"You now choose which religion you found when researching religion founding techs".?

I will appreciate this change, as I like to have the religion appropriate to my civ. Do we know if the AI will be able to "choose" the religion it founds (meaning, generating the choice randomly or based on pre-programmed preferences), or will it just follow the normal course, so that only the humans have the choice.

This is a great change, but I do hope you can turn it off :/

I hope that too. The religion techs are just fine. It's always a challenge to get Theocractic Islam without having any religion in any of your cities (Theocracy is also easier now, it's available after build of Shwedagon Paya). I like this style, especially if I'm playing as Saladin of Arabia. Playing with 'choose religions' should be an option in Custom Game menu. If religions of Egypt, Greece and Rome (maybe there's more civs which have lack of their real state religion) would be included, leaders could have Favourite Religions. They would make game with this option much more interesting (they would choose first their favourite religion and then religions related to it (Buddhism-Hinduism, Confucianism-Taoism, Judaism-Christianity-Islam)).

I wonder why thay have made this change, I think the old system is great. I could see that this change would be good if there was more religions than religion-founding-techs, like have acient greek mythology as a religion but the maximum amount of diffirent religions in game would be the same.
But now? Well if it just is a custom game option I guess it is just good to have more options...

I wonder why thay have made this change, I think the old system is great. I could see that this change would be good if there was more religions than religion-founding-techs, like have acient greek mythology as a religion but the maximum amount of diffirent religions in game would be the same.
But now? Well if it just is a custom game option I guess it is just good to have more options...

For one thing, it gets boring to always found the same religions. Also, some people might have favourite religions and be disappointed if they don't get them.

For one thing, it gets boring to always found the same religions. Also, some people might have favourite religions and be disappointed if they don't get them.

'zactly. And, for all the realists out their, it makes it slightly more realistic in some ways. Come on, Islam having a tiny amount (usually >5%) religious presence is silly.

I look forward to having Islam be the dominate religion once in awhile.

In vanilla and warlords, when you get a message like "Islam has been founded" you immediately know that someone has researched divine right, whereas in BtS, you can't rely on this.

So for example, if you'r aiming for one of the two early religions(budhism, hinduism) and you get the message "buddhism has been founded" you can't tell whether it's been founded through meditation or polytheism, which makes your choice of reaserch more problematic.

Also, as said before, the early religions(buddhism, hinduism and judaism) are the most prominent religions in almost every game, which, after a while becomes boring.

^ there's also a fav religion so Islam and Christianity might be more important as well.

Yes, I saw it too somewhere that leaders now have a favorite religion, but I wonder if it just determines which one they'll pick when they found, and/or if it will affect diplomacy. I'm having a bit trouble with the idea of getting a positive modifier with a civ for running Christianity because it's the leader's fav religion, while they themselves happen to be Jews this game. "Wow, you're cool, your god is so much better than ours!" :crazyeye:

In vanilla and warlords, when you get a message like "Islam has been founded" you immediately know that someone has researched divine right, whereas in BtS, you can't rely on this.

So for example, if you'r aiming for one of the two early religions(budhism, hinduism) and you get the message "buddhism has been founded" you can't tell whether it's been founded through meditation or polytheism, which makes your choice of reaserch more problematic.

Also, as said before, the early religions(buddhism, hinduism and judaism) are the most prominent religions in almost every game, which, after a while becomes boring.

You know, once you have alphabet and the religion bulletin comes, you can just check the relations menu

But that's when you have Alphabet. Many people don't tend to have Alphabet that early.

Well you can always sort of guess

The first religion to be founded will always 9/10 be meditation, shortly followed by polythestic. Monothetis will always be next. By the time codes of law is research, someone will reached (mainly the human player) Alphabet.

To me, this is one of the best changes in BtS.

You can't be serious...this is merely gravy. :crazyeye:

Hello? Espionage? Blockading of trade routes?

Personally I like this new feature because I don't like Isabella founding buddhism just because she tends towards religious development. Nor do I like having a religion forced on me just because I need to research a certain tech to advance. Now if you play with religion purely as a tool of management, then it will matter not what religion you have or what religions other civs have, but I usually enjoy championing the religion commonly associated with the civ I play.

But there are problems with this, and the addittion of a 'favoured religion' flag with leaders or civs. Which civs in the game are Jewish? What is China? Buddhist, Taoist or Confucianist? This would lead to those civs still ending up in odd places, like civs which are associated with religions not appearing in the game, vikings, aztecs, egyptians, romans, greek etc.

Anyway, I like religions in the game, but this feature makes it even better. Yet it would be nicer if the religions were made to fit the civs we can actually play.

I thought this option was non-standard (like the new option to choose any leader/civ combination.)

Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Top Bottom