Be honest! Who currently still prefers Civ IV?

Does anyone think that the sense of unease about Civ V is in fact just that? The unease that comes from being unfamiliar with it, compared to a game that we now know like the back of our hands?
No sir

Kind of hard to do that when the predecessor had 2 expansions and more modding than a person can count.
They could more or less copy the functionality from the new to the old games. ;)

I'm still on the fence. I want to like civ5 but im not sure 2)Maintenance Costs. I HATE paying to maintain roads and buildings. F'in lame.

You hate paying for maintenance costs for your roads and buildings? I would think one added level of realism would be a welcome change from the past. History would be very different if governments didn't have the burden of paying for their infrastructure.

Ok - Played til 3am last night and have a few suggestions.

1. Don't play on too high a difficulty level. Yes, you may "own" Civ4, but play one on easy and get the hang of it. Winning is more fun than losing.

2. You can't win by excelling at one facet of the game. If you don't balance technology, military, economy, City States and happiness, you are going to lose. No more falling behind on technology and trading to make up. You need to consider what to build in each city very carefully.

3. Warfare is your edge. With a combined arms army you can do much better than the AI, but don't get cocky. If you overreach, the AI is good enough to take you out.

4. The game seems to pick a lower resolution than your computer is really capable of. If you have a card with lots of memory, but that isn't fast, you may be able to bump it up.

5. Wonders are much more of a risk. The AI builds them and it is no longer a way of "producing" money before you get the tech.

6. ALWAYS make sure you have enough money! You can ALWAYS buy your way out of any other trouble, but there is no way of curing a money shortage.

7. You are not going to win this game by the middle ages like lower levels of Civ4. This one will take time to unwind. Having said that, NORMAL speed is slow enough. I couldn't stand Civ4 on anything faster than epic and normal is plenty slow enough to strategize.

8. I used to pack Civs into Civ4 to make the game more interesting. With the city states, the regular density of Civs seems fine.

9. Take time to enjoy diplomacy. Just because you can't see the modifiers, doesn't mean you can't negotiate. Research agreements are very profitable. Build friendships with powerful Civs and unite against the Civ you want to take out. Relationships develop more slowly than Civ4. You can't make allies as quickly, or appease the other Civs if you are really in conflict over land. You can't afford to give away resources as much as you could in Civ4.

I'm enjoying it immensely. It suits my style of play, far more than Civ4 did, and I've already deleted Civ4.

The guy with the post about city specialization.

You had so many things to do.

Food is science?

There is not a lot of fun ways to play this game.

Like someone else said, you feed yourself, get happy and make war.

That is this game. I think that sucks.

Why dumb down CiV? I don't get it. This guy was a wargamer that made 5.

This is CIV the wargame. Stupid simplified and generic cities, all the same, to crank out some units.

I would expect combat to be better. It is.

There is NO game play fun. That is why all the boring posts. The FUN in 5 is the WAR.

I would like to have fun in war AND peace.

Anyway, that is my day 2 rant. Where is the fun.

PS One other note. Are you guys missing the red circle. Maybe it is just me but the end turn lights up and I have a settler to move and a worker. Why is it tempting me? You know it's bad when you don't know if you are done with a turn. But I assume this is me not knowing something about the interface, which IMO, like others have said, is clunky and not at all intuitive.

Hmmm....tough right now. But I just finished a really great game a few days ago in Civ4. Give me one more week with Civ5 before I really make up my mind. I like it a lot...except for the AI.

We wouldn't have anticipated the release of Civ5 as much if it was simply a graphics/ui update to Civ4.. it's different.. give it a chance.. I am.. I'm digging it.. though, it's obvious that almost all of my old strategies don't apply anymore..

BWD

Panzer general was one of my favorite strategy games so I enjoy this better. They need to tweak the AI to expand better however, they seem far too content to sit at 1 city for too long.

We wouldn't have anticipated the release of Civ5 as much if it was simply a graphics/ui update to Civ4.. it's different.. give it a chance.. I am.. I'm digging it.. though, it's obvious that almost all of my old strategies don't apply anymore..

BWD

This is called a straw man. Nobody is claiming they want Civ4 reskinned. That's hyperbole.

Updates like a hex map, one unit per tile etc are big changes. But did they have to remove complexity to do it? No they did not. That was a decision they made. Was Civ 4 just civ 3 reskinned? No it wasn't, but they added depth, not took it away. The whole point of using the same name and making it a sequel is that it is along the same theme. If you're going to completely change the nature of the game, make it for a different target audience, change the name. Name it Civilization: Revolution 2. :p

This is called a straw man. Nobody is claiming they want Civ4 reskinned. That's hyperbole.
Sure doesn't seem that way. 99% of the complaints I've read boil down to people upset that it's not close enough to Civ 4.

Wah, I can't see diplomacy modifiers!
Wah, religion is gone!
Wah, no slider!

I've seen this sort of thing countless times before. Popular Game comes out with a sequal, and a bunch of self-styled hardcore fans pitch a fit because it isn't just a glorified expansion pack. So they kick their feet while and scream while everyone else enjoys the new game.

To everyone who made it to diety and played civ nightly for hours it isn't going to happen with civ5 imho . Very clunky interface too many problems to list very slowwww to develop. Half the time I don't even know what is happening, VERY SORRY I ordered this from steam a waste of time and money

Perhaps it is because I didn't put thousands of hours into Civ 4 (only hundreds over the years and I wasn't really that good to begin with), but I feel like this game is a breath of fresh air into the series. Now I've only played about 3 hours so far (damn work), but I'm not understanding all the hate this early on. To me it seems like there are a lot of options within the game and it plays really well at least on my system. What I hope is they don't screw up the base game with future expansions and crazy DLC. So far I think they have a really good thing going and while there are definitely some things I would like to see added, overall I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far.

AFIW I don't plan on uninstalling Civ 4, but I don't see myself playing it again this month.... we'll see what I think after I get a few games under my belt, but I'm happy so far.

Obviously, what we need is an expansion pack to Civ IV, using hexes and 1 upt combat, but retaining the rest of the BTS features ...

They could call it "Civilization IV: Beyond Civ V" :mischief:

dV

Obviously, what we need is an expansion pack to Civ IV, using hexes and 1 upt combat, but retaining the rest of the BTS features ...

They could call it "Civilization IV: Beyond Civ V" :mischief:

dV

I prefer "Civilization IV: Change is Scary"

Only thing I miss from Civ 4 is the option to put a time clock in the top right hand corner of the screen. I do not see this option in Civ 5. So far, Civ 5 has been very fun to play and I am sure I will go back to Civ 4 from time to time for nostalgic purposes. I still go back to Civ 3 on occasion as well.

Only thing I miss from Civ 4 is the option to put a time clock in the top right hand corner of the screen. I do not see this option in Civ 5.

I noticed in the mod section there is a "example of a clock" I haven't tried to make it work though. It should've been in the base options screen.

Ok - Played til 3am last night and have a few suggestions.

1. Don't play on too high a difficulty level. Yes, you may "own" Civ4, but play one on easy and get the hang of it. Winning is more fun than losing.

2. You can't win by excelling at one facet of the game. If you don't balance technology, military, economy, City States and happiness, you are going to lose. No more falling behind on technology and trading to make up. You need to consider what to build in each city very carefully.

3. Warfare is your edge. With a combined arms army you can do much better than the AI, but don't get cocky. If you overreach, the AI is good enough to take you out.

4. The game seems to pick a lower resolution than your computer is really capable of. If you have a card with lots of memory, but that isn't fast, you may be able to bump it up.

5. Wonders are much more of a risk. The AI builds them and it is no longer a way of "producing" money before you get the tech.

6. ALWAYS make sure you have enough money! You can ALWAYS buy your way out of any other trouble, but there is no way of curing a money shortage.

7. You are not going to win this game by the middle ages like lower levels of Civ4. This one will take time to unwind. Having said that, NORMAL speed is slow enough. I couldn't stand Civ4 on anything faster than epic and normal is plenty slow enough to strategize.

8. I used to pack Civs into Civ4 to make the game more interesting. With the city states, the regular density of Civs seems fine.

9. Take time to enjoy diplomacy. Just because you can't see the modifiers, doesn't mean you can't negotiate. Research agreements are very profitable. Build friendships with powerful Civs and unite against the Civ you want to take out. Relationships develop more slowly than Civ4. You can't make allies as quickly, or appease the other Civs if you are really in conflict over land. You can't afford to give away resources as much as you could in Civ4.

I'm enjoying it immensely. It suits my style of play, far more than Civ4 did, and I've already deleted Civ4.

Very well said!

I believe that Civ5, with a couple patches and an expansion pack, will end up being better than Civ4. It needs time to mature and to get meat on its bones.

the hang-up with me is that I played a lot of Vanilla Civ IV, was never really that good, and eventually moved on. I recently broke it out in my excitement for V. At this point I have researched some awesome strategies and ways to play and am only beginning to really grasp all the awesomeness that is Civ IV. I have played it right up until the 20th. I have finally grasped how to use religions, GPs, production cities, etc...

After playing V last night, to be honest, all I can think about now is playing Civ IV this weekend.

And I havent even really scraped much of the surface of BTS or Warlords yet.

My problem is that Civ IV never had a chance to get stale with me and I feel like every game I play I enjoy it more and more. I am convinced its a near perfect game, and probably the best ever created. It hasnt run its course yet with me.

NO!!! I never liked the end game in Civ 4 it felt like a job. I hated the stacks of doom and combat in Civ 4. I just enjoyed the early game on marathon and would start over as soon as the combat unit spam took over.

The release of Civ 5 is a lot better then all of Civ 4 to me. I have played non stop since yesterday morning other then a 6 hour sleep last night and I'm having a blast. Well back to the my coffee and the game. :D

I have played the demo off Steam... i am not impressed its just Civ Rev with crap graphics and new features. all i like is the ranged attack and ruins
what i dislike is if you take on a city state it another city state declares war on you ???It has absolutely nothing on Civ IV :lol: I think its fair to say that Civ V was hyped and I will not be spending £40 on it on 24th Sept
Ste

Top Bottom