Twillight of Byzantium

Yoda Power said:
Have you played them? Because in my own games I was able to win with them. Sure they are harder to play than the other civs, but there's got to be some challenge, afterall they were in a pretty desperate situation.

I've played them 3 times.Each time I got crushed. Maybe they should be given more troops at Constantinople and their other cities. Proably should give them a number of elite units as well.

Three times, that's a lot. What were the main weak points? Also what was your strategy? I would like to see the differences between yours and mine.

:)

yeah, that would be really cool, to see the different view of evrybody
it could help me as a weak player :p
LOL

I got some turns in! As the Ottomans.

Basically, I'm kicking serious butt. I have expanded in every direction of the compass and my troops keep riding through with ease. (Mind you, I am a Monarch player having a look around on Regent :mischief: )

I've wiped out the Karaminds in the south east and now border with Armenia (is that the right placement for them?). I'm working on the Aydin in south west Turkey now also and they look like falling fairly easily, judging from my assualts so far. I have taken cities to my east, right up to Trebizond's borders. Only Trebizond have shown much kind of resolve or ingenuity againgst my onslaught. I look forward to giving them a damn good hiding.

All the other Turks seem to lack any kind of cavalry, which makes my life a lot easier.

I've made advances in Europe too. Byzantium lost all their cities immediately surrounding Constantinople, which I've now contented myself to simply cut off, so that I can dedicate troops to slaughtering the Serbs, Bulgarians and western Byzantine holdings. (I was losing more than I was taking when assaulting Constantinople).

The biggest losers to my European advances (aside from Byz) have been the Bulgarians, who have put up some resistance and have attempted assaults on my cities. I'm dealing with the hilly terrain by bombarding their advancers and then slaying the injured. The old Jihad is proving very useful here. I did this fending off for a while, but then I gathered enough cavalry to make a dash north up the coast. That has succeeded and now I surround the Bulgarian capital, with one more city further north and a few to the west.

Serbia has been lively through all this. I took their costal city with ease and they've sent some knights and infantry down in a disorganised fashion, easily dealt with. The more I progress into Bulgarian lands, the more Serbs I encounter. They largely get slain but I'm wary of an organised groups taking some of my new acquistions.

Byzantium remains a presence in the Makedon lands. I've tried taking their large city beside my Serbian capture but failed a few times, as have others (do they have a defence bonus in there?) So I've adjusted my plans in the Aegean Sea. I've spotted that Serbia has three weak cities there. the first one fell already. I can see myself sweeping through the others and I'm contending for some of the smaller Byzantine cities too. Those Europeans just don't have the guts that these Turkish warriors have.

At sea I'm dominating my chosen territories (basically the whole Aegean). I've popped so many new Pirate Galleys that it's child's play for me. I've only lost one ship and that was to a Pirate ship that came out of the Knights of St John. I intend to press hom this advantage to take more islands here. Perhaps a war with one of the Italian States would do it.

War has however been brought to my door without my choosing, thanks to the Mameluks. They also roped Lombardy into it, along with the Bosnians. I'm not too bothered about the former but the latter I had in mind as allies. Anyway, I don't think this war will cause many problems, they're too far away.

VPs see me trailing Byzantium by a little bit. This would easily be remidied if I took Constantinople. But I'm keeping up nicely through conquest. No one else is challenging me for power or VPs now (about 25-30 turns in).

Points & Feedback:

- Generally this is one very good scenario as it is and a great one in the making. Its basis is very strong indeed, with much inventiveness and historical knowledge shown.

- The map is great and you've maximised its best features I reckon.

- The artwork is generally nice and very appropriate, with fitting ships and some dazzling leaderheads. City graphics are also pleasing to the eye, as are the unit graphics you've added. You could maybe do more here even, to replace some standard civ graphics like the knight.

- General settings for units, with HP bonuses, army capacity and variations in ability are well balanced (in my favour!). :D I'd have to play with some of the Europeans to see how this really is.

- Improvements are pretty cool too. Well chosen but their effects could be looked at again and tweaked. Some of them bring disproportionate benefits to their shield costs when compared to others (Temple, Jousting, Monastery).

- Lots of work on the pedia to do.

- Some of the naming of the civs is a little weird. Between the diplomacy, map and F8 screens there are many different names for the same civ. Some glitch seems to have occurred.

- The civ colours are also too similar for comfort. There's confusion going on between them on the map, in the F3 screen and the F8 screen. Not sure why but there is confusion here.

- I generally don't like Locked Alliances but, being a beefy civ, this is working in my favour. It's ok and suits the scenario. I look forward to being able to sign alliances.

- The tech tree seems well and good. Simple but effective, how I like it!

I have to play more to comment more specifically. But this is a great job you've done so far :goodjob:

Rambuchan said:
Armenia (is that the right placement for them?)
1199-1375 AD, this area was the kingdom of Lesser Armenia. Founded by the descendants of refugees from the Seljuq invasion of Armenia proper, it was an independent Christian kingdom that thru contact with the crusader states became rather heavily Europeanized (well, the upper strata of society, at least), before finally getting conquered by the Mamelukes.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna comment on it, but I don't have time now, and probably won't be around untill sunday/monday.

:)

Any reason why the Florentians don't get a pirate ship? They have a seaport, and to my knowledge they're the only playable kingdom without one.
The scenarios loads of fun though, I(Florence) have managed to conquer the Siennese kingdom, Genoa proper, and Corsica. I have plans to take Sardinia, then either Sicily or the hadsir? caliphate(the pink one in the Southwest in North Africa)

Rambuchan said:
- Generally this is one very good scenario as it is and a great one in the making. Its basis is very strong indeed, with much inventiveness and historical knowledge shown
- The map is great and you've maximised its best features I reckon.
Thanks!:)
- The artwork is generally nice and very appropriate, with fitting ships and some dazzling leaderheads. City graphics are also pleasing to the eye, as are the unit graphics you've added. You could maybe do more here even, to replace some standard civ graphics like the knight.
I guess I could replace it by another one of BeBros earlier knights.
- Improvements are pretty cool too. Well chosen but their effects could be looked at again and tweaked. Some of them bring disproportionate benefits to their shield costs when compared to others (Temple, Jousting, Monastery).
So how should I change them? Reduce the shield cost or give them better effects?
- Lots of work on the pedia to do.
What did I miss? I'm not going to do all the descriptions, that is too much work, and I doubt many people reads decriptions anyway.
- Some of the naming of the civs is a little weird. Between the diplomacy, map and F8 screens there are many different names for the same civ. Some glitch seems to have occurred.
Different names for each civ:confused:
- The civ colours are also too similar for comfort. There's confusion going on between them on the map, in the F3 screen and the F8 screen. Not sure why but there is confusion here.
I guess there's too many yellow civs? I probably need to change one of them then, but the other colors are so crappy.

Little Corporal said:
Any reason why the Florentians don't get a pirate ship? They have a seaport, and to my knowledge they're the only playable kingdom without one.
The scenarios loads of fun though, I(Florence) have managed to conquer the Siennese kingdom, Genoa proper, and Corsica. I have plans to take Sardinia, then either Sicily or the hadsir? caliphate(the pink one in the Southwest in North Africa)
I guess I could give Pisa a Pirateship:)

I everybody, I'm italian (forgive my english), noob of this forum:D
I played this scenario, and found it very cool:goodjob: . But I have some bugs to report.. Maybe it's a problem of mine, but the time doesn't run! It says "nov.", no year or other months..
And now, as italian, some suggestions: Venezia (ops-Venice) and Genova (I mean Genoa) were (for the time) as powerful as the british East India Company, with well organized bases scattered all around the east mediterranean, defended by strong garrison. Crete remained under venetian rule till 1600! In this scenario, if the ottoman player would conquer the Aegean, he can do it without problems! And don't you think the unit animation are a little slow (i.e. the italian pikeman or swordman)? Now you can kill me for all these criticism

Well don't worry, I'm not gonna kill you:p

I guess the reason it says nov is because you have the Italian version of civ? In that case try to delete the "labels.txt" file in the scenario.

Maybe Venice and Genoa could use some extra power, but I actually think they are pretty powerfull already. I could makw their UU's better, but I'm not sure if that would really solve the problem.

I can't really do anything about the speed of the units. They should however get some sounds.

BTW welcome to the forum:goodjob:

Rambuchan said:
I've been waiting to try this one out. Fascinating period here. Good on you for getting it out there. I'm looking forward to reporting back when I get the chance. :goodjob:

I have also been waiting to see a Byzantine scenario.

Yoda Power said:
I'm not going to do all the descriptions, that is too much work, and I doubt many people reads decriptions anyway.

I do!

[pinktilapia] Man, you've got to get a better connection! How did you ever upload RFRE?

pinktilapia said:
Still trying to DL (2KB per sec :cry:) but the SS are amazing. Varwnos cities are beautiful. I hope I can get it before my 9 hours at work are done.
All the cities were done by me and Aion:p

Plotinus - I'm sorry, but I just don't have the time to do it, when I'm also working on my new project:mischief:

Top Bottom