City States Update

Great and very helpful analysis.

Am I the only person who doesn't believe that the new luxury is part of Indonesia's UA? The phrasing does suggest that the luxuries won't necessarily be brand new ones, just luxuries which aren't available to other civs in that particular game.

That's certainly possible. However, when combined with the "unique luxury" hint, it makes you think this is the case Dennis was referring to.

Does Jakarta need replacing? Wouldn't Indonesian cities be pre-Dutch rule? I don't know, but I don't think Jakarta should be a city in what seems to be Majapahit Indonesia.

Jakarta is Indonesias capital. Check the new videos.

Some new news that is worth a repost: Ormuz and Kiev are city states:

I may have something to add to this debate. I've had a reply from Zac Minor regarding City States. He's not able to give us the full list of CSs from the Civilopedia, because that falls under the stuff he can't talk about in the NDA. However, he was able to share a list of CSs that he encountered while playing the game. The reply was as such:
"I'd love to help you out, but that is covered under NDA. I CAN tell you all the city-states I encountered in my time:

-Singapore
-Vatican City
-Cape Town-
-Cahokia
-Antwerp
-Milan
-Lhasa
-Panama City
-Brussels
-Buenos Aires
-M'banza Kongo
-Ur
-Kiev
-Zanzibar
-Almaty
-Ormus "

I'm pretty sure I can share this with you all (I'm sure Zac wouldn't have said anything if he couldn't) - I tried double-checking via pm, but I don't think anybody ever notices them :lol: - so if he asks me to I will remove this post (the last thing I want to do would be to get him in trouble with 2k after he's been so helpful to us). I've also asked if he's able to let us know what variety of CS Kiev and Ormus are, as I don't think we've seen them anywhere yet.

I'm kind of disappointed that Ukraine/Kievan Rus is now out - it was the only civ that I felt even had a hope of competing with Venice for the mystery European civ spot (unless Firaxis have seperated Scotland from the Celtic 'blob' - but that seems kind of unlikely). I'm kind of at the stage of bitter acceptance now.

I notice Bucharest isn't on that list.

There are some CSs we have clearly seem on videos that are not on the list. It is a list of the ones he did see, from what I understand. Bucharest and Kuala Lumpur are surely on the game for example, but are not on the list.

There are some CSs we have clearly seem on videos that are not on the list. It is a list of the ones he did see, from what I understand. Bucharest and Kuala Lumpur are surely on the game for example, but are not on the list.

Just making an observation.

Well, we're still expecting at least:

1 new Maritime city state of an unused colour-type combination
1 new Maritime city state that is purple (purple as opposed to middle purple or light purple) - Lisbon replacement
1 new Maritime city state that is grey - Jakarta replacement
1 new Mercantile city state that is peach - Marrakesh replacement

At a guess Kiev would be Mercantile and a peach, whilst Ormus would be Maritime. Could be other combinations though, it is still just a guess at the makeup of the total number of city states.

Just for the sake of completeness, the list of European city states that have not been spotted yet:

Florence
Venice
Genoa
Zurich
Budapest
Valetta

Both Zurich and Budapest point clearly to civilisations (Switzerland and Hungary) that have been excluded on other grounds, and the remaining all "missing" city states are Italian - Italy being obviously excluded, this leaves some local Italian civ as a winner imo. Venice most likely, but Tuscany, or even Sicily/Naples still in the game, especially if they just switched Venice over to trick us (e.g Venice is replacing Marrakesh as a Mercantile city).

Why is there sincere belief that Firaxis would do something just to "trick us?" That is simply not a very business-like thing to do.

It's boring to think that we've already figured out one of the two remaining with time to play.

OP needs to be updated to include Ormus and Kiev and some other ones I think confirmed by the post above^
please :)

OP needs to be updated to include Ormus and Kiev and some other ones I think confirmed by the post above^
please :)

We're down to Slovenia and Venice as European options.

We're down to Slovenia and Venice as European options.

Can It be (holy) roman empire or would the alphabetizing be based on the H

Can It be (holy) roman empire or would the alphabetizing be based on the H

Prague also pretty much rules them out, it was an absolutely vital part of the Holy Roman Empire and the capital for long periods of time. Another key city, Vienna, is also the capital of Austria. So yeah, whilst it's not impossible, the lack of Vienna and Prague, as well as the alphabetical achievement list (which could be wrong for whatever reason) pretty much rules them out.

I wonder if there is any Northern Italy-style civ that they could have gone with and that could include Venice, Genoa and Florence?

Nothing really comes to mind, as outside of Italy and the Roman empire, they have never been united under a single ruler (even for a short period, like Athens or Sparta under Alexander).

Edit: There is of Lombardy and the Ostrogothic Kingdom, I guess, but both are out due to the alphabet theory.

Top Bottom