Design an Event contest (public poll)

Which event should be added to FfH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kael

Deity
Vote for your favorite entry. Voting remains open until December 9th.

Bring Em Back Alive
by charleswatkins
1. uncommon
2. requirement: Carnival, not all of (wolf/lion/tiger/gorilla cages)
3. trigger: An intrepid explorer has returned from a dangerous expedition with exotic animals to sell.
4. options: show only those where no cage already
A Dire Wolf (wolf cage for 50 gold)
A Mountain Lion (lion cage for 75 gold)
A White Tiger (tiger cage for 100 gold)
A Silverback Gorilla (gorilla cage for 150 gold)​

Commerce Feud
by Xuenay
Meh. I was intending to write a lot more events for this event chain, but then real life caught up. Here are the ones I have so far, I'm sure the team can come up with more similar ones if by some chance this does happen to get chosen.

I'll use the following designations:

[BigCity] = of the cities fulfilling the criteria for the first event triggering, the one producing the most commerce at that time.
[SmallCity] = of the cities fulfilling the criteria for the first event triggering, the one producing the second most commerce at that time.
[EitherCity] = in the first event where this tag is used, BigCity. Alternates between the two cities in every event after that. (So in the first event where [EitherCity] is used it's Bigcity, in the second it's SmallCity, in the third it's BigCity, and so on.)
[OtherCity] = whichever one EitherCity isn't referring to in this event.

Unless otherwise noted, all special effects that don't clearly have an "instant" duration have a duration of 50 turns.

Commerce feud

Requires: At least two cities with 1000+ culture and 60+ commerce each.
Requires: Trade technology discovered.
Requires: At least one of the following: Evil alignment, City States civic, Aristocracy civic, Consumption civic.
Frequency: Likely to trigger within 100 turns of the requirements being fulfilled. Will only occur once per game.

Text: Recently, the merchants of [BigCity] have had lots of trouble with their trade. Bandits around the city have come to possess increasingly expensive equipment, traders have had their homes broken into, and members of trade caravans have been bribed not to turn up when the caravans were supposed to set forth. An investigation has shown the blame to lie with the merchants of [SmallCity], who seek to increase their own profits by hurting their competitor.

* Compensate merchants of [BigCity] for the damages, and gift the merchants of [SmallCity] in return of a promise to cease such activities. (-250 gold, +1 happy in both cities, makes the feud inactive)
* Waste no time in seeking out the guilty parties in [SmallCity] and bringing them in front of justice, making a public example out of them. (+1 happy in [BigCity], -2 happy in [SmallCity], the feud becomes active)
* Don't interfere. Defending themselves against the agents of [SmallCity] will make the traders of [BigCity] more capable of defending themselves against other sabotage, as well. (-2 happy in [BigCity], +1 happy in [SmallCity], +a moderate amount of defensive espionage points, the feud becomes active)

Tension rekindled

Requires: Commerce feud must have triggered, and the feud must currently be in an "inactive" state.
Requires: The commerce of [SmallCity] must have exceeded that of [BigCity] by at least 20 commerce, and the two cities must both still exist.
Frequency: Likely to trigger within 50 turns of the requirements being fulfilled. Will only occur once per game.

Text: The populace of [BigCity] has been uneasy of late, annoyed over the fact that their old rival, [SmallCity], has surpassed them in wealth. Rumors are circulating on the streets of [BigCity], and people are now saying that they should not have allowed the feud against [SmallCity] to rest so easily - had it been continued, the hated rival could never have surpassed [BigCity].

* It's just rumors. Take no action. (The feud becomes active.)
* Persuade the people in [BigCity] that feuding will only make things worse. ((50 + (5 * (smiley faces in BigCity - angry faces in BigCity)))% chance of success. If successful, -1 happy in BigCity. If failed, feud becomes active.)
* Ruthlessly exterminate the people speaking such things. (Requires an Evil civilization or AC 30+. -3 happy in BigCity.)

Goody Two-shoes

Requires: An active feud.
Frequency: 50% chance of being triggered if the civilization changes alignment to 'Good'.

Text: The recent change in the overall atmosphere and ethics has made many people reconsider their previous actions. The citizens of [BigCity] and [SmallCity] have decided to put an end to their feuding and concentrate on making the best of their lives.

* Great news! Praise the two cities for their decision. (+1 happy in both cities, feud deactivated.)
* Great news! Praise the two cities for their decision, and throw parties in honor of it. (-50 gold, +3 happy in both cities, +50 culture in both cities, feud deactivated)
* Actually, persuade them not to. Feuding keeps people alert. (+defensive espionage points in both cities)

Naughty three-shoes
Requires: Commerce feud must have triggered, and the feud must currently be in an "inactive" state.
Requires: [BigCity] and [SmallCity] must still exist.
Frequency: 50% chance of being triggered if the civilization changes alignment to 'Evil'.

Text: The recent change in the overall atmosphere and ethics has made many people reconsider their previous actions. The citizens of [EitherCity] have decided that it was premature to let go of the feud against [OtherCity] - there's plenty of loot to be pried from the cold, dead hands of their neighbors.

* It's just rumors. Take no action. (The feud becomes active.)
* Persuade the people in [EitherCity] that feuding will only make things worse. ((50 + (5 * (smiley faces in [EitherCity] - angry faces in [EitherCity])))% chance of success. If successful, -1 happy in [EitherCity]. If failed, feud becomes active.)
* Ruthlessly exterminate the people speaking such things. (-3 happy in [EitherCity].)

Crazy pyromaniacs
Requires: Fire mana and the technology for mages.
Frequency: Uncommon. There's a minimum pause of 50 turns before this event can be triggered again.

Text: The feud between [BigCity] and [SmallCity] is once again causing trouble! This time, renegade fire mages from [EitherCity] have set fire upon buildings in [OtherCity]. There will be serious economic damage unless something is done!

* Ignore it. It'll teach [OtherCity] how to better defend against fire. (-2 happy and -1 trade route yield in [OtherCity], +1 happy and trade route yield in [EitherCity], free Fire Resistance promotion to all units built in [OtherCity].)
* Bring these renegade mages in front of justice at once! (-1 happy in [EitherCity], gain two mages with the Fire II promotion)
* Enough of this feud - tell our army to make sure that the inhabitants of both cities cease this insanity! (-3 happy in both cities, feud becomes inactive)

Blades for hire
Requires: The technology for mercenaries.
Frequency: Uncommon. There's a minimum pause of 50 turns before this event can be triggered again.

Text: The feud between [BigCity] and [SmallCity] is once again causing trouble! This time, mercenaries hired by [EitherCity] are preying upon the trade caravans of [OtherCity]!

* Ignore it. It'll teach [OtherCity] how to better defend against their enemies. (-2 happy and -1 trade route yield in [OtherCity], +1 happy and trade route yield in [EitherCity], +5 experience to all units built in [OtherCity].)
* Bring these mercenaries in front of justice at once! (-1 happy in [EitherCity], gain two mercenary units)
* Enough of this feud - tell our army to make sure that the inhabitants of both cities cease this insanity! (-3 happy in both cities, feud becomes inactive)

Tampering with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know
Requires: Octopus Overlords religion present in [EitherCity].

Text: The feud between [BigCity] and [SmallCity] is once again causing trouble! Our spies report that Octops cultists based in [EitherCity] have snuck into [OtherCity], abducting the local merchants and driving them insane!

* Ignore it. It'll teach [OtherCity] how to better defend against cultists. (-2 happy and -1 trade route yield in [OtherCity], +1 happy and trade route yield in [EitherCity]. Octopus Overlords religion purged from [OtherCity], if present. If [EitherCity] also had a Temple of Overlords built, increase all modifiers mentioned by one.)
* Bring these cultists in front of justice at once! (-1 happy in [EitherCity], gain three priest-level Octopus Overlord units. If [EitherCity] had a Temple of Overlords built, it is destroyed.)
* Enough of this feud - tell our army to make sure that the inhabitants of both cities cease this insanity! (-3 happy in both cities, feud becomes inactive)​

Glorious Combat
by Cadaveres
Commonality: Common
Triggered only after a combat in which the enemy unit had more experience points than the owned unit.

--

[King title], our [owned unit name] has defeated an enemy [enemy unit name] with greater skills.

1.- This is totally irrelevant.
No effect. This event will not happen again

2.- Spread the tales about the heroism of our military forces.
+10 culture boost in nearest city (closest to the battle tile)
+2 GPP boost (great general) in nearest city
+25% War weariness in nearest city for 20 turns (unless Nationhood, Social Order or Crusade civics)

3.- Our enemy has taught us important fighting skills that should not be forgotten. Study and learn from them.
Requires Apprenticeship or Military Discipline civics
The winning unit and the stack in which it is get +1xp
The winning unit gets extra +2xp
The winning unit and the stack in which it is cannot move nor attack the next turn

4.- Our military forces should not forget that... we are unstoppable!!
Requires Military Discipline, Conquest, Military State, Nationhood or Crusade civics
The winning unit and the stack in which it is get the Morale and Courage promotions for 5 turns​

Pining for the Fjords
by icantcmyeye
1. uncommon

2. requires market

3. A foreign diplomat has bought a rare Norwegian Blue from one of your markets in [City Name Here]. However, the parrot is dead.

a. Insist the parrot is alive, pointing out its lovely plumage

b. Send the diplomat to Bolton, tell 'em its a pun

c. Replace the parrot

a. suffer -1 relations hit
b. 80% chance for: suffer -2 relations hit
20% chance for: nothing happens
c. subtract 500 from treasury

6. Option C requires at least 500 in the treasury. Option B requires at least two cities.​

Turncoats
by blueparrot1966
The Turncoat - tax collector

1.- Uncommon
2.- must have a net negative diplomatic relation with "X" civ
3.- "A tax collector from "X" has approached our ambassador with a bribe in
exchange for safe passage to our own lands. Our response to this offer is
a delicate matter, but it does provide us with an opportunity."
4.- Shall we:
-take the turncoat and his family under our protection? (+100g, or some moderate amount scaled to the stage of the game, and a -3 diplomatic penalty with civ "X".) TEXT "The bureaucrat delivers the gold, but the "X" are not amused to see their taxes going into our coffers."

-turn him in to our rival. This makes it likely that in the future, we will not be trusted by defectors. (+3 diplomatic bonus with civ "X", this event will not happen again) TEXT "Our ambassador turns the man over to his king. An unsavory business, but the court of "X" is pleased with us."
5.- No requirements to choose either option.

The Turncoat- Gladiator

1- uncommon
2- Rival civ must have evil alignment, only occurs in early to mid game.
3- Barrabus, a popular gladiator slave of civ "X" wishes to escape the arena
with our assistance. He will swear allegiance to us if we help him avoid his
inevitable death on the sand.
4- Shall we:
-Plan his escape, take him to our capital and give him a hero's welcome
for his courage and daring? (-20 gold, +1 happiness in all cities for 10
turns, gain a lvl 5 non hero axeman unit, -4 diplomatic penalty with civ
"X") TEXT- "Barrabus example is an inspiration to your people, who take
him into their hearts as an adopted son".

-Help him escape, and quietly assign him to an army outpost far from his
native land? (gain a lvl 5 non hero axeman unit, -2 diplomatic penalty).
TEXT-"Barrabus is a good warrior and an asset to your cause. But his
former masters suspect he yet lives, and their resentment towards us still
simmers."

-Leave him to his fate? (-1 happiness in all cities for 10 turns, +3 diplomatic bonus with civ "X") TEXT- "Barrabus yearning to be free is well known, but he dies in combat, and his fall upsets those who had hoped for his success. However, the (civ "X") are aware that we could have saved him, and are pleased that we chose not to meddle in their affairs."

5- no requirements to choose any option​

Agreed.

How about a contest to determine which event should be scrapped?

I vote for one of the mining disasters which pop up more than frequently in a game. ;)

I think that they have probably already removed many of the anoying BtS events (and those that can never happen, because they are only for America, France, etc)

I too am supprised that so few events made it in.

I think the all contests would have gone much better if the community had been allowed to vote on all of them (say, pick the top 3 or 4 choices each, possibly after a couple were disqualified for being impossible to implement or drastically opposed to the games theme. Also, the designers should probably have been notified in time for them to replace their event ideas.) and then the team make the final decision.

Yeah, I agree. Nothing but disappointment.

EDIT: Just to clarify, disappointment from the contests. My gratitude for all the wonderful games I've played is still in tact. ;)

How an event certain to be in the game can be voted upon? It's like North Korea (he's going to be the boss anyway but we'll just check who don't agree...)
:D

I too am supprised that so few events made it in.

I think the all contests would have gone much better if the community had been allowed to vote on all of them (say, pick the top 3 or 4 choices each, possibly after a couple were disqualified for being impossible to implement or drastically opposed to the games theme. Also, the designers should probably have been notified in time for them to replace their event ideas.) and then the team make the final decision.

I'm guessing that they, if nothing else, needed to filter for ease of implementation. A number of events would have been pretty complex to implement, compared to the average existing event.

i agree entirely :agree:

The Monty Python humor is getting a bit old. It is the bane of a good rpg session, and it is at best tacky here (yes this includes the stuff already in FFH). If it was possible, I would give a negative vote to Pining for the Fjords, as I would rather have no event, than I would have that one. For the record: I like Monty Python, but not here.

How about having it as once-in-a-lifetime event, so it would be an easter egg you might get once or twice a year, shouldn't be too distracting

Voted for bring am back alive since the animals are impossible to come by - however I would suggest you get a animal unit instead so you can create the cage in the city where you want int.

same here, Bring them Back is very needed and I voted for that, but I must say that Commerce Feud is one heck of an event, very well written ! Congrats. I hope both will pass.

it was between "bring em back alive" and "Commerce Feud" for me....

what swung it for me is that I think (hope) the animal scarcity may be modified in shadow? (only me guessing) and the Feud had so much work in it and looks like a challenge in its self (and for me FFHII is just that) that it got my vote.

Change Bring Em Back to give you the animal, not the cage. It would be immensely frustrating for it to trigger in the wrong city.

Indeed. Personally I rather just see the animal-no-longer-spawning-when-the barbs-arrive issue addressed, but making this event give the animal would be ok too. I definately wouldn't want just the building in a random city.

Bring Em Back Alive addresses a design issue that I hope is going to be better addressed in another way.

Commerce Feud is beautiful and artistic and deserving of recognition.

But in terms of what the game needs, I really think I'd best appreciate more rewards for risky combat, and recognition when interesting probabilities occur. Glorious Combat ftw.

xienwolf, I agree that a backwards Glorious Combat would be good, too. Better, even.

Glorious Defeat
by mrtomsmith (with nods to xienwolf and Cadaveres)

Commonality: Common
Triggered only after a combat in which the enemy unit had fewer XP than the owned unit (and/or) in which the enemy unit had a 40% or lower chance of winning.

--

[King title], our [owned unit name] has suffered a horrible defeat by an [enemy unit name], despite our greater skills.

1.- Who cares?
No effect. This event (and Glorious Combat) will not happen again

2.- We must honor those heroes who laid their lives for the sake of others.
Costs a small amount of money.
Free Monument in nearest city (closest to the battle tile, does not already have a Monument)
+25% War weariness in affected city for 20 turns (unless Nationhood, Social Order or Crusade civics)
All cities with Monuments +20 GPP boost (great general). One-time boost only.

3.- Our defeat has taught us important fighting skills that should not be forgotten. Study and learn from them.
Requires Scholarship, Crusade, Apprenticeship, Military State or Conquest civics
Costs a little more money. (Or, if possible, drains some from the current research budget, to account for your thinkers focusing on this for a while instead.)
All Training Grounds gain "New units of [same type as defeated unit] gain Underdog promotion" (+1 against units with more Promotions that you) (but adding a new promotion might be asking too much, so alternately...)
All Training Grounds gain "New units of [same type as defeated unit] gain Courage promotion"

4.- Our military forces should not forget that... no one is undefeatable!!
Requires NOT God King, Aristocracy, Slavery, or Serfdom civic
All current units with <3 XP gain +1 XP. (Set to <3 to provide something for Apprenticeship, but could be tweaked for balance.)
All current units with >30 XP lose -1 XP.

There is a reason the animal spawn problem hasn't been fixed. I think it might be hardcoded that animals stop spawning when barbs start.

Top Bottom