on my laptop.

I am running Windows 7 Professional, but in 32-bit on a Windows laptop with a bit less power than yours with no problems. It is running off of a disc. My main problem is the bottom bar keeps popping up when the cursors get near the bottom of the map, and that causes some odd screen reactions.

Guys, I am very, VERY sorry for bumping this topic, and I seriously can't believe what a complete idiot I am. What solves this is what also solves the Code 28/lsans font error. It seems that running the game with Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 causes massive lag on Conquests. I don't know why, but after fixing the game with the Code 28/lsans fix and removing Compatibility Mode it runs perfectly fine. Only now, it's a bit too late and the game seems to be on the decline with Civilization 5 out and all. Hopefully that indie version of Civilization 3 will grow just as popular as the original game was.

Guys, I am very, VERY sorry for bumping this topic, and I seriously can't believe what a complete idiot I am. What solves this is what also solves the Code 28/lsans font error. It seems that running the game with Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 causes massive lag on Conquests. I don't know why, but after fixing the game with the Code 28/lsans fix and removing Compatibility Mode it runs perfectly fine. Only now, it's a bit too late and the game seems to be on the decline with Civilization 5 out and all. Hopefully that indie version of Civilization 3 will grow just as popular as the original game was.

Same here, sorry for bumping this topic, but I can verify that what KevinLancaster said indeed works, just tried it out today! Thank you for courteously posting this solution to this thread!

Just to make it easier, here's the link to the solution for the Code 28/lsans font error: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224200

Top Bottom