Civ5 using DX11 Graphics: The way it's meant to be played!

Hmm for me it is exactly the opposite. I have an older NVidia 9800 GT 512MB with I5 750 CPU and it runs much smoother in DX10/11 client. Finishing a standard size game now, no problems with frame rate at all. I was trying DX9 client first and it was extremely annoying to watch it redrawing textures whenever you move your map.

I have an Athlon quad-core, 4 GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics driver. So we know where the weak link is. Here are my findings and questions:

1. The 4200 is a DX10 card, and DX10/11 is all I can play. The game crashes when loading DX9. Did I do something wrong in the setup?

2. The settings default to AA "off" in every game. I've played with it off and on 2x, but didn't notice a difference. Should I?

3. I have all other settings on high and... it looks shockingly good. The AA is okay, and everything has that nice soft look except for the clouds (little movement, hex edges visible) and rivers (solid blue line). I can see bird flying, fish jumping, whitecaps shifting slowly. Would the game look better on a lower setting, given my card?

4. Maybe OT, but on strategic view the scrolling is locked down precise, the way I want it. On 3D view I'm having a harder time controlling it - hitting the brakes, so to speak. Is this because I'm used to a trackpad and handicapped to boot? Or is there a system/settings answer?

5. I was playing on a huge map with max civs, by the way. Even in the early stages, there was a 20-second or so lag when the AI moved.

I have a ATI 4850 and my direct x version as per my dxdiag is DX11. Im sure the 4850 can only handle 10 and not 11.
So how do i know which version the game is running?

Just from the pictures posted. There is almost no difference besides the AA and reflections. Also, shadows are turned off or on low in the shots of DX9 for some reason, but they are definitely an option. Makes me wonder what other options were turned off or on low, like textures. The land in my game looks way better than the land posted in the DX9 shots here. Regardless, I think you really need higher quality/larger area textures for DX11 to really make a difference.
All settings (including shadows) were on "high" for both DX9 & DX11 versions. If you want a better perspective, then each of those pictures I posted was a hyperlink to a full-screen version.

The differences are much more apparent after you've been playing the game on DX11 mode with everything at max settings, and the try out DX9. The amount of loss in image quality that you see while playing the game is far more significant than what you can see in screenshots.

They say an ATI 48xx is recommended yet I can't play DX11 ?

Ok, I am a bit confused. How many modes are available in this game?
If I have a DX9 card, obviously I will only get a DX9 mode. But if I have a DX10 card, will I get a DX10 mode? Or is there just the DX11 mode, but with software handling the tessellations? Which in other words means that if I have a DX10 card (which I do) I should really be running the DX9 mode?

Ok, I am a bit confused. How many modes are available in this game?
If I have a DX9 card, obviously I will only get a DX9 mode. But if I have a DX10 card, will I get a DX10 mode? Or is there just the DX11 mode, but with software handling the tessellations? Which in other words means that if I have a DX10 card (which I do) I should really be running the DX9 mode?
Test it. For some people the DX9 mode runs better with a DX10 card, for some people the DX11 mode :crazyeye:

but would that card work with an asus p5ne sli mainboard? or is it too big .. i have about 500 watt power supply

I am disappointed. I was hoping not to have to buy a new graphics card until HD 68xx series came out. Should I wait - is DX9 good enough.

The rest of my system is great: Core i7, Win 7x64, 6 GB of RAM, 10,000rpm HDD

I don't know.....Someone asked how do you find out what dx version your particular video card is using and he didn't get a response. I have the same question.

I have a Nvidia 9800 GTX and I choose the 10/11 option max settings with the aliasing set at 8 and zero problems.

For those saying you can't choose the 10 option, you clearly can; in fact on my stream it says 10/11 (Recommended.)

Whether it actually does anything is a whole other issue...

Edit: Never mind, I did a dxdiag and it says I have DirectX Version: 11

I don't know.....Someone asked how do you find out what dx version your particular video card is using and he didn't get a response. I have the same question.

I have a Nvidia 9800 GTX and I choose the 10/11 option max settings with the aliasing set at 8 and zero problems.

For those saying you can't choose the 10 option, you clearly can; in fact on my stream it says 10/11 (Recommended.)

Whether it actually does anything is a whole other issue...

Edit: Never mind, I did a dxdiag and it says I have DirectX Version: 11

DXdiag tells you which DX version you have installed, not which one your card supports. The 9800 GTX is a DX10 card and will work in DX10 / 11 mode, but shouldnt support tessellation.

I am disappointed. I was hoping not to have to buy a new graphics card until HD 68xx series came out. Should I wait - is DX9 good enough.

If all you're looking for is a card to play Civ V, then a GTX 450 is completely fine.

Play it in DX10/11 mode. It will be fine. I can play it with everything maxed out with 4AA in 1920x1080 with my HD4770.

I'm using an HD4200, playing on DX10, and the visuals are perfect except for the oceans rolling slowly, and the hexes semi-visible on the cloud edges. I'm kinda shocked. My settings are all high, with leaders on medium. Would changing these settings give me better performance on some level?

My CIV5 keeps crashing with DX10/11 but if I select DX9 CIV5 then it works without any problems.

Any tips?

System:

Lenovo Thinkpad W500, DX11 installed. Windows 7. 4 gt ram. ATI Mobility FIREGL V5700. Latest drivers installedaccording to ThinkVantage update.

Top Bottom