Announcing BUFFY

Hello, I need help. I recently downloaded the Buffy MOD so I can submit my games. I am running Vista so it took a long process of trial and error to actually get the damn thing to work. I also Have downloaded the Map Finder V1.9. I can not get the damn thing to work. I am playing in the Mod and trying to use the map finder and am getting the message: "Map Finder Save Path is Invalid: C:/ Program files/ Civ4_Map_Finder/ saves". I've been tinkering with it but can not get it to work. Doing research on the site suggests I should be able to see map finder options from within the Buffy Mod options menu. However I cannot see the HOF# tabs. Someone please help. I am a long time silent troll of this site and am looking to take a more active part in the community. Someone please help.

The BUFFY default directory for Map Finder is wrong.

If you look in BUFFY options (Ctl-Alt-O I think) and look at the mapfinder tab, you'll find the directory listed there (C:\program files\map finder), isn't where map finder actually is, change it to the actual directory (probably C:\users\<your user name>\my documents\my games\map finder).

Not in front of my civ computer at the moment so might have the directories slightly wrong.

If you are looking to take part in the Hall of Fame, you can also post there for help, same for Game of the Month.

Let me know if you need more help.

So, :bump: !

I'm encountering an issue with Buffy. Whenever I try to reload an earlier save from in-game the game quite immediately has a CTD. If anyone of you fine folks would actually bother to look into a dump or a save I'd happily provide one. ;)

Any thoughts on this one?

Someone in a BAT thread said that this happens to them when they have music enabled--even with regular BTS. When they turn off the music in the options menu (not just using CTRL + M), it goes away and they can load saves from within a game.

Someone in a BAT thread said that this happens to them when they have music enabled--even with regular BTS. When they turn off the music in the options menu (not just using CTRL + M), it goes away and they can load saves from within a game.

I've never encountered the CTD problem and I always have music disabled so maybe this is right.

I'm encountering an issue with Buffy. Whenever I try to reload an earlier save from in-game the game quite immediately has a CTD. If anyone of you fine folks would actually bother to look into a dump or a save I'd happily provide one. ;)
Here are the posts discussing the issue that EF mentioned ...

First of all Hi there, and thanks for a very enjoyable mod. Just tried it out a couple days ago for the first time and it's really amazing!

I originally had the same problem with CTDs when trying to exit to main menu under Win7-64.

What I found out is that when I disable in-game Music before exiting to main menu, my game doesn't crash...at least hasn't so far in what must have been at least 30 tries...with music turned on it would crash ~9 out of 10 times. I have onboard Realtek sound btw, so nothing fancy there.

I suspect it has something to do with the Main Menu Music Theme. If you disable the music from the options screen it will also disable the main menu theme. When I still had music turned on, at the rare occasion that I wouldn't get a CTD when exiting to main menu, the sound would stutter suddenly and it seemed like the music tried to continue from the point where I had been during my last visit to the main menu (like just being set to pause while I was actually in-game)

I checked back with what standard-BTS does, and there the music will start over everytime you go into the main menu (and no CTDing with Music on either)

Keep in mind that you have to disable the music from the options screen :
ESC->Options->Sound Tab->Click the Checkbox named "No Sound" underneath the "Music" Slider

Just disabling Music with Ctrl-M Hotkey will NOT work ...at least doesn't for me, coincidentally that key combo only disables in-game music, not the one in the main menu.

I have no idea if this workaround is known or whether it even works for other people, just thought I'd let you know, maybe it helps someone.
Hello. Thank you for the nice words. I'm happy that you enjoy BAT. :)

I also want to thank you for the good synopsis of the CTD problem. It got me thinking a little. The audio XML is rather fussy about the formatting and the whitespace in the files, so I did a compare with the normal BTS files and found some discrepancies.

If I may ask, would you like to help me with a small experiment? (Please) Since your machine will crash regularly, while mine will not, could you unzip the two (repaired) XML files that I have attached and place them into your BAT Mod 3.0\Assets\XML\Audio folder? Please make sure to rename the originals first. Then, if you could set up your machine so it would normally CTD for you and give it a try.

There's no rush, but if it works, please let me know. I know that many people, especially me, would be grateful if this fixes it. Just think... fame and glory could be yours. ;)

View attachment 287935
Hi again, I just tested it, and it indeed seems to fix the problem. Not a single CTD for me since I replaced those files, even with music enabled.

Thanks for the quick fix ! Just hoping this will help the other people as well with their CTDs, you never know...

Btw, you can keep all the fame and glory, was just pure luck on my part :p

Thanks for those links, Ruff. That makes it seem like it was BAT-specific since BUFFY doesn't add any music files.

Thanks for the help folks. :) You've just proven once more that CFC simply remains THE place to ask questions about the game.

Since I always have music on with a customized music folder this leaves me with either "music and exit to main menu to reload" or "no music and reload". Or maybe with Lemon Merchant's fix. I'll give you an update as soon as I have more information and experience about it.

:thanx:

Thanks for those links, Ruff. That makes it seem like it was BAT-specific since BUFFY doesn't add any music files.
Thanks from me too, ruff. :)

@ EF:

The problem turned out to be an extra line in an audio define XML file. I always had music off, and so it never happened with me. I've left the music on and every game that I play, I exit to MM at least once. I haven't had a CTD since my initial test with the old file, so it appears that the fix does work.

There were a couple of other mods that used the file, and I think it got around a little, causing much mayhem. The audio files are extremely fussy about whitespace. :crazyeye:

How do I uninstall BUFFY? I don't see a program link with Uninstall on it. I'm uninstalling it so I can clear Civ IV of mods and play multiplayer with less problems. :)

You can delete the BUFFY folder inside BTS's Mods folder, but unless you load the mod using the shortcut or ADVANCED menu, it is ignored by BTS.

My Buffy doesn't have options. There's no options button as in Bug and Ctl+Alt+O does nothing. The normal Civ 4 options have no Buffy options. What do I have to do to get the options screen up and running?

I'm playing on Vista Sp2. Installed Bug as a mod. I am on first admin account.

Are you sure that you have loaded BUFFY? You mention BUFFY and installing BUG as a mod--did you install both? BUFFY includes BUG so you only need BUFFY unless you also want to play regular BUG games.

You'll be able to tell if BUFFY is running by hovering over your flag next to the minimap in a game. The hover text will tell you the version of BUFFY.

I apologies for the thread necro but I did have a question regarding BUFFY, mainly in that does it include the Multiple Production Mod? If not any thoughts on how to get the two to work together?

I apologies for the thread necro but I did have a question regarding BUFFY, mainly in that does it include the Multiple Production Mod? If not any thoughts on how to get the two to work together?
No it does not. BUFFY is (at heart) a mod that is not intended to change the basic game. And NO to the second part too.

Hi guys,

I know, I have been living under a rock for some time now, because I just heard a few days ago about the BUFFY-mod. Of course I instantly ordered me a copy of BtS to try it out. Now I got a question, though. I want all the shiny new features of BULL, which are not included, right?! Where can I download it and how do I install it?

I've got a (minor) problem with BUFFY. I've changed the CivilizationIV.ini to load BUFFY. When I now start Civ as a normal user, it tells me that I won't be able to submit to HOF and GOTM and I should use an account with admin access. When I start Civ as an admin, it starts Civ without loading BUFFY, ignoring those lines in the .ini file (or maybe there is another .ini somewhere else...) - but I can load BUFFY from within the game (Advanced - Load Mod), which is a bit tedious since it takes some time. Any suggestions...?

I've changed permissions for the Firaxis folder as suggested here http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista.

Sorry for being stupid, but I have a question:
For games with a few opponents, the Exotic advisor is just great, but when I try a more crowded map, I find it more & more difficult to see the first row in Glance:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t1993ow159jki8k
In this picture you can see the first row is reduced to a very small line. It's even worse when I try a 18 civs game, where that row is nowhere to be found:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?x6t8c8hbho281ru
Since the first row is important in arranging leaders attitude-wise and particularly in seeing who is who, the Glance is almost out of service without it. And I can't find the relevant HOF exotic option to fix it - have tested some values, but nothing changes. Could you pls give me a clue?

Top Bottom