Anyone know if Civ5 has been pirated yet?

There's a group of pirates who would like a word with you about that.
Please tell me what kind of sites host cracked game images? I don't know of any such kind of sites. There used to be USENET many eons ago, but that was killed off.

Please tell me what kind of sites host cracked game images? I don't know of any such kind of sites. There used to be USENET many eons ago, but that was killed off.

Wait, what?

I can think of two off the top of my head but I'm not going to risk more magical infraction points posting the links.

Unless there is some website that actually does that, torrent sites do not host the content of the torrents. Also most of GoG's games have been out since the 1990s or at least early 2000s, and many of them are good games, they would have been cracked and pirated years ago. Indeed, until GoG came out it was really hard to actually find some of those games without pirating ( I was so happy when GOG came out, got a couple of games I'd wanted for YEARS).

Everything can be pirated. All it takes is someone with the knowledge and access. This also means that the more popular games have more people trying to crack it, and that small niche games are sometimes left untouched.

But, people, please do understand that there are no universal laws. That not all countries have the same privacy laws. That not all countries are a member of the WTO, and as such, copyright laws aren't shared.

Unless there is some website that actually does that, torrent sites do not host the content of the torrents.

I must've misunderstood what I read then.

To be fair, only an insane batch of people would host cracked images.

Let me offer an unique perspective on pirated games.

When I was young I lived in Yugoslavia. It was impossible to buy any sort of legal software at that time (except those made in our country) and Amiga and Atari appeared just before the war, so the only way you could have a computer was if it was imported (actually smuggled) from Italy, Austria or Germany.

Piracy had a status of (almost) legitimate business because there were no laws about it. We even had pirates paid ads on covers of computer magazines. All reviews were based on pirated software, obviously. Before you ask+, these magazines were pretty professional and hardcore. Tips for programming in Assembler, schematics, microprocessor programming guides etc. I'd say that from 1990s here in Croatia were went back to stone age, at least as far as computer sciences are concerned.

I attached a page from "do it yourself" section from one of these magazines I found on the web. Pretty cool stuff.
Hey, thanks a lot for attaching that :D I think it's enough if I say that I still dream of having a Galaksija computer! (from the "Racunari" or "Racunari u kuci" magazine).

Not true.

Moderator Action: *snip* no links please.

There have been sites for cracked images in the past, though the need for such today with torrents are almost nil.
I don't know if any such public sites are still there, but wouldn't be surprised if they were (there are for music).

8 out of 300. Thank you for helping prove how games without DRM are vastly LESS likely to be pirated!

Wait, what?

I just typed in eight games on their frontpage on a torrent site and without fail, all 8 of the first 8 I saw were pirated and somehow I'm wrong? I'm not going to go through all 300 games and I doubt you have.

As a matter of fact, I typed in "GOG.com" and without fail, I just got another 7 results with GOG.com in the torrent name. Meaning in three minutes of work, I managed to find nearly 15.

Edit 2: Just found another 16. Not even half down the list of games just on the front page.

Wait, what?

I just typed in eight games on their frontpage on a torrent site and without fail, all 8 of the first 8 I saw were pirated and somehow I'm wrong? I'm not going to go through all 300 games and I doubt you have.
Are those GOG games? Unless they are, I will have to assume that you have just found images of the original games (without the DOSbox and other emulator wrapper).

I re-checked the torrents, and found a total of 7 GOG.com games. More than the 2 I mentioned, but far, far less than their entire catalog.

Civilization 5 is #8 on the most active pirated game, just below Sims 3. Top of the list is Black Ops.

Are those GOG games? Unless they are, I will have to assume that you have just found images of the original games (without the DOSbox and other emulator wrapper).

I re-checked the torrents, and found a total of 7 GOG.com games. More than the 2 I mentioned, but far, far less than their entire catalog.

Give me a list of COG games you want me to find and I'll find them. Seriously.

You can't just say "well, those games have already been out" line because only seven games on the site came out after 2005.

Give me a list of COG games you want me to find and I'll find them. Seriously.

You can't just say "well, those games have already been out" line because only seven games on the site came out after 2005.
I don't have to give you a list: just search for "gog.com".

I don't have to give you a list: just search for "gog.com".

Is there a difference between GOG edition games and the regular editions?

Unless there is, I wouldn't expect many to have "GOG" in the title the same way the Black Ops torrents don't have "STEAM" in their title.

Unless there is some website that actually does that, torrent sites do not host the content of the torrents. Also most of GoG's games have been out since the 1990s or at least early 2000s, and many of them are good games, they would have been cracked and pirated years ago. Indeed, until GoG came out it was really hard to actually find some of those games without pirating ( I was so happy when GOG came out, got a couple of games I'd wanted for YEARS).
I actually previously owned (or still own) the GOG games I purchased. It was just a hassle to make the original versions work under WinXP. GOG.com made all that so much more convenient. They also remove any DRM, so I don't need to have a CD or DVD in the drive. For instance, I bought Heroes of Might and Magic I, II and III from GOG.com, even though I have all three in my cupboard.

I actually previously owned (or still own) the GOG games I purchased. It was just a hassle to make the original versions work under WinXP. GOG.com made all that so much more convenient. They also remove any DRM, so I don't need to have a CD or DVD in the drive. For instance, I bought Heroes of Might and Magic I, II and III from GOG.com, even though I have all three in my cupboard.

Tell me about it. Try playing Syndicate on Windows7 without tearing your hair out. :lol:

Agreed, I re-bought Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader as my discs (which work fine) are pretty scratched up from years of use and abuse.

I'm correct. There's no obvious difference other than some coming with Open-source (and freely available on the internet) emulators.

Fact is, I would wager 80% of the games have been torrented and that's my "conservative" wager.
I'd wager that they ALL have been pirated from one source or another, because there isn't a PC game (and very few console games, there are torrents containing 1000s of ROMs of old console games from the 1980s and 1990s) that hasn't been pirated (any that haven't probably aren't worth existing). So why are we arguing about this?

Top Bottom